cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Invest my Money... (19 Years Old)

tag
compassion101
Established Contributor

Re: How to Invest my Money... (19 Years Old)

However you decide to invest, do it inside of a Roth. If you do it by april 15 you can put 11k into the roth this year. The rest can be in a regular taxable investment account.

Just in case it is confusing to you, a roth is not an investment, It's a type of account, after you put the money in the account (mainly for tax purposes) then the world of investment options are still open to you.

Given your risk tolerance being on the high side I'd go with stocks. Maybe some us stocks and some foreign or emerging market etfs

Message 11 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why put it all in one place. Seems dangerous. + 1million on Roth you can get 5.5 by April 15th for the 2014 year. I would start tiered CDs as well, check out NFCU. Also a high yield saving like with amex or alliant, my alliant savings just got raised to .9!

Message 12 of 16
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Why put it all in one place. Seems dangerous. + 1million on Roth you can get 5.5 by April 15th for the 2014 year. I would start tiered CDs as well, check out NFCU. Also a high yield saving like with amex or alliant, my alliant savings just got raised to .9!

GE and Barclays i think are 1.05% now which isn't too bad when you compare to brick and mortar banks. Correct me if i am wrong banks and brokerage houses are only insured up to 250,000 so if want to be careful split up 250k at each place. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Roth IRA is the obvious answer.

You can make a contribution for 2014 and 2015, $11,000.

Lake Michigan has a rewards checking account that pays 3% Apr, up to $15,000. I get $37.70 every month.
Message 14 of 16
wa3more
Established Contributor

stay away from managed accounts of any kind and avoid tech stocks.

Dollar cost average into an S&P index fund every month. Avoid listening to noise like CNBC.

Your index fund will beat 99% of all managed funds over  long term. Warren Buffet made a bet with a hedge fund about a few years ago that the S&P will beat the hedge fund performance. So far after 7 years i think into a 10 year bet, the index is easily ahead.

Message 15 of 16
Lyythine
Established Contributor

This poster is 19 years old, why in the heck would investing in CD's be the best option here?  The only reason you want to do something like a CD when interest rates are so terribly low would be to preserve principal.  He's 19, not adversed to risk and wants to grow his principal.  My opinion would be to stay away from CD's and Bonds.  I agree with the Roth IRA, however, unlike what one poster said earlier, you cannot take distributions at any time. You can, however, take a loan on the Roth IRA (which I would advise against unless its a last resort).  I would suggest you get a good index fund with low fees or even a target date fund and let it grow, preferably with adding additional contributions. As there is a 5.5k annual limit, you can invest 11k in the roth and open a brokerage for the rest and invest in either the same or similar index or target date fund.  

With little knowledge, I would highly advise against investing in individual stocks, specifically any that are plastered on the front page of CNN Money.

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.