Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Marcus

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Marcus

So, evidently there is a new player in the consolidation loan market.  Marcus is a new retail bank started by Goldman Sachs to enter the non-filthy-rich market.

This is so new, I can't find any consumer reviews.  The oldest news story is about a month old.  Evidently the only way to apply is to get a coded invitation in the mail (such as I received today).  Is there any information that anyone has seen/heard/experienced about Marcus?

Thanks,

Message 1 of 42
41 REPLIES 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Marcus

Nope came across this looking for reviews...did you apply? I dont want to be the guinea either...
Message 2 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

So, evidently there is a new player in the consolidation loan market.  Marcus is a new retail bank started by Goldman Sachs to enter the non-filthy-rich market.

This is so new, I can't find any consumer reviews.  The oldest news story is about a month old.  Evidently the only way to apply is to get a coded invitation in the mail (such as I received today).  Is there any information that anyone has seen/heard/experienced about Marcus?

Thanks,

I found several links from different blogs discussing Marcus. Like you stated, most posts are from last month. I had never heard of them before you created this thread. Thanks for the heads up.Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 42
Xarquinn
New Contributor

I received an invite and applied.  After plugging in my invitation code, I was asked for how much i would like to be considered for (a soft pull).  Tried 30k (the max) and was pre-approved for 25k with interest rates varying from 11.9 to 16.9 depending of length.  I retried asking for 12k the following day and was given similar rates.  Settled on 48 months  @ 12.9%.  

The application then asked for employer info and did a hard pull when submitted.  I was immediately asked for my most recent pay stub and given a 1 -2 day message.  Will update with results.  

Starting Score: Low 500's (BK Ch7 Discharged 3/2010) Back in with almost all of the creditors that I burned.
Current Scores: 760 - 800 (BK dropped off Nov 2019)
Alliant CU Visa 10k; Merrick Bank 0.4k (keeping for age); Lowes 25k; Target MC 13k; Capital One 8k; PayPal 10k; Total Rewards (Comenity) 25k; Amex BCP 38k; Discover 28k; PenFed 15k, Chase Amazon 20k; FNBO 28k; Citibank 30k; BlockFi 15k; X1 33k. Local Credit Union HELCO: 97k. Utilization around 30% incl HELCO
Message 4 of 42
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Xarquinn wrote:

@I received an invite and applied.  After plugging in my invitation code, I was asked for how much i would like to be considered for (a soft pull).  Tried 30k (the max) and was pre-approved for 25k with interest rates varying from 11.9 to 16.9 depending of length.  I retried asking for 12k the following day and was given similar rates.  Settled on 48 months  @ 12.9%.  

The application then asked for employer info and did a hard pull when submitted.  I was immediately asked for my most recent pay stub and given a 1 -2 day message.  Will update with results.  

Wouldn't these loans be given the 'finance company" treatment by FICO, and therefore hurt our credit scores?

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 5 of 42
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Xarquinn wrote:

@I received an invite and applied.  After plugging in my invitation code, I was asked for how much i would like to be considered for (a soft pull).  Tried 30k (the max) and was pre-approved for 25k with interest rates varying from 11.9 to 16.9 depending of length.  I retried asking for 12k the following day and was given similar rates.  Settled on 48 months  @ 12.9%.  

Wouldn't these loans be given the 'finance company" treatment by FICO, and therefore hurt our credit scores?

Not sure how FICO determines what's a CFA and what isn't.  It's probably by lender name as I can't see anything specific in my tradeline details on Equifax which is complaining about a CFA on some models (granted it's way down the list).

Most others with it have had to do process of elimination, nothing saying "This is a CFA!" unfortunately.  Wasn't my best move back in 2011 that tacked one onto my account but it's gone in 2021 I guess.

        
Message 6 of 42
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Xarquinn wrote:

Not sure how FICO determines what's a CFA and what isn't.  It's probably by lender name as I can't see anything specific in my tradeline details on Equifax which is complaining about a CFA on some models (granted it's way down the list).

Most others with it have had to do process of elimination, nothing saying "This is a CFA!" unfortunately.  Wasn't my best move back in 2011 that tacked one onto my account but it's gone in 2021 I guess.

