Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to start investing?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to start investing?

I just started with credit cards etc 2 years ago (I'm in my early 20s) & I wanted to invest some extra savings that I have but I am clueless on how to do so, if you guys have any ideas, tips, or experiences, that would be awesome! I have about $50k that I can invest with. Thank you 😊

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
gibeon
Established Contributor

Re: How to start investing?

Wow, that is a HUGE question - seriously.

advice I was going to mention a couple things I would do, but that's me. I think it is important for you to figure out what is best for you. So to that end, my advice is:

Read your butt off! Read up on all the financial terms and investment vehicles. I'd start by taking a look at what your current bank(s) offer for investing, and then look up every term they use when discussing what you can do with them (mutual funds, stocks - put/buy/margin account/margin calls, money markets, retirement accounts, 401k, IRA, 403b, and so on and so on. 

Go the the websites for Scott Trade and eTrade and Vanguard and any other investment company you can think of and see what they are offering and then look up every word they use to describe your options and their fees/costs.

Also, always ask yourself what the motivation is of the person/company that is offering any advice/recommendations (transaction fees, loads, etc.)

Good luck!

23 Open Bank Cards / 7 Open Store Cards / TOO many inquires / Mid/High 600's
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks!

Message 3 of 6
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Smart move to make OP, in trying to build money off of the cssh you already have stored. I know nothing when it comes to this, but I think it's a great idea.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 4 of 6
tacpoly
Established Contributor

Google: "If You Can, How Millenials Can Get Rich Slowly". Read it and follow its advice.

1. Open a Vanguard account. $50K puts you at Admiral status which gets you preferred fees and rates.
2. Put 1/3 in Total US Stock Market Fund
3. Put 1/3 in Total International Stock Market Fund
4. Put 1/3 in Total US Bond Fund.
5. Revisit every year or so to rebalance funds.
6. Study up on other investment vehicles (ETF, Munis, REIT, actual real estate, hedge fund, etc) for when your income and money grows.
Message 5 of 6
bada_bing
Frequent Contributor

^^ +1 Ditto on reading If You Can: How Millennials Can Get Rich Slowly  If you want a not too difficult

self study on personal finance and investing, that is the one to follow. Both the short book itself, as well

as the recommended reading list it contains. It takes no more than an hour to read the booklet and you'll

then be well positioned to ask the right questions.

+ 850 FICO8 since 2015, Thanks MyFICO - 5+ years since last HP
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.