cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it better to borrow money for investments or an education?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is it better to borrow money for investments or an education?

I've wondered about this and here I am still in college. If I were to borrow money for my degree or would I get a better return on my investment if I invested in something else like stock, bonds and real estate. On the lower end, I think education wins out. But what about the

Those who want a masters, PhD, or a doctor degree? Let's put a number to it. If you had 250k to invest in your education or 250k on another investment, which one would you get a better return on? Personally, because your high salary is tarnished by uncle same and let's be honest, he takes a bigger chunk when you make more money, maybe you'd be better investing it elsewhere. What are your options on this?

Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is it better to borrow money for investments or an education?

• I meant opinions lol typing way too fast on my android lol
Message 2 of 29
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Keep in mind the return from a Master's in Art History probably won't be as high as that from a Master's in Engineering. The school's reputation will matter, too.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 3 of 29
iced
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I've wondered about this and here I am still in college. If I were to borrow money for my degree or would I get a better return on my investment if I invested in something else like stock, bonds and real estate. On the lower end, I think education wins out. But what about the

Those who want a masters, PhD, or a doctor degree? Let's put a number to it. If you had 250k to invest in your education or 250k on another investment, which one would you get a better return on? Personally, because your high salary is tarnished by uncle same and let's be honest, he takes a bigger chunk when you make more money, maybe you'd be better investing it elsewhere. What are your options on this?

This question is too generalized. Needs more specifics.

As stated, what the degree is in matters. A Masters in English or Latin American Studies is not worth as much as Biology or Law. Where the degree is from only matters for some degrees. Some fields, such as law, tend to care where it's from because they're under the illusion there's some amount of pedigree to colleges. Many employers looking for STEM graduates, however, couldn't care less where the degree is from as long as it's not some as-seen-on-tv night school. 

Investment and income also aren't equal in Sam's eyes. There's a name for the reason the slimy fat cat CEOs take lower figurehead salaries in exchange for generous equity-focused compensation plans, and it is Capital Gains. If I make $250k in salary, I'll be taxed through brackets ranging from 10% for the first $9,000 I make to 33% for the last $60,000 I make that year. If I make $250k in gains off of investments, I pay 15% (assuming a few things such as long-term gains and that the $250k was a majority of my total earnings for the year). 

What would I do? Somewhere in the middle if I could do it all over again. Invest some of it and use some to start on getting a Bachelors in a STEM degree (because let's be honest, for most STEM fields you don't need more than a BS for a great job), but then shift to paying for school using profits from the investments. If I do it right, I wind up in the end with both the degree and some money left over. If science isn't your thing, open a business with it. There's more risk to that route, but if it does well you'll do well and then you open up even more tax loopholes and breaks to work the system with. 

Message 4 of 29
tacpoly
Established Contributor

@iced wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

This question is too generalized. Needs more specifics.

As stated, what the degree is in matters. A Masters in English or Latin American Studies is not worth as much as Biology or Law. Where the degree is from only matters for some degrees. Some fields, such as law, tend to care where it's from because they're under the illusion there's some amount of pedigree to colleges. Many employers looking for STEM graduates, however, couldn't care less where the degree is from as long as it's not some as-seen-on-tv night school. 

Investment and income also aren't equal in Sam's eyes. There's a name for the reason the slimy fat cat CEOs take lower figurehead salaries in exchange for generous equity-focused compensation plans, and it is Capital Gains. If I make $250k in salary, I'll be taxed through brackets ranging from 10% for the first $9,000 I make to 33% for the last $60,000 I make that year. If I make $250k in gains off of investments, I pay 15% (assuming a few things such as long-term gains and that the $250k was a majority of my total earnings for the year). 

What would I do? Somewhere in the middle if I could do it all over again. Invest some of it and use some to start on getting a Bachelors in a STEM degree (because let's be honest, for most STEM fields you don't need more than a BS for a great job), but then shift to paying for school using profits from the investments. If I do it right, I wind up in the end with both the degree and some money left over. If science isn't your thing, open a business with it. There's more risk to that route, but if it does well you'll do well and then you open up even more tax loopholes and breaks to work the system with. 

There is some pedigree to colleges and law schools. The best law schools get the best students.  Oh sure, there are occasionally a few from Podunk Law whi shine, but when firms recruit from the top (or top regional) schools, 80-90% of the time they'll be right about the quality of their hires. 

And while the STEM companies don't explicitly put academic pedigree as a selection criteria, believe me when I say it counts -- specially early in your career. For PhDs what matters is whose lab you came from (your advisor/PI) so the actual school is secondary. For degrees before the PhD, there is definitely a difference in quality of the graduates and if I had to take a shortcut when weeding through a thousand resumes, I would pay some attention to alma mater, that's for sure. 

As for the OPs question, if we're talking about financial ROI, then I suggest learn a trade and become an electrician, or plumber, or high-skilled welder and invest the money to grow long term. If you invested that $250K conservatively at 20 you'll have a nice chunk of change by the time you're 55. And with a trade, you could be an independent contractor so you have flexibility.  

