cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do y'all figure out how you're doing?

tag
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: How do y'all figure out how you're doing?

@Anonymous wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

If you don't have a pot to p*** in, the only substantial asset you have is your own home in which you live, even that asset is mortgaged, and the only way you can survive is to continue working for a living, and you notice that when other people are talking about how to value their investment properties you don't have anything to say.... that's how you know how you're doing... you're doing lousy just like all the other 99%.

In this country, where the social safety net has been shrinking steadily since the early 1980's, if you don't have some major dough, you're not doing well, no matter how you'd like to paint it.

That underlined part of your quote is so so accurate.  My tax attorney is a great friend of mine and we get coffee once a week or so.  One thing he likes to tell me is that I could easily just disappear to the islands any time I want to, leave my homes behind completely, and probably be OK with just the cash I could withdraw from the banks.

Hearing that from a guy who is known as one of the best tax attorneys in the area is the best reminder that I am doing great, and I don't need to stick around if I don't want to.

Downside is that I do like working and I do like my neighborhood, but if the IRS or other tax agencies ever want to try to screw me again, maybe I'll take the ex-pat route and fly the big middle finger proudly in a country without extradition.

I know 3 guys who were high 6+ figure earners in the US who left for Belize in the past 10 years.  Left everything behind other than the hard money (bullion) they took with by boat and they're never, ever coming back.  Having colleagues like that reminds you that working from 13 to 68 may not be the life I want to live in entirety.

Well I have no interest in doing any of that exotic stuff, but it would be nice to have some peace of mind like ordinary people have in Scandinavia and some of the other western European countries.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 41 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

I hate snow.  Absolutely, positively hate it.  I don't know why I dealt with it for 4 decades but my trigger finger on doing "liveaboard" style living gets itchy whenever I get close to October/November.

I love Scandinavia (I have a thing for blondes) but after visiting there once in winter, never again.  Great in summer, other than their insane tax rates.

For me, a country with very low taxes and the ability to buy citizenship and with no threat of snow is a likelihood in my 50s.  I already have spoken to 3 different governments about buying citizenship and it's fairly cheap and easy to do, too.  Some of them have zero taxes other than VAT on retail goods.

Message 42 of 50
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@iced wrote:

The problem with material assets, including property, is it's only worth what someone will pay. I used to hear my friends all the time say one of their trading cards was "worth" $1000, but until someone actually handed them $1000 it wasn't. Couldn't put it in a vending machine and buy a soda. Couldn't pay rent with it, either.

Agreed 100%.  Since I started putting my homes on AirBNB it's really helped see valuation better -- instead of being depreciating assets that are just cash hogs, they're now depreciating assets that are actually making me a profit (I travel a lot so putting my house on AirBNB is just a click of a button or two and a call to the housekeeping company).

Most of my other assets I own have also become profit points versus just depreciating assets I have to store and maintain.  It's a lot easier to realize an asset's value when someone is paying something for it on a regular basis.

OK Revelate, I can now answer the question "How do y'all figure out how you're doing?"

If you don't have a pot to p*** in, the only substantial asset you have is your own home in which you live, even that asset is mortgaged, and the only way you can survive is to continue working for a living, and you notice that when other people are talking about how to value their investment properties you don't have anything to say.... that's how you know how you're doing... you're doing lousy just like all the other 99%.

In this country, where the social safety net has been shrinking steadily since the early 1980's, if you don't have some major dough, you're not doing well, no matter how you'd like to paint it.

SJ,

We just don't think alike, though to be fair I disagree with my Dad on an analogous point too and he and I do mostly think alike.  Just because I'm not in the 1%, doesn't mean I shouldn't have an idea of where I am: throwing up one's hands and saying "it sucks" or my father's "It's OK" and burying one's head in the sand is not smart.  Just because the people replying to this thread are likely higher net worth on average than this forum than others doesn't mean it's not relevant.  My problems may be individual to me, but this forum is applicable to (almost) everyone, certainly the 99%.

I may have mistitled the thread or drove the wrong impression from my original post; my apologies if so, but just because I'm not part of the discussion of how to value the properties doesn't mean I don't have a need to figure out where I am.  We all have different skills and knowledge, and my own knowledge doesn't run towards accounting besides very general principals and what I've picked up from my corporate life, why would I insert myself into that conversation when I'm learning from it and I don't have anything meaningful to contribute?

This whole exercise is not in comparison to others (which I care about not at all, that's worth literally zero in my life), but just for figuring out my financial capabilities.  Knowing where you're at is what determines your available options, and as much as I don't chase material things, doesn't mean I think money isn't important.  Just talking me though it means nothing to anyone else: it's not a bunch of rental properties, it's one of a dozen business plans with a buddy where we have the skills and that's going to take some amount of cash; if we took the shot right now how long given the required capital investment would I be able to live without needing to chicken entrepreneur or similar?

