Re: How much Money do you have Saved???

Cash Savings: $7k

Stocks: $1k

401k: $6K

Debt:

$46K Student Loans

$15K Car

FICO: 760

I started my full time career this past summer after graduating college. My goal is to have $12K cash saved by my one year anniversary of starting work. Student loan payments suck!

Message 71 of 172
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got my first real job in september and I started saving around the end of october. I'm in the public sector and I live in one of the most expensive part of the country , so saving has been a huge sacrifice. 

24F

Savings:$3,700

TSP:$1,971

Debt:

Student Loan: $6,503.

My goal is to have $8,000 in savings by the end of the year.

Message 72 of 172
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Age -28M
Savings- $125k
Fico - 798

Goal by year end~
Savings - $150k
Fico- 800+

maxresdefault.jpg

Seriously, though.  That's pretty impressive.

Message 73 of 172
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I got my first real job in september and I started saving around the end of october. I'm in the public sector and I live in one of the most expensive part of the country , so saving has been a huge sacrifice. 

24F

Savings:$3,700

TSP:$1,971

Debt:

Student Loan: $6,503.

My goal is to have $8,000 in savings by the end of the year.

Best wishes - hope you reach your goal.

animated gif

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 74 of 172
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cash Savings: $4k

Stocks: $0

401k: $0

Debt:

$0

FICO: 760

Don't earn much, don't borrow much.  Wish I had more money but I never graduated college.  This is the most savings I have had in 6 years.  Living hand to mouth but not borrowing what I can't pay back.  My car needs about $700 worth of work, then going to invest some of what's left.  Very impressed by the young man with six figures.

Message 75 of 172
800ficogirl
Regular Contributor

Good way to live not borrowing more than you can pay off,.. With that in mind & your excellent 760 credit score, I take it you always pay your cc balance in full. This is something I recently adopted because it is the best way of doing things, better on my wallet long run, and also better for my Fico. Kudos to you!

Starting Score: 524
Current Score:672-709
Goal Score:800

WellsFargo $2700 - NF Rewards Visa Signature $5000 - NF Rewards $3200 - Barclay $5500 - Walmart $3500- Sleep center $2000 - Cap One Quick Silver $4500 - Khols $300- HHGreggs $3000 - NFCU Checking Line $15,000 - Chase Sapphire Preferred $5000
Message 76 of 172
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am reestablishing credit and savings after some periods of unemployment/underemployment.  My ultimate goal is to have mid-to-high 4 figures each in savings accounts and Checking (as a buffer for spending) and PIF credit cards that I would use sparingly.  Once that's established I'll work on getting my liquid assets to above 10k and establish a brokerage account and Roth IRA to go with the 401k from work.  I'm also increasing the contribution (with no match) to 10% pre-tax to my 401k.  

Message 77 of 172
tacpoly
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I am reestablishing credit and savings after some periods of unemployment/underemployment.  My ultimate goal is to have mid-to-high 4 figures each in savings accounts and Checking (as a buffer for spending) and PIF credit cards that I would use sparingly.  Once that's established I'll work on getting my liquid assets to above 10k and establish a brokerage account and Roth IRA to go with the 401k from work.  I'm also increasing the contribution (with no match) to 10% pre-tax to my 401k.  

If you don't need that 10% 401K contribution to reduce your taxes, I would put $5500 into a Roth IRA first, then the rest into your 401K.  I say that because from what I've seen, most 401K plans with no matching are not worth contributing to (with the exception of dropping down a tax bracket):  the investment choices are limited and they usually have high fees. 

A Roth is great specially if you think you're on the low side of your lifetime income range.  In fact, I would generally suggest opening a Roth immediately to any person just starting out in the work force (which may not be in your case). 

Message 78 of 172
Anonymous
Not applicable

+1

Message 79 of 172
MTSN
Regular Contributor

I'm 32 and have around $60k in savings with around $70k in investments but only about $25k in 401k. My only debt is a mortgage at 3.5% and a car loan with about a $20k balance at 1.75%. The house has appreciated extremely well, so the plan is to sell as soon as we can avoid capital gains, potentially rent for a while until the housing market cools a little, then use the equity we cash out of the house along with savings to put a huge down payment on the next place and pay it off in less than 10 years so we can spend our forties doing a lot more traveling. We didn't travel when we were younger, so that's become a priority lately and we've been to Central America twice already in 2016!

Message 80 of 172
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.