Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MY WATER BILL IS OUT OF CONTROL!!!

tag
bclay
Valued Member

Re: MY WATER BILL IS OUT OF CONTROL!!!

It's mainly just lawn and trees.  We lived here for over three years and really our water bill averages between $200-$300 a month.  I know I said earlier between $300-$450 a month.  But I forgot during the winter it is closer to $200 and during the summer it is close to $450.  I don't have a problem paying those amounts it is just when it gets really high!  We aren't the only ones this happens to, our neighbors have the same problem periodically.

Message 11 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know about the severity of the drought in AZ, but I know there is a pretty severe drought here in CA. I live fairly close to San Francisco, so the drought here is not as bad as other parts, but most of us don't water lawns more than twice a week. My water bill has also gone up a fair bit despite lowered water usage. You can't expect to have the same water bill now as during times of plentiful water. If you want to maintain the same water usage, a higher bill during a drought is to be expected. Most of the lawns where I am are dying. Before the neighbors would have made a scene if we let the lawn brown, but now green lawns are pretty much taboo here. You have two simple choices. Let the lawn die and face lower water bills or use water for the lawn and face higher bills. 

Maybe I am not the most sympathetic poster, but after seeing some of the harder hit areas of the drought during work related travel, I can't help it. The poorer counties are also most effected. In more affluent areas like where I live, water is unlikely to ever become an issue. But some people actually lack running water in our country. To me that sort of thing is not something we should see in a developed nation. 

Message 12 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I too live in AZ... while I don't have a lot of land, my last water bill was $64... $1,700 is almost double my mortgage!

Message 13 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

For 1700 you can bathe and brush your teeth with Aquafina
Message 14 of 21
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@bclay wrote:

It's mainly just lawn and trees.  We lived here for over three years and really our water bill averages between $200-$300 a month.  I know I said earlier between $300-$450 a month.  But I forgot during the winter it is closer to $200 and during the summer it is close to $450.  I don't have a problem paying those amounts it is just when it gets really high!  We aren't the only ones this happens to, our neighbors have the same problem periodically.

Doesn't AZ have desert landscaping rather than lawns? My daughter lives in Scottsdale and i rarely see actual green lawns....except maybe in North Scottsdale Smiley Tongue

http://desertcrestllc.com/portfolio/sonoran-style-scottsdale-landscaping/

Message 15 of 21
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Two possibilities....

1.  Someone could be using your outside faucets/hoses.  (Happened in my neighborhood and people saw their water bills more than double.)

2.  There might be fines for over using the water.  Or a tier water cost plan in effect.  (The first xxx gallons are this price, the next xxx gallons are this higher price, etc.)

Message 16 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is this for a business?  I've never heard of a water bill at these prices?  My gosh.  Nomal bills are kind of low.  I live in FL and when it's in the mid 90's, no rain, and we can't use our sprinkler system (since it's only a 1 day a week thing), we use our own sprinklers.  And I thought the 80/90 bucks was too much!  My normal bill is 40.00 and we have 4 bathrooms.  I would definitely get your neighbors together and sign a petition and take it to the Mayor's office.  Go higher up it you have too.  That seems outrageous!  And you know here it's all about our electric bills.  None of my electric bills come close to your water bills!  Gather all you can on this company.  They sound like a bunch of crooks.  With many behind you, you can fight it.  Had a similar thing happen in my old neighborhood.  The guy who built the homes owned the water rights.  Had the water come in from the county and imposed another tax on us for doing so.  Which kind of doubled our bill.  But that was still only 70/80 a month with regular usage. Don't stop until you get somewhere.  Please keep us posted. 

Message 17 of 21
Broke_Triathlete
Valued Contributor

WOW. I couldn't imagine! Our water is included with our rent. I couldn't imagine having a water bill as much as our rent.

Personal:

Business:

Message 18 of 21
blondy250
Established Contributor

I'd imagine watering a lawn and trees in a desert during a historic drought would be expensive.

Fico 8 12/9/17
Equifax 850, TransUnion 842 10/30/17 , Experian 842 12/11/17 . AAOA 12 years Oldest 20
No inquires since 2014
All credit reports frozen
Fico 8 Equifax Bankcard 866 12/27/16
Message 19 of 21
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@blondy250 wrote:

I'd imagine watering a lawn and trees in a desert during a historic drought would be expensive.

It rained here today!  First time I can really recall this year even haha.

        
Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.