Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for New Credit Union

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Looking for New Credit Union

My current CU who I have been with a long time won't do CLI on their CC without a HP.  I do all my main  banking with them so I'm looking for a new CU that has great onling banking free checking and the possibility of an automatic or SP CLI at some point. I will keep my current CU for some secondary banking, but after banking with them so long, and having to endure HP for every CLI  I think its time to branch out.

Anyone actually use the CU's that I see on here for their main banking NFCU, PennFed etc, and if so can you let me know how their online banking for paying bills, oppurtunties for auto CLI or SP CLI etc.. Any information would be much appreciated. 

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Scupra
Super Contributor

Re: Looking for New Credit Union

NFCU and PenFed would be a great place to start Smiley Happy

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 2 of 11
Scupra
Super Contributor

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/Official-NFCU-CLI-Guide/td-p/2101185

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/Pentagon-Federal-Credit-Union-Data-Share/td...

That should give you hours of reading Smiley Very Happy Good luck

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 3 of 11
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

My current CU who I have been with a long time won't do CLI on their CC without a HP.  I do all my main  banking with them so I'm looking for a new CU that has great onling banking free checking and the possibility of an automatic or SP CLI at some point. I will keep my current CU for some secondary banking, but after banking with them so long, and having to endure HP for every CLI  I think its time to branch out.

Anyone actually use the CU's that I see on here for their main banking NFCU, PennFed etc, and if so can you let me know how their online banking for paying bills, oppurtunties for auto CLI or SP CLI etc.. Any information would be much appreciated. 

There are many excellent CUs to choose from, I'm personally very pleased with NFCU.  Smiley Happy

I'll just mention that if you're otherwise pleased with your current CU other than the HP for credit card CLIs, why not reach out to them to see if you could get a "final" CLI (even if it's a HP) that would be sufficient without having to be bothered with future CLIs at all?

You might see if they will let you provide proof of income (POI) just this once to get you where you want to be once-and-for-all, then you can concentrate on other cards for SP CLIs.

Of course if you're not pleased with them for banking then by all means drop them like a hot potato... there are too many really good CUs around to be stuck with one you're not pleased with!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 4 of 11
creditguy
Valued Contributor

Well the biggies were already mentioned and you definitely can't go wrong with pen fed or navy. Baller will be by to give you the scoop on the best CU's out there besides the aforementioned.
Message 5 of 11
baller4life
Super Contributor

@creditguy wrote:
Well the biggies were already mentioned and you definitely can't go wrong with pen fed or navy. Baller will be by to give you the scoop on the best CU's out there besides the aforementioned.

😅And here I am...lol. But I agree with other posters. NFCU and Penfed are best bet if sp clis are important. Every other CU I know will want a hp for clis.

Message 6 of 11
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

But also be clear about priorities.     CLIs are rarely "needed" and if they are, a HP may be fine.  In contrast, good banking, with for example, good rates on checking and savings (and Penfed doesn't compete here) can be much more valuable.

Message 7 of 11
baller4life
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

But also be clear about priorities.     CLIs are rarely "needed" and if they are, a HP may be fine.  In contrast, good banking, with for example, good rates on checking and savings (and Penfed doesn't compete here) can be much more valuable.

And Alliant wins that!

Message 8 of 11
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

I would agree, a HP for CLI is annoying sure, but it's not like you are going to be asking every month. Best to consider the overall package IMO.  Penfed's savings rates are barely any better than a "regular" bank (far worse than you can get through Discover online, for example), so I wouldn't be joining for the savings per se.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Most credit unions do manual underwriting for credit card applications rather than rely on a machine to tell them what to do. Sure you can apply online, but usually the information is forwarded to their underwriters... I think you're out of luck with the whole hard pull/soft pull thing where you're banking, since they probably manually review each application, pretty much making everything a hard pull. 

Obviously more advanced credit unions might use a computer; thus, a soft pull CLI without manual review is possible, but those are pretty rare.

As a member of multiple credit unions, I'd rather see the board opt for manual review of each credit decision because it's healthier for the financial institution. There's no way to "game" a human like there is the ability to do so with a computer. A computer also uses algorithm to answer CLI and approval problems, whereas a human can see your credit report without following a "rule." I certanly wouldn't want other members defaulting on loans at my credit union... Who do you think covers you if you default? The other members. 

If you want a more diverse selection of instiutions that allow for a SP CLI, you're better off with a bank such as Discover or Citi. I understand why you'd rather have a credit union credit card though... Lower fees, or no fees at all. I would never expect my credit union to conduct a soft pull CLI, however. 

You can try one of the credit unions Baller listed here, as they're usually good about information regarding this stuff. 

Best of iuck to you. 

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.