Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loan, LOC, or Credit card?

tag
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Loan, LOC, or Credit card?

Hello.  I'm overthinking and confusing myself.  (I'm good at it.)  Smiley Happy

The goal here is lower my total monthly obligations.  DW and I are paying off one installment loan this month.  Yay us.  We're making progress, but still need to trim more dollars out of our monthly budget.  (We don't have cable television, our internet is free, and we don't have a home phone.)

I'm celebrating one year in the garden, so I have zero inquries in the last twelve months.  No lates or baddies on EX or TU, but EQ is still showing a paid off state tax lien that shouldn't report anymore.

VERY high utilization. 

Scores in the 660s.

I believe that I can join NFCU based on my grandfathers and my brothers service.

Do I want to discuss a personal loan, a LOC, or a credit card?

A LOC or credit card would help with utilization, but I'm not sure that they would approve me with my CURRENT utilization.

A personal loan might be a better option for me, but as I understand it I can only use MY OWN income for a loan or loc application, instead of a combined income for a credit card application.

An unsecured loan and/or LOC of $11,000 would save us over $300 a month.  Not sure that I can do the same thing with a credit card, but it's possible via BT to save SOME dollars per month.

Your thoughts?

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Loan, LOC, or Credit card?

Are you more focused on lowering your monthly payment or your total interest paid?

Personal loan probably makes the most sense to me.

Are you certain you won't pay off cards and run them back up?  If so, LOC might even make sense but I have seen a LOT of folks use a LOC to pay off cards, pay down the LOC and then a year later they've run both up to be in worse shape!

Message 2 of 27
tcbofade
Super Contributor

More focused on monthly obligations right now.

...and yes, I'm certain.  Smiley Happy

We've been trimming for awhile, and the pile IS getting smaller, it just takes two days shy of forever.

Message 3 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would say you want to try to figure out what kind of interest rates you'd qualify for as well as what amounts and then do the napkin math and see what structures well for your plan.

Installment loan is going to be one and done but it will keep you from any temptation!  LOC might be more useful after all your debts are paid to keep open and usable if you do need it.

Both may have very different minimum monthly payments which can have an effect on which direction you'd go.

Pick the one with the smallest payment!

Message 4 of 27
Sandman771
Valued Contributor

I would certainly go ahead and join NFCU anyway. It is a HP. Once that is done, ask about a CLOC and a 0% BT option if your score qualifies for it. They are a strange bunch. I have a really thick file, but it is full of dirty stuff, but I used to be clean so they were gentle with me. I'm working on it and still haven't gotten a CLOC, but It isn't something that I currently need. I've been paying baddies off. I think they will like you honestly. You should be able to open one online, but since it is your father's service you are using you may have to call in. By calling in you'll experience the first rate customer service they give (at least in my opinion). Just play around and see what they have to say. Be prepared for the HP's. One for membership then a second for CLOC or the CC or two for both. 

Starting Score: EQ497/TU496/EX 499
Currently: EQ 620 TU 654 EX 627
in the garden since 6/16/2021
Message 5 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

One thing you may consider doing is paying ALL your credit cards down to 85% utilization or less so that you don't report any "maxed out cards" (meaning over 89%) and see if it helps your FICO enough quickly to qualify for a better rate or a big enough loan/LOC to cover the remaining balances.

Message 6 of 27
tcbofade
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

One thing you may consider doing is paying ALL your credit cards down to 85% utilization or less so that you don't report any "maxed out cards" (meaning over 89%) and see if it helps your FICO enough quickly to qualify for a better rate or a big enough loan/LOC to cover the remaining balances.

Right now, that's about $3k that I just don't have.  Smiley Sad

Message 7 of 27
tcbofade
Super Contributor

@Sandman771 wrote:

I would certainly go ahead and join NFCU anyway. It is a HP. Once that is done, ask about a CLOC and a 0% BT option if your score qualifies for it. They are a strange bunch. I have a really thick file, but it is full of dirty stuff, but I used to be clean so they were gentle with me. I'm working on it and still haven't gotten a CLOC, but It isn't something that I currently need. I've been paying baddies off. I think they will like you honestly. You should be able to open one online, but since it is your father's service you are using you may have to call in. By calling in you'll experience the first rate customer service they give (at least in my opinion). Just play around and see what they have to say. Be prepared for the HP's. One for membership then a second for CLOC or the CC or two for both. 

Thank you.  There is a branch about twelve miles from my home, and I think that I'll just go visit them on Monday.

Message 8 of 27
Sandman771
Valued Contributor

I just have a feeling you'll come out of that branch with a new debit card check book, cc and cloc and peace of mind. Thinking good things for you. 

Starting Score: EQ497/TU496/EX 499
Currently: EQ 620 TU 654 EX 627
in the garden since 6/16/2021
Message 9 of 27
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Good stuff here, I'll just add that be sure to take note of the rate on the CLOC.

I actually decided to pass on it, since the lowest rate offered on the CLOC is 13.9% (here) and is higher than the rate I got on my Platinum MasterCard.  The CLOC is great for people who either want overdraft protection or need a 'cushion' for utilization purposes, but for carrying a balance NFCU's Platinum credit card often has a lower rate.

Also, whatever rate you get with a credit card can be lowered once you have the account for a year (and each year thereafter) while the rate on the CLOC is fixed.  There's also the chance of a SP CLI on the credit card (after an AR), while a CLI on the CLOC will always be a HP.

I don't have any personal experience with NFCU loans... that might be a good option if the rate is good, and it would report as 'installment' as well (if that is important to you).

Good luck whatever you decide!  Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.