cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Military/DOD CUs which still take NLUS SD members, and how to apply the proper way for NLUS SD Memb?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Military/DOD CUs which still take NLUS SD members, and how to apply the proper way for NLUS SD Memb?

Hi all,

After seeing the NLUS/NavyFed thread shutdown due to NLUS memberships no longer being a valid qualifier, I tried to find out how to properly apply for PenFed, and when I couldn't find any info, I thought it would be good to compile a list of places where NLUS SD is still accepted as well as how to properly apply to those.

I'm assuming, of course, that PenFed would also require a paper application, however I didn't see any option on their site for this. Can anyone who is a member of PenFed that got in via NLUS please provide details about how to apply using your NLUS membership?

Also, does anyone else know of any other places that have specific requirements preventing the general public from becoming a member, but which will accept NLUS memberships as a qualifier?

I wanted to also mention that I app'ed a few days ago using NLUS SD for a NavyFed account anyway despite the previous posts stating that it was shutdown -- just in case it was a temporary shutdown. I was rejected, but the rejection letter seems to have been updated YET AGAIN to reflect that children and grandchildren of DD-214 holders are able to become members. My mother is now in the process of digging up my deceased grandfather's Army Calvary DD-214 so that I can apply using that.

Finally, I wanted to ask specifically about USAA. I've heard conflicting stories in the past as to whether children and grandchildren of DD-214 holders can become members. I would love to become a member of USAA for the auto insurance, if my grandfather's DD-214 can get me in; so if anyone can let me know that, it would be much appreciated.

I'm happy to maintain this top post with the details if anyone can provide answers to any or all of the above questions.

========================= List of Credit Unions and how to apply =========================

Pentagon Federal Credit Union - Apply online. NLUS is listed as one of the options to qualify you as a member.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Military/DOD CUs which still take NLUS SD members, and how to apply the proper way for NLUS SD M

for PenFed you can apply online and use Navy League. They are listed as an organization that can be used for eligibility. Took me just a few minutes to go through the application
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Military/DOD CUs which still take NLUS SD members, and how to apply the proper way for NLUS SD M

Outstanding, thank you! I have updated the original post with this information. Much appreciated!

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

As someone already stated, PenFed is the only other military based credit union that I know of that accepts members of NLUS (among other options) to become members of the CU.

As far as USAA...they are a tough one to crack. Both my grandfathers served in WWII and my dad served in Vietnam. All have since passed and were never members of USAA in life. Therefore, USAA is not available to me. Others have said to give USAA a call to see what can be done; however, with USAA it is usually through your parent rather than grandparoent that you would gain membership with. They made a lot of changes in 2013 to tighten up membership so that you have to have a clear, close military tie to get in. 

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

How close? Would my mother who is his daughter stand a better chance? Or is it pretty much military and their spouses only?
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pretty close; parent or spouse. They are pretty clear too that the parent had to have been a member. It would be worth a call to see if you can join USAA through your grandfather's service or if you mom can join through her father's service. If the latter, you could join through her. Not saying its impossible, but it is a long shot. 

I didn't serve so I don't deserve membership. As much as I would like it; I do respect and appreciate that USAA has chosen to serve those that served. 

Message 6 of 8
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

Would having an active duty child work for a parent to get in? Or does it just go down the line and not up?
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just wanted to add, close family member works for USAA and he said getting into their banking can be state specific. Some states require that banking be open to anyone, but not insurance. Some state only allow financial planning.

However, without the direct military membership, your mobile banking will be restricted. For instance, deposits will have to be mailed or made at a UPS store.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.