Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to pay health insurance premiums?

tag
Cloudlb
Regular Contributor

How to pay health insurance premiums?

So, my small company decided to ax their group health insurance and is making us all go solo through the ACA.  As I am old (but not old enough for Medicare) and poor (but not poor enough for a subsidy) and live in a state which has little competition on the health insurance marketplace, I am faced with having to affirmatively pay a huge bill every month.  I'm freaking out a bit because this bill will be the largest bill other than my rent/mortgage I've ever had to pay every month. 

My question is about setting up a good payment strategy.  I have a regular CU share savings account and checking account, which I have had my car payments and my mortgage payments paid out of automatically.  Should I just use the same system?  I'm wondering whether it makes sense to open a separate account at another bank for this single purpose. 

I don't think I will be going with a Health Savings Account, either, since there's only one plan available to me with that option.  I also thought about making a withdrawal from my 401IK to fund a deductible account (not really a HSA); but I know there are tax consequences.  I'd be willing to take the tax hit if I could do that. 

Any thoughts?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Callandra
Valued Contributor

Re: How to pay health insurance premiums?

I guess it depends on what works for you! I only have one bank account (well, two if you could checkings and savings as separate accounts but they're both with Chase) and I just have everything come out of it (for me, simple = best). Does your health insurance company allow CC payments? Mine does not (only monthly or quarterly EFT) but you could rack up some points if they did. 

Sorry to hear your company cut your health insurance; my company doesn't even have it for employees (there's only 3 employees plus the 2 owners so they don't have to have it) so I have [ridiculously expensive] private insurance myself. 

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 2 of 11
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

You consider yourself to be "poor", but you don't qualify for a subsidy???? I assume you shopped for a policy on the Healthcare.gov Marketplace? I'm in my 2nd year of coverage through the ACA, I consider myself of "modest means" and qualify for the maximum subsidy. Last year I paid $37/mo. after subsidy, this year when I compared policies that insurer had raised their rate to where I would have paid $100 after subsidy, so I switched to a comparable Silver Plan for only $28/mo. after subsidy.

As for payment, I've always paid with credit card. For a repeating auto debit they only accepted a bank account. I prefer to not give out my checking account number if I can avoid it, so I manually pay it monthly on their website with a rewards credit card.

Message 3 of 11
Cloudlb
Regular Contributor

I'm glad for all the people who can get subsidies.  No, I'm not truly poor, but I'm not wealthy, either, and that's the worst spot to be in with the ACA. 

I think paying by credit card would make me uneasy -- I don't want to carry that much on my cards monthly. 

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cloudlb wrote:

I'm glad for all the people who can get subsidies.  No, I'm not truly poor, but I'm not wealthy, either, and that's the worst spot to be in with the ACA. 

I think paying by credit card would make me uneasy -- I don't want to carry that much on my cards monthly. 

What level policy are you purchasing? I'm in kind of a unique situation in that I'm covered by my employer, but my husband is covered by an Exchange plan (employer plan excludes dependents... thank goodness).

Our policy premiums are actually about the same before his subsidy, though my employer covers a little more of my premium than the subsidy does for my husband. You have to make 400% the FPL before a subsidy is unavailable.

We also pay monthly with a rewards credit card, which is then PIF before the statement cuts.

Message 5 of 11
Cloudlb
Regular Contributor

Probably a silver plan. 

"You have to make 400% the FPL before a subsidy is unavailable."  -- What does this mean? 

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

400% of the Federal Poverty Level.

2015 POVERTY GUIDELINES FOR THE 48 CONTIGUOUS STATES
AND THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA
Persons in family/household Poverty guideline

Family Size - FPL - Max income before subsidy unavailble

1 - $11,770 - $47,080
2 - $15,930 - $63,720
3 - $20,090 - $80,360
4 - $24,250 - $97,000
5 - $28,410 - $113,640
6 - $32,570 - $130,280

7 - $36,730 - $146,920
8 - $40,890 - $163,560

For families/households with more than 8 persons, add $4,160 for each additional person (x4 for subsidy)

And the amount of subsidy is based on the cost of Silver plans (actually, the second most expensive silver, for your county). If you get a Bronze plan or a Gold plan, the actual dollar amount of subsidy doesn't change, even though the plan cost does.

Message 7 of 11
Cloudlb
Regular Contributor

oh, right.  No, I don't qualify.

Message 8 of 11
kjel
Established Contributor

Health insurance plan costs vary widely from state to state. I happen to live in a state that has three companies in the exchange. Population has nothing to do with it either. I firmly believe that there is some price fixing going on in my state's case. Thankfully I have employer based coverage and my company has absorbed the increase in premiums the last couple of years. I have a few friends that work free lance, one of them earns too much for subsidy and just decided it was better to pay the fine than go broke paying premiums. Ironically we have a number of places to receive care on a sliding scale and most hospitals extend charity care based on individual circumstance rather than the poverty level figures. She's healthy, so in her case I can understand the rationale. Back to the original question, most carriers are able to set up an ACH payment from their end, you can set up automatic or manual bill pay via your bank, and some likely accept credit cards too. You can always do an old fashioned paper check and snail mail.
Current Score: TU: 674 | EQ: 722 | EX: 717 | Last Inq. 2/16/15...Locked Up in The Garden
NFCU Cash Rewards $14K | Chase Sapphire Preferred $5K | Amex Blue Cash Preferred $6K | Cap1 Quicksilver One Visa $9K

Message 9 of 11
Callandra
Valued Contributor

@kjel wrote:
Health insurance plan costs vary widely from state to state. I happen to live in a state that has three companies in the exchange. Population has nothing to do with it either. I firmly believe that there is some price fixing going on in my state's case. Thankfully I have employer based coverage and my company has absorbed the increase in premiums the last couple of years. I have a few friends that work free lance, one of them earns too much for subsidy and just decided it was better to pay the fine than go broke paying premiums. Ironically we have a number of places to receive care on a sliding scale and most hospitals extend charity care based on individual circumstance rather than the poverty level figures. She's healthy, so in her case I can understand the rationale. Back to the original question, most carriers are able to set up an ACH payment from their end, you can set up automatic or manual bill pay via your bank, and some likely accept credit cards too. You can always do an old fashioned paper check and snail mail.

I've considered this and I qualify for a subsidy which I will not get as I refuse to use the Marketplace ever again because I had a HORRIBLE experience and I got totally scewed over by them (long story). My boyfriend's parents have taken this option since they make too much for a subsidy but cannot afford it due to all the debt they have. 

I wonder what insurance companies take CCs...mine only does EFT and even for the initial payment I had to pay via EFT (although the dental took a CC for the first payment). 

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.