Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
Frequent Contributor

Re: How Many Bank Accounts do You Have?

[ Edited ]

Local checking

Local savings (rarely used)

CapOne checking and savings (rarely use either)

Barclays savings-main savings 

Ally savings (side savings for small purchases)

CapOne investing brokerage account

Vanguard Roth IRA

If a man empties his purse into his head, no one can take it from him. An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest. - Benjamin Franklin |Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards|Chase Amazon Visa Rewards|BOA Cash Rewards|Walmart Mastercard|Commence MC| Citi Double Cash| Amazon Prime Store Card|Discover It|Chase Freedom|Chase Freedom Unlimited
$52,300 total card credit FICO Equifax-799, FICO Transunion-776, DTI-3.3%
Regular Contributor

I have chase as well which was a Wamu bank account that was converted to Chase. I opened it since i was 18.

I wanted a seperate checking account that i could use as savings so i opened TD bank the one that just needs 100 daily balance and no fees ever. I picked TD because at the time they were giving out this cool Kodak Cube when you opene any account with them.

In the future i do plan to open up a account with Pend Fed Or NFCU after i do my research but i know that for sure i want to have a account with a credit union.

Frequent Contributor

Adidas wrote:

Main Account: LMCU High Interest Checking (3%)

I just got this a month ago so still transitioning to it but it will be where I do 99% of my banking (I’ll have my paycheck deposited there, will keep my EF there, will use it to PIF my CCs every month, etc). I like that it is a checking account so I don’t have to worry about the federally mandated 6 transaction/mo limit on savings accounts. I used to keep my $ in an ally savings account to maximize interest but with 5 CC bills per mo + rent + utilities that became a problem. It also pays one of the highest interest rates available at 3%. It requires 10 transactions per month (I buy 10x$0.50 amazon GC online) and a direct deposit every month (I do $150 transfer from Ally) but I plan to do those on the 1st of every month and not worry about qualifying for the interest.

Other Bank Accounts:

Ally Bank Checking/Saving: I have all my accounts linked to this account so I’ll probably use it as a hub when transferring $ to other places. LMCU’s transferring ability is lacking.

Other Accounts Acquired for Things Unrelated to Banking:

Alliant CU Savings: for the Installment loan popular on these forums + they are local + 1% on savings isn't bad

DCU Checking/Savings: for a free FICO 05 score (mortgage version) every month so I can track my progress/prepare for future + 5% on up to $750

BoA Checking/Savings: for an extra bonus from my BBR

Considering Getting:

NASA FCU for a low interest PLOC and a FICO 5 score (mortgage) from a different bureau. The idea would be to keep the PLOC as backup in case I ever need to carry a balance somewhere (assuming my emergency savings are insufficient). I prefer rewards CCs which means I have high APRs so I could use the PLOC to pay the CCs and avoid paying the high interest from the rewards CCs.

The LMCU checking account looks very interesting, though the 10 transactions a month is tough (unless transfers to savings count as a transaction). Do you know if they'll let you have multiple accounts so you can break up funds into blocks of $15k? The fact you also mention transferr difficulties in and out of LMCU makes me very hesitant to pursue this one.

As it is today, I drop paychecks into a local credit union (DCU) and keep $750 in savings with them for the interest. Emergency savings (usually around $15-20k) sits in a Barclay's savings account. After that, everything remaining from a paycheck is used on an e-trade account (not really a bank account) or I give my SO a check and she deposits it into one of her savings accounts. I have no idea how many accounts she has floating around, but I know it's more than me.

New Contributor

Re: 10 transactions
The 10 transactions have to be from your debit card and they have to be coded specifically. It can't be used to get cash from an ATM or anything like that it has to be a point of sale transaction. I know the 10x Amazon thing works and I figure for $5 per month or $60 per year I'll get $450 in interest which is $300 higher than I was getting from Ally so worth it in my mind. Especially if I actually get something from Amazon then I've lost no money. Also a transfer from Ally to LMCU counts as direct deposit.

Re: splitting $ into 15k blocks
I don't think you can. You could do a his and hers to get 2 probably but I'm guessing that's the limit. However I know consumers credit union offers a similar 3% return with all the same requirements except 12 transactions per month instead of 10. They have a similar requirement that you use the debit card and that it must be coded as a credit transaction. So if you use Amazon for CCU transactions then you have to go into your settings and change the debit card to be used as a credit card. Also there is a doctor of credit page with high interest checking accounts if you want more ideas (http://www.doctorofcredit.com/high-interest-savings-to-get/).

