Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I pay taxes on a eBay business?

tag
JoshNurse
Frequent Contributor

How do I pay taxes on a eBay business?

In January 1 I started selling some services on eBay.  At this rate I will be at about $100,000 in sales at the end of the year.

How do I pay the least amount of taxes?  I have recipts to show ho wmuch I also have to pay to run this small business.

Let me know please. I am located in Texas.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
stellar
Established Contributor

Re: How do I pay taxes on a eBay business?

I would call a tax accountant/preparer.  I believe if you are self employed you pay estimated taxes quarterly.

Message 2 of 6
JoshNurse
Frequent Contributor

If I pay less by running as a business I prefer to do it that way. My brother and I are both running the business so profit is 50/50.
Message 3 of 6
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Basically you file a schedule C with your tax return and deduct auto expenses, up to 25% of your house as "office space that is 100% dedicated to the business" within your house, shipping, ebay fees, credit card /Paypal fees, cost of goods, etc. As a self employeed, you have to pay both sides of FICA (7.65 percent X 2). You need to do an estimated return every quarter and make payments to the IRS for FICA and estimated withholding. Double check local/state business licensing and sales tax permits. 

There are a ton of things you can write off being in business for yourself, but you need to keep detailed complete records, expect a greater chance of being audited and know that most of your so called profit will go to fees, taxes, etc. Golden rule is that for every $100 you have in the bank from making a sale, you'll be lucky if $10 of that is actually yours assuming you are selling items for double what you paid and have a good average sale. What I mean by cost/sale size is it doesn't matter if you pay $1 for a widge and sell it for $10 - you still have shipping, packaging, insurance, commission, etc that you have to pay. 

I would strongly suggest that you study up on running a small business, especially the tax/licensing/obligations, more so that on MyFico - once you turn your eBay "hobby" into a real eBay "business" lots of things change, especially with how many entities will be reaching out for "their share" of your sweat. 

Good luck !

Note, I ran small businesses for almost 40 years, 18 of those as owner-operator and the IRS came after me with a 10 year back audit 3 years after I shut the door and closed the business - results were ugly but even the greatly reduced settlement was painful and I filed honest returns. 

Message 4 of 6
JoshNurse
Frequent Contributor

@pipeguy wrote:

Basically you file a schedule C with your tax return and deduct auto expenses, up to 25% of your house as "office space that is 100% dedicated to the business" within your house, shipping, ebay fees, credit card /Paypal fees, cost of goods, etc. As a self employeed, you have to pay both sides of FICA (7.65 percent X 2). You need to do an estimated return every quarter and make payments to the IRS for FICA and estimated withholding. Double check local/state business licensing and sales tax permits. 

There are a ton of things you can write off being in business for yourself, but you need to keep detailed complete records, expect a greater chance of being audited and know that most of your so called profit will go to fees, taxes, etc. Golden rule is that for every $100 you have in the bank from making a sale, you'll be lucky if $10 of that is actually yours assuming you are selling items for double what you paid and have a good average sale. What I mean by cost/sale size is it doesn't matter if you pay $1 for a widge and sell it for $10 - you still have shipping, packaging, insurance, commission, etc that you have to pay. 

I would strong sugget that you study up on running a small business, especially the tax/licensing/obligations, more so that on MyFico - once you turn your eBay "hobby" into a real eBay "business" lots of things change, especially with how many entities will be reaching out for "their share" of your sweat. 

Good luck !

Note, I ran small businesses for almost 40 years, 18 of those as owner-operator and the IRS came after me with a 10 year back audit 3 years after I shut the door and closed the business - results were ugly but even the greatly reduced settlement was painful and I filed honest returns. 

Would i save with taxes by opening a company or business with my brother and I as the owners?  We are doing 50/50 profit.

Message 5 of 6
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

@JoshNurse wrote:

Would i save with taxes by opening a company or business with my brother and I as the owners?  We are doing 50/50 profit.

dba, Sole P, LLC, Sub-Chapter S, Inc are all treated "slightly" different in various ways, but as far as a small ebay seller/business you are going to be a sole proprietorship d/b/a to start. The amount of taxes you pay will be not really a factor for your start up, later perhaps and if it becomes an issue you can go to a S-Corp or whatever. One thing to remember especially with small eBay sellers is that eBay & PayPal will take 20% +/- of every sale right off the top. 

Again, talk to an attorney and tax pro if you are looking to establish a full time business-partnership, but just understand that if you expect to be in business for a long time, there is a lot more to it than splitting 50/50 "profits" that don't exist yet.  

Start small step by step, see where it goes and then worry about how to use the tax code to/in your favor (not that you should ignore it now, it's just not your primary concern at this point). 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.