cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In case any of you were wondering how i do it......

tag
linux007969
Established Contributor

Re: In case any of you were wondering how i do it......

@bobebob wrote:

My grocery purchses are for when my dad runs short on funds and choses to pay bills rather than buy groceries, so i have to bail him out. Smiley Embarassed

I'll appologize in advance because I don't usually intend to come across negatively on other's posts.

But your attitude towards your father rubs me the wrong way.  If you are living at home RENT FREE and I suspect  EATING FREE most of the time, it is HE who is bailing YOU out.  Not the other way around.

You need to at least go give him a hug and tell him how much you appreciate him letting you live there and feeding you. 

What you should do since you are an adult and making a income (I.E. not a student) is pay for your share of the groceries and give him a couple of hundred dollars a month towards rent.  Maybe that way he wouldn't have to make a choice between paying his bills or buying groceries.

What you should not do is brag in a public forum about how easy it is to manage your finances when you father is effectively suplementing your income by letting you live with him (while at the same time making it sound like he can't manage his own finances).

He makes 4 times as much and would rather buy books on Amazon and in book stores than set aside the extra money for food and other bills. He owes me $6.7K for bailing him out since 2009. He didn't learn things in school like I did where you base everything on 40 hours only and not overtime and that rent should be no more than 1 weeks pay, things like that he didn't learn back in his day.

I am in no way bragging as I am sure there are people who take a look at all my available credit vs my income and wonder how i have done that or if i am lying so i am trying to set things straight.

If i could actually afford rent of any kind and had my drivers licence, I would move out and my partner and I would live together.

If my attitude offends anyone, just unsubscribe from this thread, problem solved!!!! 

Rebuilding Credit since 2016
Debt: Almost $80,000
Message 21 of 26
bobebob
Frequent Contributor

@linux007969 wrote:

@bobebob wrote:

My grocery purchses are for when my dad runs short on funds and choses to pay bills rather than buy groceries, so i have to bail him out. Smiley Embarassed

I'll appologize in advance because I don't usually intend to come across negatively on other's posts.

But your attitude towards your father rubs me the wrong way.  If you are living at home RENT FREE and I suspect  EATING FREE most of the time, it is HE who is bailing YOU out.  Not the other way around.

You need to at least go give him a hug and tell him how much you appreciate him letting you live there and feeding you. 

What you should do since you are an adult and making a income (I.E. not a student) is pay for your share of the groceries and give him a couple of hundred dollars a month towards rent.  Maybe that way he wouldn't have to make a choice between paying his bills or buying groceries.

What you should not do is brag in a public forum about how easy it is to manage your finances when you father is effectively suplementing your income by letting you live with him (while at the same time making it sound like he can't manage his own finances).

He makes 4 times as much and would rather buy books on Amazon and in book stores than set aside the extra money for food and other bills. He owes me $6.7K for bailing him out since 2009. He didn't learn things in school like I did where you base everything on 40 hours only and not overtime and that rent should be no more than 1 weeks pay, things like that he didn't learn back in his day.

I am in no way bragging as I am sure there are people who take a look at all my available credit vs my income and wonder how i have done that or if i am lying so i am trying to set things straight.

If i could actually afford rent of any kind and had my drivers licence, I would move out and my partner and I would live together.

If my attitude offends anyone, just unsubscribe from this thread, problem solved!!!! 

Still.

There is a great deal of value in the benefits you are getting.  It's hard for me to understand how you don't get that.

I mean, write off the $6700 and you've just been paying $112/month for room and board.  Quite a steal!  Smiley Surprised

I understand that there is a world of difference between "income statement" rich and "net worth" rich.  But the book buying must be only part of the problem.  Even if you get a new hardback book every day of the year at $30 a pop, that's only about 11 or 12K a year.   He should certainly be able to get by on $155K per year (that is almost twice my income, and I buget $24K for groceries and mortgage).  But habits are difficult to change.  It took no small amount of effort for me to change mine.  So I get that.