Or another side, if I sell the darned condo and move to Seattle or North Carolina or back to Texas or other places which are probably better for me (half a dozen Asian cities too) what options do I have?  Do I need to do job tourism?  Dipstick 6 month contract somewhere, no problem, or can I just go live in a place for a couple weeks and not worry about the gig and just talk to people to get a sense of what's up?  

Or pure fantasy land, I find a woman who wants to raise kids and is apparently dumb enough to do that with me, and we pick a place to live based on school district: can we make it work financially at all, or do we need to evaluate lesser options?

We have to deal with reality, and I'm of the opinion that understanding 1) what your assets are, and 2) what your cash flow is, and 3) where your money is going, is fundamentally important for people in all walks of life.  I do not see this as intellectual masturbation... unlike most of the things I post on this forum. Cat Tongue

        
Message 43 of 50
sarge12
Senior Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@iced wrote:

The problem with material assets, including property, is it's only worth what someone will pay. I used to hear my friends all the time say one of their trading cards was "worth" $1000, but until someone actually handed them $1000 it wasn't. Couldn't put it in a vending machine and buy a soda. Couldn't pay rent with it, either.

Agreed 100%.  Since I started putting my homes on AirBNB it's really helped see valuation better -- instead of being depreciating assets that are just cash hogs, they're now depreciating assets that are actually making me a profit (I travel a lot so putting my house on AirBNB is just a click of a button or two and a call to the housekeeping company).

Most of my other assets I own have also become profit points versus just depreciating assets I have to store and maintain.  It's a lot easier to realize an asset's value when someone is paying something for it on a regular basis.

OK Revelate, I can now answer the question "How do y'all figure out how you're doing?"

I guess this all depends on your opinion...I am definately not in the top 1%, but my SSDI is 2052 a month, my expenses are about 1500 per month tops, and I have about 500k in retirement benefits and 401k that I can withdraw any amount without penalty. On my house and vehicles I owe about 37000 total and the value of my house is at least 120k. I can not forsee any circumstances where I will not have enough money to last the rest of my life easily. As a matter of a fact, if I suddenly came into 10 million dollars, my lifestyle would not change at all. Considering my poor health, my money will very likely outlive me.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 44 of 50
wa3more
Established Contributor

Asset rich, cash/cash flow poor. That;s what happens many times even with high income/high asset people. If my friend did not have an earnout on the business he sold, he would have been screwed.

In the 90's , i worked as a controller for a company here in NY and our company owner personally knew, and did business with, the owner of a sports team ( Mets/Yankees/Knicks, one of these. My CFO tells me that Mr club owner owes us 200k and I should call his CFO and get it. I call and the CFO tells me...yes.Mr Sports Ower is a multimillionaire owns teams, planes and so on but has poor cash flow and does not have the money and he proceeded to tell me of all the toys and houses and so on he had. It took us 9 months to get that money.

Would love to move to Belize. Had a chance to go to North Dakota. Family did not go for it....

Message 45 of 50
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@iced wrote:

SJ,

We just don't think alike, though to be fair I disagree with my Dad on an analogous point too and he and I do mostly think alike.  Just because I'm not in the 1%, doesn't mean I shouldn't have an idea of where I am: throwing up one's hands and saying "it sucks" or my father's "It's OK" and burying one's head in the sand is not smart.  Just because the people replying to this thread are likely higher net worth on average than this forum than others doesn't mean it's not relevant.  My problems may be individual to me, but this forum is applicable to (almost) everyone, certainly the 99%.

I may have mistitled the thread or drove the wrong impression from my original post; my apologies if so, but just because I'm not part of the discussion of how to value the properties doesn't mean I don't have a need to figure out where I am.  We all have different skills and knowledge, and my own knowledge doesn't run towards accounting besides very general principals and what I've picked up from my corporate life, why would I insert myself into that conversation when I'm learning from it and I don't have anything meaningful to contribute?

This whole exercise is not in comparison to others (which I care about not at all, that's worth literally zero in my life), but just for figuring out my financial capabilities.  Knowing where you're at is what determines your available options, and as much as I don't chase material things, doesn't mean I think money isn't important.  Just talking me though it means nothing to anyone else: it's not a bunch of rental properties, it's one of a dozen business plans with a buddy where we have the skills and that's going to take some amount of cash; if we took the shot right now how long given the required capital investment would I be able to live without needing to chicken entrepreneur or similar?

Or another side, if I sell the darned condo and move to Seattle or North Carolina or back to Texas or other places which are probably better for me (half a dozen Asian cities too) what options do I have?  Do I need to do job tourism?  Dipstick 6 month contract somewhere, no problem, or can I just go live in a place for a couple weeks and not worry about the gig and just talk to people to get a sense of what's up?  

Or pure fantasy land, I find a woman who wants to raise kids and is apparently dumb enough to do that with me, and we pick a place to live based on school district: can we make it work financially at all, or do we need to evaluate lesser options?

We have to deal with reality, and I'm of the opinion that understanding 1) what your assets are, and 2) what your cash flow is, and 3) where your money is going, is fundamentally important for people in all walks of life.  I do not see this as intellectual masturbation... unlike most of the things I post on this forum. Cat Tongue

Sorry for needling you Revelate, but it's in my nature.

