Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just opened my first 401k today!

tag
nightglider
Regular Contributor

Re: Just opened my first 401k today!

@alyssamarie wrote:

I set it up to put 50% in a target retirement fund and the other 50% to go in the S&P 500 index, both had low expense ratios (.18% and .03% respectively).  I also chose to put it in a roth 401k since my tax rate now is probably as low as it will ever be (I sure hope so at least)!

The purpose of a TR fund is to allocate your portfolio for you. Having money somewhere else means you're allocating money, yourself. At 90% equities, your TR fund is probably already heavily balanced toward the S&P 500. Putting 50% of your contributuions into an S&P 500 index fund means you're probably heavily overweighted in that direction. I have an aggressive portfolio allocation myself that's 50% in an S&P 500 index.

I try not to offer unsolicited advice because it can seem condescending (especially in text-only mediums) and is worth what you say it is, but I suggest doing some reading on portfolio allocation/balance. I can't give you anything very specific because my allocation is a basic 50% large-cap, 20% small-cap, 25% foreign, and 5% cash.

That said, congrats on starting your retirement planning so early. Compound returns are a very powerful force in investing so the sooner you start, the better. Smiley Happy

Message 11 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats! I'm not sure your age, but it's good that you're starting young. I'm 27 and JUST opened up mine as well. I agree...it does feel good Smiley Happy 

Message 12 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

congratulations.  I wish i had invested in to Roth IRA's sooner.  I'm at the point in life where I no longer qualify because of income restrictions. Smiley Mad

Message 13 of 14
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

congratulations.  I wish i had invested in to Roth IRA's sooner.  I'm at the point in life where I no longer qualify because of income restrictions. Smiley Mad

well you can backdoor roth ira if you so desire. Just an option to throw out there. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.