Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving To Georgia

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Moving To Georgia

Hi All! My company is relocating me down to Atlanta, Georgia from New York. Can anyone here offer some advice for move? I know Atlanta isn't as expensive as New York but I would like to get a good idea what my budget for the first few months down there might look like and how much I should be looking to save.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
luxeprw9
Frequent Contributor

Re: Moving To Georgia

I lived in Atlanta for 4 years.  It's a different city than when I lived there but I have friends who are still there and keep me updated.

There's alot factors that go into deciding what relocation costs:

Do you have a car? Do you need to be close to public transportation?

How much space do you need?

Will you live close to your job?

Do you want to live in the city or suburbs?

Not sure what your salary is, but based on the image below, it won't take much!  LOL!

ATL NYC.PNG

FICO Score 8 as of 07/23/18
EQ - 770
EX - 757
TU - 741
Goal: 800
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think its terrible that companies relocate. It causes difficulty to the employees that have to relocate and it causes great difficulty to the cities in which the company relocate to. This is happening all too much in Denver. Traffic is awful and the cost of housing is downright criminal. I would love to be able to sue CA, NY, TX and IL for not keeping companies/residents in their own states. I'm not bitter...promise Smiley Wink.

Anyway, back to your questions. Like Denver, Atlanta is growing fast...too fast, so expect a lot of traffic and increasing cost of housing. Try to buy as soon as you can (renting at first is smart because it gives you an opportunity to get a feel for your new surroundings and lets you decide where you want to invest in a house). I think your greatest expense will be the move itself (which hopefully your company is paying for) and as the other poster said, if you do not currently have a car you may want to consider one if you move away from the city centre. Otherwise, as you pointed out, Atlanta is not as expensive as New York so as long as you are keeping your NY salary in GA you will probably come out way on top.

Best of luck. It will be scary and exciting all at once. 

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

• Yes, I have a car, a nice plug-in hybrid that helps out so much in traffic. I'm almost done with paying it off.

• I don't need too much, it'll just be me for most likely at least a year until my GF and I get married then she'll move down from NY. My current apartment in NY is only about 350 Sq. Feet but its a basement apartment I found on craigslist and I'm only paying $850 including Utilities. Atlanta looks like I'll be paying more overall for more space/legal apartment.

• Preferably, I have heard Traffic absolutely sucks even compared to NY. I suppose I wouldn't mind about a 30 minute commute but less is preferable.

• North Suburbs. My job is going to be located in Sandy Springs by St. Joseph's Hospital

And finally my salary for the year is about 57k before taxes. Can you send me the link for that calculator?

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

The main reason for the relocation is that my building is closing down. I'm actually a bit happy I'll be getting out of New York. Taxes are way too high (Going Higher!), housing is literally going through the roof, and in Georgia I would definitely be able to buy a house if I figure I'll be staying there for several years. My girlfriend and I looked at apartments the other day just to get an idea what we like and the prices were over $2000 a month for a one bedroom... and prices are only going up because demand is way outpacing the supply.

I'm fairly set money-wise; My company is paying for the move, I'm keeping my current salary, and I'm getting a nice bonus to pay for miscellaneous expenses although it's not enough for a downpayment on a home. If I like the area and I can convince my girl that it'll be best for us to stay/invest in a property then I'll see about house hunting in January when I've saved a decent sized amount to put down.

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I made a move from NH to SC about 16 months ago and found the message boards at citydata.com to be very helpful prior to the move. They have one for each state and the one for Georgia at http://www.city-data.com/forum/georgia/ has boards broken down by area. There's also a general moving forum with some good info. Good luck on the move.

Message 6 of 13
luxeprw9
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

• Yes, I have a car, a nice plug-in hybrid that helps out so much in traffic. I'm almost done with paying it off.

• I don't need too much, it'll just be me for most likely at least a year until my GF and I get married then she'll move down from NY. My current apartment in NY is only about 350 Sq. Feet but its a basement apartment I found on craigslist and I'm only paying $850 including Utilities. Atlanta looks like I'll be paying more overall for more space/legal apartment.

• Preferably, I have heard Traffic absolutely sucks even compared to NY. I suppose I wouldn't mind about a 30 minute commute but less is preferable.

• North Suburbs. My job is going to be located in Sandy Springs by St. Joseph's Hospital

And finally my salary for the year is about 57k before taxes. Can you send me the link for that calculator?

http://money.cnn.com/calculator/pf/cost-of-living/

I like the Sandy Springs/Dunwoody area.  I think you should look at Cobb County for housing.  I believe you will find reasonable housing in that area and still be close to your job.  

When you mention the $2,000 are you referring to NYC or Atlanta?  You can definitely find way cheaper housing in Atlanta for under $2k, especially if you are in the suburbs or in a older community.  http://www.apartmentguide.com/apartments/Georgia/Marietta/1-beds-1z141xt/

For housing and development news, check out: http://atlanta.curbed.com/

EQ - 770
EX - 757
TU - 741
Message 7 of 13
luxeprw9
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I think its terrible that companies relocate. It causes difficulty to the employees that have to relocate and it causes great difficulty to the cities in which the company relocate to. This is happening all too much in Denver. Traffic is awful and the cost of housing is downright criminal. I would love to be able to sue CA, NY, TX and IL for not keeping companies/residents in their own states. I'm not bitter...promise Smiley Wink.

Anyway, back to your questions. Like Denver, Atlanta is growing fast...too fast, so expect a lot of traffic and increasing cost of housing. Try to buy as soon as you can (renting at first is smart because it gives you an opportunity to get a feel for your new surroundings and lets you decide where you want to invest in a house). I think your greatest expense will be the move itself (which hopefully your company is paying for) and as the other poster said, if you do not currently have a car you may want to consider one if you move away from the city centre. Otherwise, as you pointed out, Atlanta is not as expensive as New York so as long as you are keeping your NY salary in GA you will probably come out way on top.

Best of luck. It will be scary and exciting all at once. 

If there are Texans moving to Colorado, trust me it's because Californians are moving here in droves and they are trying to get away from them!!  LOL!  I live in North Texas, and it's turning into LA/SF part 2!  

I agree that it raises the cost of houses and traffic is out of control, but I do understand the benefits for the people moving and I think that's great!  I think anytime a family has an opportunity to raise their standard of living it's a win for everyone.  Things will eventually settle and it will all balance out is my belief.

EQ - 770
EX - 757
TU - 741
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks and I'm talking about the average prices for new apartments on Long Island, NY in a good location.

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sandy Springs and Alphareatta (sp) were not cheap compared to most of metro Atlanta when I lived their 30 plus years ago. Bad part those are you better areas along with Dunwoody when i was there.  Acworth or East Cobb  is cheaper but long drive. I want a Hot Dog and onion rings from the Varsity my favorite grease stop.  I miss them. 

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.