Did you mean: 

How Many Bank Accounts do You Have?

tag
Steelersboy
Frequent Contributor

Re: How Many Bank Accounts do You Have?

Local checking

Local savings (rarely used)

CapOne checking and savings (rarely use either)

Barclays savings-main savings 

Ally savings (side savings for small purchases)

CapOne investing brokerage account

Vanguard Roth IRA

If a man empties his purse into his head, no one can take it from him. An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest. - Benjamin Franklin |Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards|Chase Amazon Visa Rewards|BOA Cash Rewards|Commence MC| Citi Double Cash| Amazon Prime Store Card|Discover It|Chase Freedom|Chase Freedom Unlimited|Amex BCE|Wells Fargo Cash Wise|Barclays Cashforward
$89,500 total card credit FICO Equifax-823, FICO Transunion-774, FICO Experian-769, DTI-20.4%
Message 11 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have chase as well which was a Wamu bank account that was converted to Chase. I opened it since i was 18.

I wanted a seperate checking account that i could use as savings so i opened TD bank the one that just needs 100 daily balance and no fees ever. I picked TD because at the time they were giving out this cool Kodak Cube when you opene any account with them.

In the future i do plan to open up a account with Pend Fed Or NFCU after i do my research but i know that for sure i want to have a account with a credit union.

Message 12 of 40
iced
Valued Contributor

@Adidas wrote:

Main Account: LMCU High Interest Checking (3%)

I just got this a month ago so still transitioning to it but it will be where I do 99% of my banking (I’ll have my paycheck deposited there, will keep my EF there, will use it to PIF my CCs every month, etc). I like that it is a checking account so I don’t have to worry about the federally mandated 6 transaction/mo limit on savings accounts. I used to keep my $ in an ally savings account to maximize interest but with 5 CC bills per mo + rent + utilities that became a problem. It also pays one of the highest interest rates available at 3%. It requires 10 transactions per month (I buy 10x$0.50 amazon GC online) and a direct deposit every month (I do $150 transfer from Ally) but I plan to do those on the 1st of every month and not worry about qualifying for the interest.

Other Bank Accounts:

Ally Bank Checking/Saving: I have all my accounts linked to this account so I’ll probably use it as a hub when transferring $ to other places. LMCU’s transferring ability is lacking.

Other Accounts Acquired for Things Unrelated to Banking:

Alliant CU Savings: for the Installment loan popular on these forums + they are local + 1% on savings isn't bad

DCU Checking/Savings: for a free FICO 05 score (mortgage version) every month so I can track my progress/prepare for future + 5% on up to $750

BoA Checking/Savings: for an extra bonus from my BBR

Considering Getting:

NASA FCU for a low interest PLOC and a FICO 5 score (mortgage) from a different bureau. The idea would be to keep the PLOC as backup in case I ever need to carry a balance somewhere (assuming my emergency savings are insufficient). I prefer rewards CCs which means I have high APRs so I could use the PLOC to pay the CCs and avoid paying the high interest from the rewards CCs.

The LMCU checking account looks very interesting, though the 10 transactions a month is tough (unless transfers to savings count as a transaction). Do you know if they'll let you have multiple accounts so you can break up funds into blocks of $15k? The fact you also mention transferr difficulties in and out of LMCU makes me very hesitant to pursue this one.

As it is today, I drop paychecks into a local credit union (DCU) and keep $750 in savings with them for the interest. Emergency savings (usually around $15-20k) sits in a Barclay's savings account. After that, everything remaining from a paycheck is used on an e-trade account (not really a bank account) or I give my SO a check and she deposits it into one of her savings accounts. I have no idea how many accounts she has floating around, but I know it's more than me.

Message 13 of 40
Adidas
New Contributor

Re: 10 transactions
The 10 transactions have to be from your debit card and they have to be coded specifically. It can't be used to get cash from an ATM or anything like that it has to be a point of sale transaction. I know the 10x Amazon thing works and I figure for $5 per month or $60 per year I'll get $450 in interest which is $300 higher than I was getting from Ally so worth it in my mind. Especially if I actually get something from Amazon then I've lost no money. Also a transfer from Ally to LMCU counts as direct deposit.

