Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for online bill pay service

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Looking for online bill pay service

I have to go through a lot of bills per month.

Looking for a service that will consolidate all of my bills and also one that will allow me to pay from multiple bank accounts. 

Any recommendations? I am trying out PayTrust right now. 

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Looking for online bill pay service

@Anonymous wrote:

I have to go through a lot of bills per month.

Looking for a service that will consolidate all of my bills and also one that will allow me to pay from multiple bank accounts. 

Any recommendations? I am trying out PayTrust right now. 

Check out Checkfree... I've never used them, but they provide the back-end bill pay for a lot of banks (including mine) and over the years I've read good things about people who use their service/website.

You might want to check out some more current online reviews, but they've been around for a while and should be stable.

Smiley Wink

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

You should check with some online bill payment software. I usually pay my bills via Paytm. 

Message 3 of 11
elim
Senior Contributor

I don't think I would trust anyone but myself to handle my bill pay (not even the GF). I'm sure you will electronically sign a waiver saying if they blow a payment and it ends up on your reports, they are not to blame. I use Prism, My phone chimes when one is due, I choose one of 4 of my pay-from accounts, swipe down and the bill is paid. Also get notifications and can view/pay from PC.

ps: we all have tons of bills to pay every month.

Message 4 of 11
UncleB
Credit Mentor

At the risk of straying from the theme of the thread, here's what I do:  I have two checking accounts (USAA and Wells Fargo), and I have my cards/bills loaded in the bill pay application for each.  That leaves me two web sites to work with for making payments to any creditor, and of course I can change back-and-forth at will.

If you really want to monitor everything in one place, there are many options.  Using Quicken (or similar software) is one option, and some banks (USAA) even will display the balance and transaction history of external accounts (view only) once you enter your login credentials.  I personally like the idea of leaving the actual bill pay function in the hands of the banks, since if something were to ever go wrong you know exactly who to contact (in my own experience, my bank's bill pay has always worked flawlessly). 

I'm also already familiar with how the bill pay application works (timing-wise) at each bank I use which can be helpful whan running close to a due date.  For example, in my experience USAA is usually faster than Wells, so in a 'pinch' I know to push payments from USAA.  If you chose to use a third-party bill pay provider, you would lose this advantage (at least for a while) and you'll also have another party knowing quite a bit about you.  Especially keep this in mind with the 'free' providers...

Message 5 of 11
starting_over30
Established Member

Your bills don't offer automated bill pay?  I have lots of bills and every single one lets me setup autopay.  Combined with using budgeting software , (I use YNAB), I never have to worry if my bills / utilities are being paid on time.  I've been doing this for a year with no problems at all, the only bill I pay manually is my rent but that's just because I prefer to pay that one manually.  I would worry that a 3rd party service might screw something up and not pay someone, then I'd have to eat the late fee, or worse yet, take a hit on my credit.

Not only is doing this super easy, but it doesn't cost me a dime.  Why pay $10/mo for something you can just as easily do straight through your billers website?

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@starting_over30 wrote:

Your bills don't offer automated bill pay?  I have lots of bills and every single one lets me setup autopay.  Combined with using budgeting software , (I use YNAB), I never have to worry if my bills / utilities are being paid on time.  I've been doing this for a year with no problems at all, the only bill I pay manually is my rent but that's just because I prefer to pay that one manually.  I would worry that a 3rd party service might screw something up and not pay someone, then I'd have to eat the late fee, or worse yet, take a hit on my credit.

Not only is doing this super easy, but it doesn't cost me a dime.  Why pay $10/mo for something you can just as easily do straight through your billers website?

I want a website where i can enter all of the amounts of a particular bill, and have all of those bills consolidated. the thing is that i want to be able to enter the amount by myself, rather than having the lender auto pay it for me.

Message 7 of 11
ceemee2203
Regular Contributor

Try Mint Bills or Prism.

Current Cards: AMEX Everyday ($15k), AMEX BCE ($20k), Amex Platinum, Arrival ($11.5k), Merrill+ ($7.5k), Freedom ($5k), Double Cash ($6.5k)

2/16 - 864 Fico EQ (CITI); 818 Fico Ex (AMEX)
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have all my bills say up for autopay EXCEPT medical bills. My insurance pays the bulk but I always get a small copay. Sometimes it is $20. Sometimes $200.

These arrive as paper bills in the mail and none of the medical bills offer any autopay, and every one has their own different crazy online way to pay the bill.

I live in fear of one day misplacing a $20 bill and having it go to collections.
Message 9 of 11
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
I have all my bills say up for autopay EXCEPT medical bills. My insurance pays the bulk but I always get a small copay. Sometimes it is $20. Sometimes $200.

These arrive as paper bills in the mail and none of the medical bills offer any autopay, and every one has their own different crazy online way to pay the bill.

I live in fear of one day misplacing a $20 bill and having it go to collections.

+1

When I bought my first house, I was a bit surprised to find out there was a medical collection on my credit reports... for $25.  Smiley Mad

Back then I never checked my credit unless something went wrong, so I had no way of knowing until it mattered that there was a problem.  Thankfully it was only a couple of years old, so it was easy to track down.  In my case it wasn't a co-pay, it was an error from the doctor's billing dept. (I was on a PPO, and the billing folks didn't take the insurance markdown; instead they sent a bill to an old address).

The folks at the doctor's office were genuinely apologetic, and they assisted me with having it corrected right away.  With the help of their contact at the collection agency, it was off my credit report within the week (yep, it can be done that fast if they want to).  The people at the doctor's office also mentioned that for only $25 it should have never gone to collections to begin with, for what that's worth (which for me at the time, was not very much... LOL).

This was the 'clarion call' I needed to start taking a proactive role in monitoring my credit.  Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.