cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How is AGI calculated for a dual status resident when considering Roth IRA limits?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How is AGI calculated for a dual status resident when considering Roth IRA limits?

I moved to the US in October and have been earning US sourced income since then. Prior to that I was employed in Canada. When considering the limits for a Roth IRA calculation, "AGI" income has to be below certain thresholds. Does the income I earned in Canada before I becamse a US resident count towards that AGI? Or only US sourced income?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: How is AGI calculated for a dual status resident when considering Roth IRA limits?

@Anonymous wrote:

I moved to the US in October and have been earning US sourced income since then. Prior to that I was employed in Canada. When considering the limits for a Roth IRA calculation, "AGI" income has to be below certain thresholds. Does the income I earned in Canada before I becamse a US resident count towards that AGI? Or only US sourced income?

As I understand it should just be income earned in America as a non-US citizen and prior to that goes to Canada but I'm not a tax expert.  US citizens working abroad is somewhat different if I'm confused on your citizenship heh.

        
Message 2 of 5
compassion101
Established Contributor

Re: How is AGI calculated for a dual status resident when considering Roth IRA limits?

Are you a U.S. citizen who worked in Canada part of the year?

If so then all the money earned in us and canada should count toward your AGI

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am a Canadian citizen who started working in the US in October on a work visa.
Message 4 of 5
compassion101
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I am a Canadian citizen who started working in the US in October on a work visa.

In that case then only your US income is counting toward your AGI for IRA contributions. You can contribute a maximum of up to 5500 (6500 if over age 50) or up to your US earned income for the year if less than that. If you are worried about making too much money to utilize the Roth, then you must be doing pretty well and I'd certainly advise hiring a tax professional to help you

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.