LMCU and CCU were the two that offered the most return for the least work in my opinion and neither have fees if you forget to do it one month. Also fyi CCU offers even higher percentages if you do more work but it's not worth it in my opinion.

Re: LMCU transfer issues
Every time I have transferred $ to or from LMCU it has been competed in 3 business days and I've had no issues. What I mean is their online portal explicitly says you can't link other accounts to transfer $ to/from LMCU on their website. They expect you to push or pull from the other institution. So for example I log into Ally to transfer $ to/from LMCU.
FICO 08:708 EQ Bankcard from Citi 12/27/16, 741 EX from AmEx 12/31/16, 736 TU from Disc 12/21/16

Frequent Contributor

1. BofA business checking

2. Chase free checking .... they gave me $300 to open and I got a tax statement on the 300. lol

3. Scottrade Bank

4. Mellon Bank  HSA acct and brokerage acct

5. Banc of California  joint checking

BofA AAA Visa $22,800|| CITI Anywhere Visa $22,000|| AMEX BCE $22,000|| Chase Slate Visa $22,000|| Commence WMC $12,500|| Chase Amazon Signature Visa $12,000|| BofA Signature Visa $10,000|| Merrick Bank MC $9,700|| BofA Business MC $5,000 ||||||||||| FICO 824-820-814
Frequent Contributor

Primary Checking with Navy Federal (Everyday Checking) - write checks for bills and receive direct deposits from employment

Share Savings with Navy Federal - wife and I both  have our own, used for weekly transfers

Money Market Savings with Navy Federal - Sparingly used

Wells Fargo Checking - spouse and I each havae our own for play money, convienent locations nearby our house

Wells Fargo Savings - Use for an emergency fund.

Chase Freedom (5.6k) Chase Amazon AU (13k) CapitalOne Quicksilver (7k) NFCU cashRewards (25k) NFCU Business MasterCard (10k) Bank Americard Platinum Plus MasterCard (5.4k) Chase Slate (5k) Amex Business Delta SkyMiles Platinum (17k)
Valued Contributor

CU- Checking 

CU- Share Savings 

Online Savings Account- Main Savings 

I have most of my paycheck direct deposited to my CU checking, and roughly 10% of gross direct deposited to my online savings, which I don't touch. It helps me a lot to have a completely separate account as my main savings, as I've found saving is a struggle when it is linked to my checking account.

Current Scores------ EQ 690; TU 662; EX 687 FICO 08---------------- Last app 04/12/17
Beginning Scores-- EQ 632; TU 576; EX 619 FICO 08 (06/13/16) - BK7 discharged 11/2015

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Established Contributor

I have too many but I like all of them.

PNC- primary bank, checking, savings, car loan, and credit card. Great bank to me with very conservative lending practices.

SCSCU- primary credit union, checking, savings, CD's,retirement, and credit card. This CU has helped me the most with my rebuilding from my bankruptcy. Great CU!

Navy Federal- savings, Roth IRA, savings, CD's, and credit card. Very friendly and bankruptcy friendly.

PenFed- savings and credit card. Plan on using them for my mortgage or remodel. Excellent rates. 

SDFCU- savings, personal loan, and credit card. Excellent rates on loan and Visa.

Barclays- savings. 

Frequent Contributor

Currently six, two of which are joint with the wife.  At our old CU in MN I have a personal checking and savings, then we have a joint checking that gets 1.5% and a joint savings that isn't used.  I now have an account at a new CU in WI where we moved to that is 2.5% for our checking that she will be added on once she can comply with the Patriot Act BS of needing a utility bill.

EX671 TU 686 EQ 675
Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Visa- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $500 Victoria's Secret- $1150 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $1400 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000
Auto Loan Opened 2-5-16 $2858/$5500
New Contributor

I have a standard Chase checking account. Then I got a Discover checking and savings account. Considering moving my savings out of Discover and into Barclays but only .5% more do I really need to is the question.

Hyatt Visa | Chase Freedom | Amex ED | Discover IT Miles | Amex Skymiles Gold | Amex PRG

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.