If you approach it right and he is receptive, perhaps you can help him change his habits.  If he is such a bookworm and smart enough to earn $155K a year why not stear him toward some self-help financial books?

My watershed moment was when an Aunt and Uncle in-law loaned my wife (now ex) and I one such book on tape for our long drive back home.  I didn't immediately go out and do everything the book said, but it got me thinking in completely different ways about finances.  I have thanked them profusely for the start that gave me.

If you were able to help him get on the right financial track, it would probably be the best gift you could give him.  I wish you luck in that.  There is nothing worse than seeing someone you love squander such potential.

One thing confused me though: It did seemed a little odd that you purchased a car without having a license.

bobebob || Nov: My FICO SW EQ(Upgraded Version) = 822 ||Sept: Walmart TU Fico=838Goal = FICO's>800 || In my wallet: CostcoAmEx(20k), DCU Visa Platinum (10k), BoA Visa Signature (17.1k), Walmart Discover (7.5k), AmEx Corporate (5k). All PIF every month.
Message 22 of 26
linux007969
Established Contributor

@bobebob wrote:

@linux007969 wrote:

@bobebob wrote:

Still.

There is a great deal of value in the benefits you are getting.  It's hard for me to understand how you don't get that.

I mean, write off the $6700 and you've just been paying $112/month for room and board.  Quite a steal!  Smiley Surprised

I understand that there is a world of difference between "income statement" rich and "net worth" rich.  But the book buying must be only part of the problem.  Even if you get a new hardback book every day of the year at $30 a pop, that's only about 11 or 12K a year.   He should certainly be able to get by on $155K per year (that is almost twice my income, and I buget $24K for groceries and mortgage).  But habits are difficult to change.  It took no small amount of effort for me to change mine.  So I get that.

If you approach it right and he is receptive, perhaps you can help him change his habits.  If he is such a bookworm and smart enough to earn $155K a year why not stear him toward some self-help financial books?

My watershed moment was when an Aunt and Uncle in-law loaned my wife (now ex) and I one such book on tape for our long drive back home.  I didn't immediately go out and do everything the book said, but it got me thinking in completely different ways about finances.  I have thanked them profusely for the start that gave me.

If you were able to help him get on the right financial track, it would probably be the best gift you could give him.  I wish you luck in that.  There is nothing worse than seeing someone you love squander such potential.

One thing confused me though: It did seemed a little odd that you purchased a car without having a license.

He buys a few book at a time sometimes like 5 at a time and then goes to a bookstore later at the end of the week sometimes. Not all the time, sometimes random. He buys puzzle books regulary.

He has some medical debt and a springleaf loan but i'm not sure how much is left on either one. He always seems to max his cards out and never pays off in full, he may carry the same balance for a few years. He does make some headway with his Bank of America card, he went in 3 weeks in a row to a branch to make payments each time so that sounds good, but he has told me he hasn't paid that account off in full in years, he says he only remembers clearing it off 2 times since he had it.

I one time put quicken on his computer and offered to show him how to use it but he says he knows where his money is going...... i tried to explain to him he won't know where its going unless he sees it.

He makes $40k net a year, I only make $12,960 net a year from regular employment untill i get my business up and running..... i'm not sure where your $155k came from.

I bought a car because I needed more reliable way to work as my boss and other co workers haven't been always to give me rides to or from work as much as i was needing them, they had different things going on. My parents only had one car and my dad usually was coming home just as i would be going to work but his shift changed a bit and so did mine so they are no longer in sync. Taking the bus was not a option as i would have to depend on their schedule and also it costs money that can add up, so it was more worth it to get a car and have my mom take me to and from work.

