Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just Opened an IRA

tag
Luscher
Valued Contributor

Just Opened an IRA

Hey guys! So, I just opened a Roth IRA and am ready to put $5,500 into it.

But, I am pretty lots on where to invest my money. I want to diversify into stocks and mutual funds. Im all set with the stocks, but can anybody recommend where I should start with investing into mutual funds?

Thanks!

CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

Re: Just Opened an IRA

Two things (1) your age and (2) your risk tolerance

(1) understand the younger you are the more time you have to ride out any fluctuations in the equity markets so if you wish, you can be more aggressive in your selection of investments

(2) all investing starts with You the person. Are you the kind of person who prefers stability, can handle risk, can handle 50% drops, or want to see only no more than 10% drops. Answering this will decide WHERE to invest your money, i.e. to answer your question which mutual fund to place your money

Take me, I'm 40, so I choose mutual funds where 70% are in large US companies (large cap), the rest I spread between international mutual funds (more risky), small US companies (risky also), medium sized companies (mid cap) so 30% in a mix of these. I won't retire until 20 more years at least, so I have time to ride out drops in value and I can handle it, my personality can handle drops mostly because I don't need the returement money to live right now, so I don't care if it drops since I hope in 20 years it'll be back up, hopefully sooner than that though.

I also pay myself first, meaning in my 401k, my IRA, my annuities I deduct from my paycheck into these accounts every pay periodm the MAXIMUM, I can since I have enough cash left over to live and still have savings. Besides my wife works too, and I do the same for her paycheck, pay into her retirement account first, but we don't have kids and we make $300K+ together so we can max out retirement savings. I also make sure her investments are dfifferent than mine to diversify, for example, Iput al her 401k money in a tech mutual fund, wheres in my 401k I choose large cap stocks mostly. Diverisification.

Message 2 of 4
Luscher
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the feedback. Can you recommend a good site to see mutual fund info? The company I have my IRA through basically just lists every single mutual fund on the planet and I can't really tell which one is right for me. I have been searching Google left and right and found a few funds that seem interesting but not sure if I want dump 3000+ in a fund plus fees and then regret it down the road.
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 3 of 4
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

If your IRA is with a specific financial firm, you purchase mutual fund shares through that company and they should have at least a summary sheet of the risk profile of that fund along with the mix of investment in that specific fund. I use T Rowe Price and when I choose funds I can see a historical performance, etc. I'd say dig into your IRA site more and find info on various funds, they should provide it.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.