Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loan for trip

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Loan for trip

The Maldives is one of he most expensive places in the world in terms of travel, lodging, dining, and excursion costs, due partly to how remote it is.

I'm not sure it's the best idea to go specifically to the Maldives if you need to take out a loan to make the trip happen, due to the high cost overall.

Message 11 of 13
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@Countingpennies wrote:

$4471.185 in US dollars?

^^^^^ This.  Count the zeros, not the placement of the commas.  Rs = rupees.  Used in a wide area of the Indian Subcontinent. 
So...around $4500 USD.  Not an extreme amount for 2 travelers.  Presumably, since the OP is inquiring in regards to rupees, the OP and fiance will be traveling from an area that uses rupees (the Indian Subcontinent) and not US Dollars.  Many folks in North America pay this amount and more for vacations in North America or other areas of the world.  Going to the Maldives from the Indian Subcontinent area would be no more remote or extreme than going to Iceland from San Diego, or South America from Chicago. It's all a matter of perspective.  And since the Maldives may cease to exist in the not too distant future, taking a trip there now would be an experience of a lifetime. 
Should the OP take out a loan?  What are the options?  Many folks, on this board and elsewhere, charge vacation trips on a credit card and think nothing of it.  Do they pay it all off when they get back?  Some do, some don't.  Some use the credit card as a means to float paying off the vacation over time.  How does this differ from taking out a personal loan?  The interest rate on a credit card will likely be as high if not higher than taking out a personal loan.  Not knowing the OP's credit situation, it's a judgement call.  If the OP has the resources and credit worthiness (in North America or the Indian Subcontinent area) to take out a personal loan and a plan to pay it back, I don't see this as being any different than charging the trip on a credit card and doing exactly the same thing.  
Personally, I would not do it.  But that's just me.  I would have the funds in place to pay it off when I got back.  But I'm not going to rush to judgement and say OP shouldn't go there (for whatever reason), or should stay at budget locales (we know nothing of OP's travel plans).  
If the OP is based in North America rather than the Indian Subcontinent area, then the ~$4500 USD is certainly not extreme for such a trip.  

Message 12 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Borrowing $4,500 for a trip if you don't have the money is really not a good idea, but it's the OP's choice if he wants to place himself in debt to take a trip.

If the OP doesn't have $4,500 for his trip, he may not also have emergency funds or other savings that he may really need at some point when something unexpected comes up.

Good luck, OP. Smiley Happy

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.