Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Many Bank Accounts do You Have?

tag
Threeof5
New Contributor

Re: How Many Bank Accounts do You Have?

I really only utilize one account for everyday purchases.

Chase checking for everyday stuff

Former employer CU, checking and savings but keep a small amount in each

NFCU, checking and savings, recently opened and not sure how I want to use them yet

Schwab Bank checking, use for my emergency fund and tied to my brokerage account

Starting 12/27/16 FICO Score 8 EQ 645 TU 643 EX 618
Current 6/27/17 FICO Score 8 EQ 797 TU 804 EX 782

Goal 740+ ACHIEVED 4/5/17 FICO Score 8 EQ 776 TU 762 EX 748
Message 31 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Active Accounts:

I have 7 actively used accounts - mostly used to take advantage of 'micro-savings' at various CU's I have access to:

OBEE CU - 7.52 APY on first $500 in savings

Inspirus CU - 7.00% APY on first $500 in savings and on first $500 in checking ($1000 total) - they also have a really good looking 2% everywhere card I'm going to try for once I'm a bit further from BK

STCU - 5.09% APY on first $500 in savings

BECU - 4.00% APY on first $500 in savings and on first $500 in checking ($1000 total)

NFCU - because it was free with membership (and you have to have checking to qualify for a Checking Line Of Credit)

Alliant - Share-Secured loan

Chase - Opened for a $300 bonus, planning to stay to improve chances of CC approval once my BK ages a bit more

---------------

Recently closed:

Wells Fargo - because I churned that $250 bonus like a boss

Global CU - useless excuse for a CU

US Bank - burned in my BK

-----------------

Planning to open within the next year (or sooner):

PenFed - because it's free with membership

Consumers - the pinnacle of micro-savings - 3.09% APY on first $10,000 (more if you use their CC...and they do have a BCE clone)

Santander - that $225 bonus is calling to me...

Message 32 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have 9 accounts in total:

PNC Virtual Wallet - Opened my first account with National City at 18 which became PNC. Barely use it anymore but keep it for nostalgic purposes.

Local Bank - Where I work

Cap1 360 - Checking and Savings, used it years ago but don't any longer. Saw no point in closing.

Alliant CU - I have a checking and a number of savings accounts for different purposes.

I like to split my direct deposit into a "bills" account and a "regular" account. The amount that goes into the bills account with each paycheck is half the amount of my monthly fixed bills. This way I know that money is set aside each month. I enjoy the two months a year we get three paydays as I can either save or use that money for another purpose.

Message 33 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

6 plus 2 investment accounts. 

Seeing as I'm in with NFCU i'm going to be closing some and moving the funds there now. 

Message 34 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I have 9 accounts in total:

PNC Virtual Wallet - Opened my first account with National City at 18 which became PNC. Barely use it anymore but keep it for nostalgic purposes.

Local Bank - Where I work

Cap1 360 - Checking and Savings, used it years ago but don't any longer. Saw no point in closing.

Alliant CU - I have a checking and a number of savings accounts for different purposes.

I like to split my direct deposit into a "bills" account and a "regular" account. The amount that goes into the bills account with each paycheck is half the amount of my monthly fixed bills. This way I know that money is set aside each month. I enjoy the two months a year we get three paydays as I can either save or use that money for another purpose.

I do this same exact thing Smiley LOL
I do a fixed and net deposit also best thing my company does for bills/spending. We also have a FSA I put into to cover all medical expenses, co pays and scripts and such. Its nice when i can just put money right from my paycheck into 4 diffrent accounts to keep things seperate. Then of course my fidelty is also put into that account. 

Message 35 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I have 7 actively used accounts - mostly used to take advantage of 'micro-savings' at various CU's I have access to.....

Santander - that $225 bonus is calling to me...

Hi TygerH!  Since your personal style is to open many bank accounts primarily for the cash you can make from them, you might want to explore the hobby of bank bonus chasing.  I make about 2k per year doing that.  That's as much as I'd make from having $20k in some fictional fabulous savings account at 10%.  And there's nothing inconsistent about coupling the chasing strategy with the high interest strategy.  It can be a both/and rather than an either/or.

You may be leaning toward the bonus chasing strategy anyway, given your experience with Chase and now possibly Santander.

We had some great bonuses available in the last three weeks that are now gone, but more will appear -- they always do.

http://www.doctorofcredit.com/best-bank-account-bonuses/

http://www.doctorofcredit.com/a-beginners-guide-to-bank-account-bonuses/

You may also like the high-interest option of an Insight account, which lets you earn 5% on the first $5000.

http://www.doctorofcredit.com/insight-5-apy-prepaid-card-5000/

http://www.doctorofcredit.com/high-interest-savings-to-get/

Message 36 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Alliant - Saving

Penfed - Checking and Saving

Message 37 of 40
Appleman
Valued Contributor

Prior to myFICO I utilized 2 banks. A local bank and USAA.

Since becoming active with myFICO, chasing credit card bonuses and checking account bonuses I have grown to 6 accounts.

I split my direct deposit between multiple accounts but USAA is my main hub. They make it very convient to move money between accounts.

YNAB has made it easy for me to keep an eye on where the money is currently sitting.

Message 38 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

LoLSmiley LOL to many!!! It's gotta be more than ten....checking ,sav, CDs,ira,401k

Message 39 of 40
TaterDawg
New Contributor

Digital Credit Union- My oldest "bank" and my oldest credit card, through former employer.

USAA- All my insurance and two CCs. Just moved Direct Deposit here with intention of applying for the Limitless card. Got denied as I was recently CLI'd on both cards I already had. Considering moving DD to NFCU if I can't get Limitless

Georgia United Credit Union- local institution, had my current Direct Deposit going there, until just recently moving it to USAA. Keeping for convenience of depositing cash when needed. No credit card, though they approved me a few months ago for a $500 limit via online app, only to revoke it. Since then I've gotten 4 other cards and added close to 50K in CLIs. Go figure.

PENFED- Just for kicks. Recently got a CC with them.

NFCU- also just recently opened with intention of getting a CC, but will probably wait a year or so and let some INQs drop off and accounts age first. Sort of intrigued with their Money Market savings account. Will probably throw a little cash in there.

As of 12/11/2023: FICO8- EQ- 828, TU-820, EX-810 - FICO9- EQ- 853, TU- 851, EX- 820 - FICO10- EQ- 822, TU-815, EX-787

* DCU Platinum $10K * USAA Rewards Sig Visa $18k * Chase Amazon Rewards Visa $7k * Kohls $3k * Amazon Store $10k * Citi DC $5.8k * Discover IT $5.8k * AmEx EveryDay $4.1k * Chase Freedom $3k * CapOne WEMC $10k * Barclay Cashforward $6.9k * Citi Premier $3.6k * USAA AmEx Cashback Rewards $18k * BoA Platinum Plus $15k * USBank Kroger 1-2-3 $10.5k * Amex Hilton Honors $8.7k * PenFed Platinum Rewards $10k * PayPal Credit $5.3k * NFCU GoRewards $18.6k * Walmart MC $10k * AMEX BCP $5K * 5/3 Bank Truly Simple $4.5k * AMEX Gold* CapOne Venture $10K* Chase Southwest RR $7.9k* Citi Costco $7k* Sam's Club MC $10k*
Message 40 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.