cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I clean up my Chexsystems report?

tag
php111
Regular Contributor

How do I clean up my Chexsystems report?

I have a lot of money that I owe and I cannot afford it. I have two accounts in Chexsystems. One is from a FCU and the other is from a bank. What could I do to have both removed from my report? I cannot even apply for another FCU or even a bank. I could only get one that does second chance banking.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How do I clean up my Chexsystems report?

If the reports are accurate, you have to either pay what you owe or wait 5 years for the info to "fall off" chexsystems.

If the reports are inaccurate, you could challenge them, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

You can't just make things go away if you haven't paid your debts. 

Message 2 of 13
php111
Regular Contributor

And even if I did let them fall off in 5 years than I still owe them anyway?

Message 3 of 13
RonM21
Valued Contributor

I'd imagine yes, you'd still owe them.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 4 of 13
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@php111 wrote:

And even if I did let them fall off in 5 years than I still owe them anyway?

There is a statue of limitations on debt collection, and it varies state-to-state. While you may owe them money, they can't legally collect it after the SOL expires. 

However, they can refuse to do business with you until your debts are settled. Even then, some banks won't let you back in. This is known as being blacklisted. 

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been in Chexsystems about 15 years ago. I was in there for Bank of America, US banks, and a few others. 

You have to pay them off or else they won't do business with you. You can let it fall off, but I doubt that will do anything because they will still have it on record that you owe them. 

It's best to pay back slowly and make it right. I did that. I didn't have tons of money sitting around at that time but I had a few hundred in my account and paid them all off to make it right. That way in the future you can apply for checking accounts with many banks. 

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@php111 wrote:

I have a lot of money that I owe and I cannot afford it. I have two accounts in Chexsystems. One is from a FCU and the other is from a bank. What could I do to have both removed from my report? I cannot even apply for another FCU or even a bank. I could only get one that does second chance banking.

US Bank is a second chance bank just FYI. Good luck getting it all cleared up!

Message 7 of 13
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Years ago when I was having to watch every dollar I miscalculated once and incurred a pile of NSF fees at the bank. 

Back then the rules were different, and they would clear checks and debit charges in 'high to low' order which would maximize the fees that were incurred.  It was especially painful because I was out of work and every dollar was important.  Making matters even worse was that several of the debit card charges were for under $5, but the fee they incurred was $37 - each.  It would be another week before I would have any money to deposit, and by the time the 'dust settled' I was nearly $500 negative over a small error in my checkbook.

It was painful and caused a severe hardship, but I paid the fees.  I would keep that checking account for a few more years before finding one with more favorable terms (although I will add that was the last time I had an NSF problem).  Now the laws are different, and things are quite a bit more favorable to the consumer, but in any case it taught me a lesson... when it really matters, I'm very-much on top of my account balances now.

All that being said, I'm the last person to pass judgement on someone.  I will simply state that in my case even though it was painful at the time I paid my fees, and I've never had to be concerned with Chex being an issue when opening a new account.  I would recommend to the OP if there's anyway possible to clear up the old debt with the banks I would do so; things will be much simpler going forward.  While the 'baddies' will eventually drop off Chex and other banks will likely let you in, you'll still have the SOL to consider for your particular state (dropping off Chex doesn't make the debt disappear).  Also, don't forget EWS... many banks report to them as well as Chex. 

Good luck whatever you decide.  Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 13
php111
Regular Contributor

Here is an update:

1.) Good news about People First FCU is I paid it off.

2.) Good news and bad news about The Provident Bank. They had called the shots on my account by doing a review and done an investigaton and I never provided any false information. The good news is they waived the original balance of $1240.99 to a $0 balance and had reported to ChexSystems that it is paid in full. The bad news is they cannot re-open the old account and they cannot open any new accounts based on their policies so in short I never could bank with them again.

3.) Before The Provident Bank had waived the $1240.99. I made a $100.99 payment with my checking account an ACH transaction over the phone with the Collections Agency so that balance should of went to $1140 but the CA never reported to ChexSystems and the bank so ChexSystems and the bank still has the original amount owed which was $1240.99 before it was waived. What should I do?

4.) For both People First FCU and The Provident Bank are both paid in full on my report so could I request a removal for both and how do I do that?

Message 9 of 13
php111
Regular Contributor

Bump
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.