Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IRA and Stock and Bonds

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: IRA and Stock and Bonds

you should be able to establish a benificiary on any type of retirement account. 

Message 11 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also, I go for ROTH IRA, because I expect to be in a higher tax bracket so I want to be taxed now. Save later.

Message 12 of 21
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

I would go roth ira as well. You can start with as low as 1000 initial investment in a vanguard target retirement fund, so that could be an nice start. The lifecycles are also a nice choice but i think those are 3000 min investment. 

You are lucky you have vanguard 500 and extended market in your 401k you can just have those and complement them with bonds and internation in your ira and taxable and you should be good to go. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 13 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think so to. I'm going to adjust the percentages of what it is being invested in to be mostly the van admin!

Message 14 of 21
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Generally when we're talking small dollar amounts you want to be in a fund of some sort: that can either be a typical mutual fund, an ETF, or a bond one.  

Individual stocks can be transacted fairly easily in a brokerage house but you're betting on arguably too few horses (I use Fidelity personally, Vanguard is another good one) but bonds typically trade in 50K lots and as such are difficult (admittedly not impossible but it is seriously time intensive) transact on smaller dollar volumes.

As for type of IRA, Roths tend to kick ass and based on what you posted I would personally pick; however, if you expect to be making less when you retire than currently, a tax deferred standard IRA is an option too.  

I'm not a huge fan of the TR / retirement age type funds as the fees tend to be exorbitant and at a younger age your target mix is something like 95% stocks anyway and simply dumping it in SPY (SPDR S&P 500 ETF) is a non-suck yet easy method of doing similarly often with equal or better returns unfortunately.

        
Message 15 of 21
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

Generally when we're talking small dollar amounts you want to be in a fund of some sort: that can either be a typical mutual fund, an ETF, or a bond one.  

Individual stocks can be transacted fairly easily in a brokerage house but you're betting on arguably too few horses (I use Fidelity personally, Vanguard is another good one) but bonds typically trade in 50K lots and as such are difficult (admittedly not impossible but it is seriously time intensive) transact on smaller dollar volumes.

As for type of IRA, Roths tend to kick ass and based on what you posted I would personally pick; however, if you expect to be making less when you retire than currently, a tax deferred standard IRA is an option too.  

I'm not a huge fan of the TR / retirement age type funds as the fees tend to be exorbitant and at a younger age your target mix is something like 95% stocks anyway and simply dumping it in SPY (SPDR S&P 500 ETF) is a non-suck yet easy method of doing similarly often with equal or better returns unfortunately.

I agree for the most part about certain TR funds, but i think the exception comes to vanguard and fidelity. There are an few that are pretty good options with fees less than .20% which i think are very good. On the vanguard side you have the lifestrategy ones and their TR, fidelity has their four in one mutual fund and now have the freedom index TR funds. All four of those types of funds are very cheap relatively speaking. The low expense ratios are if you buy it from vanguard or fidelity brokerage houses. 

I am also an pretty big fan of roth ira. I also do like the fact that you can withdraw from it if major emergencies do come up without any penalties. 

Message 16 of 21
wa3more
Established Contributor

I'm making the assumption that you are young, maybe in your 20's. First , have a couple months of expenses in a savings account so something like a car repair is not a major problem.

What i would do is invest the excess money in a low cost S&P index fund like Vanguard offers and just dollar cost average in a certain amount every month and stick to it regardless of the market performance  and whatever news  you hear.

Forget bonds. Stocks over the long term will out perform and bonds are over valued . Wait till rates start going  up, bond investors will lose their shirts.

The S&P index will outperform 95% of mutual funds over the long term and most people are bad at picking individual stock, their biggest enemy being themselves.

Message 17 of 21
m3rge
Regular Contributor

Thanks for all the information, interesting and very valuable for me.

wa3more, I have a savings account with 5k and I'm 27 years old. When you refer to Vanguard S&P index funds are these mutual funds?

I'm aiming at Vanguard to make this since it's my first time and Vanguard website/cs was better than expected via phone.
Message 18 of 21
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@jorgevazquez87 wrote:
Thanks for all the information, interesting and very valuable for me.

wa3more, I have a savings account with 5k and I'm 27 years old. When you refer to Vanguard S&P index funds are these mutual funds?

I'm aiming at Vanguard to make this since it's my first time and Vanguard website/cs was better than expected via phone.

i personally would go for total stock market fund over s&p 500 fund since it will provide you an bit more diversification, since you have access to 3500+ stocks as opposed to 500 of the largest companies. Vanguard has etf and mutual fund versions of both 500 fund and total stock market funds. 

Message 19 of 21
wa3more
Established Contributor

yes, Vanguard has a mutual fund that is an S&P index fund.

27 and 5k in savings - you are in a good spot. Just dollar cost average every month into the index fund, stay out of debt and dont listen to all the noise from the so called experts like Cramer and the shills on CNBC and you will be fine  in the long term.

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.