I know I'm overstating my case, and understating yours.

I'm just trying to make the point that if the only thing separating you from ruin is your ability to get a job, stay healthy, and make a living working... you're not in good financial shape.

In this country people on that tightrope.... i.e. the vast majority of us.... will get slaughtered if we're a day late on a mortgage payment or a credit card payment or a medical bill. That's not security; it's nothing.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 46 of 50
tacpoly
Established Contributor

@iced wrote:

If I were in his shoes and was needing to calculate my net worth on the spot, I would use the following rules against each property:

1. If the property is generating a revenue stream (rent), count the revenue generated rather than the property equity. This assumes a signed lease or contract is in place.

2. Once the property is under contract to sell, I will again consider the sale price minus fees and taxes and such as part of my net worth.

3. If the property is generating no income, I would count it as $0 (see below though). It may appraise and be insured at at 5m, and I may have a ton of money tied up in it, but it's sitting idle with no guarantee it will sell for 5m, so I can't assume it's wealth available to me until I find another human being willing to pay me for it.

In your friends case, unless it's generating revenue, that 15 million isn't available to him. He can't just pull it out and use it tomorrow. That said, you could reasonably assume a fraction of the equity is available as cash, either in the form of an equity loan or setting a price sufficiently low that the property is guaranteed to sell almost immediately. In order words, at what price could you liquidate that property? THAT amount I would say is reasonable to include. This is really the underlying point with real estate - were too quick to assume we know what we'll get for it. Often times we will, but it may take a while. Sometimes we won't. My parents got about 75% of what they thought they would when they retired and sold their home. 

This exactly.  We have a lot of investment properties we rent out -- some completely owned outright, some we are still paying a mortgage on (or rather the renters are) -- and we count only the positive cash flow.  We keep track of rough property values, but they are not counted with liquid assets.

OP, if you really want to "figure out how you're doing", see a financial planner.  Discuss your medium and long-term goals, figure out how you can get there, and set milestones on your way to your goals.  Then you can measure how you're doing against those milestones.  Check in periodically and when your circumstances or your goals change. 

Message 47 of 50
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@tacpoly wrote:

@iced wrote:

If I were in his shoes and was needing to calculate my net worth on the spot, I would use the following rules against each property:

1. If the property is generating a revenue stream (rent), count the revenue generated rather than the property equity. This assumes a signed lease or contract is in place.

2. Once the property is under contract to sell, I will again consider the sale price minus fees and taxes and such as part of my net worth.

3. If the property is generating no income, I would count it as $0 (see below though). It may appraise and be insured at at 5m, and I may have a ton of money tied up in it, but it's sitting idle with no guarantee it will sell for 5m, so I can't assume it's wealth available to me until I find another human being willing to pay me for it.

In your friends case, unless it's generating revenue, that 15 million isn't available to him. He can't just pull it out and use it tomorrow. That said, you could reasonably assume a fraction of the equity is available as cash, either in the form of an equity loan or setting a price sufficiently low that the property is guaranteed to sell almost immediately. In order words, at what price could you liquidate that property? THAT amount I would say is reasonable to include. This is really the underlying point with real estate - were too quick to assume we know what we'll get for it. Often times we will, but it may take a while. Sometimes we won't. My parents got about 75% of what they thought they would when they retired and sold their home. 

This exactly.  We have a lot of investment properties we rent out -- some completely owned outright, some we are still paying a mortgage on (or rather the renters are) -- and we count only the positive cash flow.  We keep track of rough property values, but they are not counted with liquid assets.

OP, if you really want to "figure out how you're doing", see a financial planner.  Discuss your medium and long-term goals, figure out how you can get there, and set milestones on your way to your goals.  Then you can measure how you're doing against those milestones.  Check in periodically and when your circumstances or your goals change. 

There's nothing a financial planner can do that I can't; end of the day I have to be responsible for my own actions.  

Anyway the money shot was the cash flow statement, I can see the pattern of my stupidity and therefore can fix it.  Appreciate the advice and information that you and others provided!

        
Message 48 of 50
tacpoly
Established Contributor

Okay, then do it yourself. Project the amount you'll need for whatever financial goals you have and set intermediate milestones in your savings journey. Then you'll see how well you're meeting those milestones.
Message 49 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

I look at the graphs on mint, here is one for my net worth:

net worth.JPG

The last few years I am in the black but living hand to mouth, not the best way.  My expenses are minimal but so is my income.

Going back to school in the fall going to try and get a degree and change that.

32 years old with high school diploma and "some college" = barely employable and not earning much

I used to tell myself just stay in the black and you're doing fine but that is short term thinking.  Going to try and save and plan ahead and invest in myself as well as my car.

In the past three years I have spent $17k in fuel, maintenance, and insurance.  Transportation is 50% of my expenses.  The price of gas is making my situation bad but being unskilled makes it untenable for the future. 

TLDR; I use mint.com

Message 50 of 50
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.