So I'll take that as a 'yes'; loans from entities other than banks & credit unions are viewed slightly negatively by FICO algorithms.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 7 of 42
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Xarquinn wrote:

So I'll take that as a 'yes'; loans from entities other than banks & credit unions are viewed slightly negatively by FICO algorithms.

To be safe, probably.  I do know if I ever need a loan again I'll be talking to a CU presumably regardless of my credit score... should've done that back then too but I didn't know much beyond realizing I needed to get some tradelines on my report.  Live and learn like all things Smiley Happy.

Ultimately though have to do what's financially smart, if that mandates getting a loan from Marcus or wherever, and if that winds up being a CFA tacked onto your report /shrug.

        
Message 8 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got one of these invitations as well, "Pre-Approved for up to 30k" at interest rates as low as 5.99%

The huge up side, no fees, of any kind. They state right on their mailer "No fees. Ever".

On their web page, they state clearly "We make money from interest, not fees." Kinda refreshingly honest!

Having asked for quotes from places like Sofi, Bestegg and peer lending groups, and getting quoted credit card interest rates between 11.9 to 17.9 for loans of 5k to 30k, I didn't have much faith this offer would be any better, but needing to consolidate some credit card debt I requested a quote.

First they ask you what size loan you want, and how much per month you are looking to pay. I picked the full 30k @1000 a month payment. (planning to pay it off in 3 years or less)

After a soft pull, it came back with an offer of 30k for 48 months @730 a month payment...and...ready for this?.......6.99%

Thats only about 2.5% above what HELOC loans are going for right now, and I don't own a house.

I applied, uploaded my pay slip, and a few hours later got a call from a reviewer asking to clarify information on the pay slip. After a few questions, she cheerfully said she was all done, and 15 min later I got an approval email. I got back onto the site, uploaded a scan of a voided check where I want to money sent, and now wait for Monday to e-sign the final paperwork.

I will let you all know how the rest of the experience goes.

Message 9 of 42
fullstackdev
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I got one of these invitations as well, "Pre-Approved for up to 30k" at interest rates as low as 5.99%

The huge up side, no fees, of any kind. They state right on their mailer "No fees. Ever".

On their web page, they state clearly "We make money from interest, not fees." Kinda refreshingly honest!

Having asked for quotes from places like Sofi, Bestegg and peer lending groups, and getting quoted credit card interest rates between 11.9 to 17.9 for loans of 5k to 30k, I didn't have much faith this offer would be any better, but needing to consolidate some credit card debt I requested a quote.

@Anonymous they ask you what size loan you want, and how much per month you are looking to pay. I picked the full 30k @1000 a month payment. (planning to pay it off in 3 years or less)

@After a soft pull, it came back with an offer of 30k for 48 months @730 a month payment...and...ready for this?.......6.99%

Thats only about 2.5% above what HELOC loans are going for right now, and I don't own a house.

I applied, uploaded my pay slip, and a few hours later got a call from a reviewer asking to clarify information on the pay slip. After a few questions, she cheerfully said she was all done, and 15 min later I got an approval email. I got back onto the site, uploaded a scan of a voided check where I want to money sent, and now wait for Monday to e-sign the final paperwork.

I will let you all know how the rest of the experience goes.

That's a pretty nice deal! Congrats on the approval. Which CRA did they pull?

Mar 2017: EQ 733 80 INQ | TU 768 42 INQ | EX 755 80 INQ || AMEX PRG | AMEX BGR | USAA Rewards VS $17K | USAA NAMF AMEX $15K | SECU Visa $10K | Cap1 V1 (AU) $45.75K | AMEX BCE (AU) $10K | Marvel MC $25K | Walmart MC $10K | Freedom $12.2K | USAA Cash Rewards VS $18K | Walmart SC $25K | PENFED CR $9K | AMEX EDP $24K | Banana Republic SC $10K | MECU $10K | Amazon SC $25K | Barclays Apple Rewards $10K | J. Crew $13.6K | Cap1 PlayStation $3K | Cap1 QS1 $2.6K | Business: AMEX Green NPSL | AMEX SimplyCash $2K | AMEX Blue for Business $3K | Cap1 Spark Visa $7.5K | Amazon Rev. $2.5K | Amazon PIF (No PG) $1K | Walmart (No PG) $2.5K | Chase Marriott Business $30K | Chase Ink $14K
Message 10 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.