I do need to work on getting my license so i can really enjoy my car, and especially if i need to take my business to the next level i need to go out on my own and get things done. Like theres the possibabilty that the company i work for may shutdown September 2015 or shortly after as we need to raise money for a special type of electronic recycling certification by September 2015 or we have to close. If that happens for sure I will file for an LLC with my partner and another friend and we will be in business together for ourselves. Though in that process I will take some of those balance transfer checks and write them to myself and put it in the bank so i can keep paying my credit cards and my auto loan down and then when we get going i can pay myself and things will be well again. (i'm being optimistic and hopeful)

Message 23 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MarineVietVet wrote:

I'm sorry but I can't read it.

Something is out of focus. Could be my eyes!!  Smiley Surprised

What do you expect from your eyes after midnight? Your not getting any younger ... Smiley Happy

Message 24 of 26
bobebob
Frequent Contributor

@linux007969 wrote:

@bobebob wrote:

@linux007969 wrote:

@bobebob wrote:

Still.

He buys a few book at a time sometimes like 5 at a time and then goes to a bookstore later at the end of the week sometimes. Not all the time, sometimes random. He buys puzzle books regulary.

He has some medical debt and a springleaf loan but i'm not sure how much is left on either one. He always seems to max his cards out and never pays off in full, he may carry the same balance for a few years. He does make some headway with his Bank of America card, he went in 3 weeks in a row to a branch to make payments each time so that sounds good, but he has told me he hasn't paid that account off in full in years, he says he only remembers clearing it off 2 times since he had it.

I one time put quicken on his computer and offered to show him how to use it but he says he knows where his money is going...... i tried to explain to him he won't know where its going unless he sees it.

He makes $40k net a year, I only make $12,960 net a year from regular employment untill i get my business up and running..... i'm not sure where your $155k came from.

I bought a car because I needed more reliable way to work as my boss and other co workers haven't been always to give me rides to or from work as much as i was needing them, they had different things going on. My parents only had one car and my dad usually was coming home just as i would be going to work but his shift changed a bit and so did mine so they are no longer in sync. Taking the bus was not a option as i would have to depend on their schedule and also it costs money that can add up, so it was more worth it to get a car and have my mom take me to and from work.

I do need to work on getting my license so i can really enjoy my car, and especially if i need to take my business to the next level i need to go out on my own and get things done. Like theres the possibabilty that the company i work for may shutdown September 2015 or shortly after as we need to raise money for a special type of electronic recycling certification by September 2015 or we have to close. If that happens for sure I will file for an LLC with my partner and another friend and we will be in business together for ourselves. Though in that process I will take some of those balance transfer checks and write them to myself and put it in the bank so i can keep paying my credit cards and my auto loan down and then when we get going i can pay myself and things will be well again. (i'm being optimistic and hopeful)

From your spreadsheet screen capture.  It shows 38.6K income for 2014.  And you said that your dad makes 4 times your income.  So 38.6K*4=$155K.   But picking through the spreadsheet I see you listed a vehicle under income.  This is what threw off my estimate so much.

bobebob || Nov: My FICO SW EQ(Upgraded Version) = 822 ||Sept: Walmart TU Fico=838Goal = FICO's>800 || In my wallet: CostcoAmEx(20k), DCU Visa Platinum (10k), BoA Visa Signature (17.1k), Walmart Discover (7.5k), AmEx Corporate (5k). All PIF every month.
Message 25 of 26
linux007969
Established Contributor

@bobebob wrote:

@linux007969 wrote:

@bobebob wrote:

@linux007969 wrote:

@bobebob wrote:

Still.

From your spreadsheet screen capture.  It shows 38.6K income for 2014.  And you said that your dad makes 4 times your income.  So 38.6K*4=$155K.   But picking through the spreadsheet I see you listed a vehicle under income.  This is what threw off my estimate so much.

Ya my vehicle is listed under income as its a linked asset against my loan, you also see cash advance listed as income too which is later subtracted out as a bank charge. This is how things have to match up to keep things straight and reconciled properly.

Message 26 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.