Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is opening a new T-Mobile account a HP?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is opening a new T-Mobile account a HP?

I've searched but can find nothing recent. Is opening a new T-Mobile account always a hard pull? What if you are bringing your own phone and not financing? 

Also... if you finance a new phone through them later on down the line, do they make a HP then, too?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is opening a new T-Mobile account a HP?

@Anonymous wrote:

I've searched but can find nothing recent. Is opening a new T-Mobile account always a hard pull? What if you are bringing your own phone and not financing? 

Also... if you finance a new phone through them later on down the line, do they make a HP then, too?

Thanks.

When I joined as a post-paid customer, they ran my credit. It was only one time though, I financed a phone when I joined 2 years ago, and then last month I started up a new one for my upgrade. They didn't do another HP. Hope this helps!

Message 2 of 11
pip3man
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks.

It's always gonna be a HP if your going to finance a device through them. The way to avoid that is establish the account under BYOD. After the account is set up, at any time in the future u decide to finance through them, there will NOT  be a HP

Message 3 of 11
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

I had a HP 2 years ago when I switched from Verizon. I also had a HP when I financed 2 new phones and added a line 2 months ago, I don't know if the HP was from adding the line, or from financing the 2 phones
NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 4 of 11
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

@pip3man wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks.

It's always gonna be a HP if your going to finance a device through them. The way to avoid that is establish the account under BYOD. After the account is set up, at any time in the future u decide to finance through them, there will NOT  be a HP

^ this has been my experience 

HP on TU 

Rep told me I have $1500 available financing so I can use up to that without additional HPs. Went from iPhone 5 to 6 and added sister to account with no new HPs. 

Message 5 of 11
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

It may vary from carrier to carrier and from time to time, but financing the phone is not always the only consideration.   If you are a post-paid customer, you can build up very hefty charges on usage alone, so for new customers, there may be a credit check even if you own the device.

Sometimes the company will require a deposit, and this is based on the results of the check.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

What! Never knew phone companies did a hard pull when applying...but looking back in retrospect...it makes sense.

Message 7 of 11
bz386
Frequent Contributor

Actually, it makes no sense whatsoever. I bring my own phone and the plan is unlimited everything. There's no way to rack up additional charges other than through international calls or roaming, both of which are disabled by default.

Two years ago I tried to sign up for T-mobile. They pulled my credit, twice, and rejected me, twice. With a credit score north of 760. I turned around and signed up for AT&T and have been a happy user ever since. T-mobile is now on my personal blacklist.
Message 8 of 11
Glkslngr
Frequent Contributor

Postpaid HP. Prepaid no pull.
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

HP.

When I signed up for T-Mobile I had no US credit history. They made me pay a huge deposit just to open the account, plus I paid for my device outright. Even with the deposit they still HP me. After a year I got back the deposit.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.