My circle have talked about this a lot and while the parents wouldn't go so far as letting their kids not go to college, we think for folks who aren't particularly academically inclined, a trade wouldn't be a bad thing. We are all over-educated advanced-degree holders and 6- or 7-figure earners. We know the work and sacrifice required to get here (a freakin' ton) and we think the promise of a college education have been oversold. 

Message 5 of 29
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I guess it's the oldster in me, but I would never ever borrow money for an investment.  Your topic headline:  Is it better to borrow money for investments or an education? Short answer from me?  No, it's not better to borrow for investments. That money has to be paid back.  And the investment can go bad in the snap of the fingers. Look at the time period of 2008-2009, when a LOT of people lost a LOT of money.

However, borrowing money for an education IS an investment.  It's an investment in YOU.  And your potential.   Since you are still in college, I'm going to presume that you are of college age, and you have a very long life ahead of you.  Investing in yourself is the smartest thing you can do, in my opinion.  Whether that's continuing on for an advanced degree or, as pointed out, in the trades (which can pay a LOT), continuing your  education, in whatever form, will ultimately have a better long term benefit.  You still have to pay the money back, presumably in the form of student loans, but also remember that, depending on what you do post degree, some of that student loan could be forgiven, if for example, you become a teacher.  

If that investment you may consider, does tank, you still have to pay the money back that you borrowed to invest.  If you're not earning to your potential, it may take you a lifetime to pay that money back.  Yes, investments can turn around and you can make money.  Or they can continue to tank.  Too big a risk, IMHO. Invest in yourself.  

Message 6 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess that is my point. If I could start over, I would weight the pros and cons of investing in an education or other investments. I'm coming out of school with 50k in debt but as with anything in life, there is the uncertainty part. I could have failed my classes, change majors, etc. which would cost me even more money and I could end up leaving school with no job, no future. It is a sunken cost to invest in an education. I also thought about graduate school and that could total 250k. That's 6-8 years of my life where I could potentially be making almost zero income and interest is only accumulating. If I had good credit out of high school and got an okay job at 20k a year, I could start investing in real estate and stock. I could borrow money to make money instead of being in college for 6-8 years with no guarantees of a job depending on the field. I haven't done the math for this hypothetical scenario but I could end up better than people with an education lol. That's the great thing about investing, you don't have to be the smartest person in the room, you just have to remember to buy low and sell high. Heck, if I could put 250k into an apartment complex, I would be making money right now! I understand that college is important but if you're going to be drowning in debt that's the size of a home... wouldn't it be stupid to go down that path? You didn't even get a chance at life because you've accumulated so much debt that you're just stuck in a hole. At least with an investment, there is a 99.999% return on your money. College to me seems like a gamble at times but I guess if you were "smart" and went to the tech, engineering or medical route that you had a fighting chance. 

Message 7 of 29
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I guess that is my point. If I could start over, I would weight the pros and cons of investing in an education or other investments. I'm coming out of school with 50k in debt but as with anything in life, there is the uncertainty part. I could have failed my classes, change majors, etc. which would cost me even more money and I could end up leaving school with no job, no future. It is a sunken cost to invest in an education. I also thought about graduate school and that could total 250k. That's 6-8 years of my life where I could potentially be making almost zero income and interest is only accumulating. If I had good credit out of high school and got an okay job at 20k a year, I could start investing in real estate and stock. I could borrow money to make money instead of being in college for 6-8 years with no guarantees of a job depending on the field. I haven't done the math for this hypothetical scenario but I could end up better than people with an education lol. That's the great thing about investing, you don't have to be the smartest person in the room, you just have to remember to buy low and sell high. Heck, if I could put 250k into an apartment complex, I would be making money right now! I understand that college is important but if you're going to be drowning in debt that's the size of a home... wouldn't it be stupid to go down that path? You didn't even get a chance at life because you've accumulated so much debt that you're just stuck in a hole. At least with an investment, there is a 99.999% return on your money. College to me seems like a gamble at times but I guess if you were "smart" and went to the tech, engineering or medical route that you had a fighting chance. 

$20k a year, less living expenses, won't buy much in the way of stock...much less real estate.

Message 8 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

You would borrow that money as a loan. So instead of financing an education, you would finance an apartment complex let's say and that would give you monthly cash flow minus taxes, expenses, etc. You don't get any cash flows with debt tied to a college tuition. You bank on a salary when you leave.
Message 9 of 29
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
You would borrow that money as a loan. So instead of financing an education, you would finance an apartment complex let's say and that would give you monthly cash flow minus taxes, expenses, etc. You don't get any cash flows with debt tied to a college tuition. You bank on a salary when you leave.

I'm not sure where an entire apartment complex costs $250k. In the more remote Los Angeles suburbs it's more like $250k per unit. 

Even if you did find a place, qualifying for a loan might be tough. Owner-occupiers get special mortgage rates because the government subsidizes them. Investors typically pay higher rates (and in the last few years, many investors have been paying all cash).

Message 10 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.