Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
Valued Member

Re: How Many Bank Accounts do You Have?

I really only utilize one account for everyday purchases.

Chase checking for everyday stuff

Former employer CU, checking and savings but keep a small amount in each

NFCU, checking and savings, recently opened and not sure how I want to use them yet

Schwab Bank checking, use for my emergency fund and tied to my brokerage account

Starting 12/27/16 FICO Score 8 EQ 645 TU 643 EX 618
Current 3/27/17 FICO Score 8 EQ 716 TU 692 EX 681

Goal 740+ ACHIEVED 4/5/17 FICO Score 8 EQ 776 TU 762 EX 748
Established Contributor

Active Accounts:

I have 7 actively used accounts - mostly used to take advantage of 'micro-savings' at various CU's I have access to:

OBEE CU - 7.52 APY on first $500 in savings

Inspirus CU - 7.00% APY on first $500 in savings and on first $500 in checking ($1000 total) - they also have a really good looking 2% everywhere card I'm going to try for once I'm a bit further from BK

STCU - 5.09% APY on first $500 in savings

BECU - 4.00% APY on first $500 in savings and on first $500 in checking ($1000 total)

NFCU - because it was free with membership (and you have to have checking to qualify for a Checking Line Of Credit)

Alliant - Share-Secured loan

Chase - Opened for a $300 bonus, planning to stay to improve chances of CC approval once my BK ages a bit more

---------------

Recently closed:

Wells Fargo - because I churned that $250 bonus like a boss

Global CU - useless excuse for a CU

US Bank - burned in my BK

-----------------

Planning to open within the next year (or sooner):

PenFed - because it's free with membership

Consumers - the pinnacle of micro-savings - 3.09% APY on first $10,000 (more if you use their CC...and they do have a BCE clone)

Santander - that $225 bonus is calling to me...

BK7 Discharged 4/27/2016 - Fico 8 as of 04/27/2017: EX 658 / TU 662 / EQ 678 - Follow my Journey Here
Regular Contributor

I have 9 accounts in total:

PNC Virtual Wallet - Opened my first account with National City at 18 which became PNC. Barely use it anymore but keep it for nostalgic purposes.

Local Bank - Where I work

Cap1 360 - Checking and Savings, used it years ago but don't any longer. Saw no point in closing.

Alliant CU - I have a checking and a number of savings accounts for different purposes.

I like to split my direct deposit into a "bills" account and a "regular" account. The amount that goes into the bills account with each paycheck is half the amount of my monthly fixed bills. This way I know that money is set aside each month. I enjoy the two months a year we get three paydays as I can either save or use that money for another purpose.

FICO Scores (4/4/15): EQ: 748 TU: 777 EX: 778
My Cards:
Amex BCP $25k (March '14) | Cap1 QS $8k (Oct '07) | Arrival + WEMC $10k (May '15) |
PNC CashBuilder Visa Sig $8k/NPSL (March '11)
PNC Points $1k (June '07 - First card at 19) | MB Financial MC $3500 (May '13) | Chase Amazon Visa Sig $6k/NPSL (April '09) |
Macys $1200 (Nov '12) | Citi Double Cash $9k (Jan '15)
Valued Contributor

6 plus 2 investment accounts. 

Seeing as I'm in with NFCU i'm going to be closing some and moving the funds there now. 

EQ688
TU676
EX686

Valued Contributor

dcamp2006 wrote:

I have 9 accounts in total:

PNC Virtual Wallet - Opened my first account with National City at 18 which became PNC. Barely use it anymore but keep it for nostalgic purposes.

Local Bank - Where I work

Cap1 360 - Checking and Savings, used it years ago but don't any longer. Saw no point in closing.

Alliant CU - I have a checking and a number of savings accounts for different purposes.

I like to split my direct deposit into a "bills" account and a "regular" account. The amount that goes into the bills account with each paycheck is half the amount of my monthly fixed bills. This way I know that money is set aside each month. I enjoy the two months a year we get three paydays as I can either save or use that money for another purpose.

I do this same exact thing Smiley LOL
I do a fixed and net deposit also best thing my company does for bills/spending. We also have a FSA I put into to cover all medical expenses, co pays and scripts and such. Its nice when i can just put money right from my paycheck into 4 diffrent accounts to keep things seperate. Then of course my fidelty is also put into that account. 

EQ688
TU676
EX686

Highlighted
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

TygerHawke wrote:

I have 7 actively used accounts - mostly used to take advantage of 'micro-savings' at various CU's I have access to.....

Santander - that $225 bonus is calling to me...

Hi TygerH!  Since your personal style is to open many bank accounts primarily for the cash you can make from them, you might want to explore the hobby of bank bonus chasing.  I make about 2k per year doing that.  That's as much as I'd make from having $20k in some fictional fabulous savings account at 10%.  And there's nothing inconsistent about coupling the chasing strategy with the high interest strategy.  It can be a both/and rather than an either/or.

You may be leaning toward the bonus chasing strategy anyway, given your experience with Chase and now possibly Santander.

We had some great bonuses available in the last three weeks that are now gone, but more will appear -- they always do.

http://www.doctorofcredit.com/best-bank-account-bonuses/

http://www.doctorofcredit.com/a-beginners-guide-to-bank-account-bonuses/

You may also like the high-interest option of an Insight account, which lets you earn 5% on the first $5000.

http://www.doctorofcredit.com/insight-5-apy-prepaid-card-5000/

http://www.doctorofcredit.com/high-interest-savings-to-get/

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.