Re: splitting $ into 15k blocks
I don't think you can. You could do a his and hers to get 2 probably but I'm guessing that's the limit. However I know consumers credit union offers a similar 3% return with all the same requirements except 12 transactions per month instead of 10. They have a similar requirement that you use the debit card and that it must be coded as a credit transaction. So if you use Amazon for CCU transactions then you have to go into your settings and change the debit card to be used as a credit card. Also there is a doctor of credit page with high interest checking accounts if you want more ideas (http://www.doctorofcredit.com/high-interest-savings-to-get/).

LMCU and CCU were the two that offered the most return for the least work in my opinion and neither have fees if you forget to do it one month. Also fyi CCU offers even higher percentages if you do more work but it's not worth it in my opinion.

Re: LMCU transfer issues
Every time I have transferred $ to or from LMCU it has been competed in 3 business days and I've had no issues. What I mean is their online portal explicitly says you can't link other accounts to transfer $ to/from LMCU on their website. They expect you to push or pull from the other institution. So for example I log into Ally to transfer $ to/from LMCU.
FICO 08:743 EQ Bankcard from Citi, 764 EX from AmEx, 747 TU from Disc all updated 8/2017

Discover It $8,600 Since 08/2014 // AmEx BCE $23,100 Since 10/2015 // Citi DC $7,000 Since 06/2016 // BoA BBR $1,800 Since 11/2016 // US Bank Cash+ $3,000 Since 11/2016
Message 14 of 40
Turbobuick
Established Contributor

1. BofA business checking

2. Chase free checking .... they gave me $300 to open and I got a tax statement on the 300. lol

3. Scottrade Bank

4. Mellon Bank  HSA acct and brokerage acct

5. Banc of California  joint checking

Message 15 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Primary Checking with Navy Federal (Everyday Checking) - write checks for bills and receive direct deposits from employment

Share Savings with Navy Federal - wife and I both  have our own, used for weekly transfers

Money Market Savings with Navy Federal - Sparingly used

Wells Fargo Checking - spouse and I each havae our own for play money, convienent locations nearby our house

Wells Fargo Savings - Use for an emergency fund.

Message 16 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

CU- Checking 

CU- Share Savings 

Online Savings Account- Main Savings 

I have most of my paycheck direct deposited to my CU checking, and roughly 10% of gross direct deposited to my online savings, which I don't touch. It helps me a lot to have a completely separate account as my main savings, as I've found saving is a struggle when it is linked to my checking account.

Message 17 of 40
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

I have too many but I like all of them.

PNC- primary bank, checking, savings, car loan, and credit card. Great bank to me with very conservative lending practices.

SCSCU- primary credit union, checking, savings, CD's,retirement, and credit card. This CU has helped me the most with my rebuilding from my bankruptcy. Great CU!

Navy Federal- savings, Roth IRA, savings, CD's, and credit card. Very friendly and bankruptcy friendly.

PenFed- savings and credit card. Plan on using them for my mortgage or remodel. Excellent rates. 

SDFCU- savings, personal loan, and credit card. Excellent rates on loan and Visa.

Barclays- savings. 

Message 18 of 40
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

Currently six, two of which are joint with the wife.  At our old CU in MN I have a personal checking and savings, then we have a joint checking that gets 1.5% and a joint savings that isn't used.  I now have an account at a new CU in WI where we moved to that is 2.5% for our checking that she will be added on once she can comply with the Patriot Act BS of needing a utility bill.

EX700 TU 704 EQ 694 4/03/22
Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Flex- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $1,000 Victoria's Secret- $1,200 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $13,800 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-$5,000 AMEX Delta Blue $1,000 Lowe's $5,000 Navy Platinum $17,000 AMEX BBP $2,000
Message 19 of 40
SkyCommander
Frequent Contributor

I have a standard Chase checking account. Then I got a Discover checking and savings account. Considering moving my savings out of Discover and into Barclays but only .5% more do I really need to is the question.

Chase Hyatt | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Chase Freedom Unlimited | Amex ED | Amex Hilton | Amex Bonvoy | BoA Amtrak | CapOne Quicksilver
Message 20 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.