cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My ?Morning Ritual: Mint, myFICO, & Excel. What's yours?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: My ?Morning Ritual: Mint, myFICO, & Excel. What's yours?

Its more of a noontime ritual for me as I work nights,but...

Check emails as I make a snack of some bread and good cheese (damn you all to hell Standard Market), assuming no my fico alerts in email, flip on bloomberg to make sure the world isn't ending (often times according to them it seems to be), check CK, check my relevant stocks, flip over to a soccer match, log onto my fico. At halftime I shower and decide if I have to doanything before work, then I check my CU websites just to see if theres anything interesting. I have my CCs set so that 1 closes on the 1st, 2 on the 10th, and 2 on the 20th. At some point I check those just to see if I need to make a payment (or if I have any really good discover or Bank Americard deals). I like this better than having them all close together so I can use a card that I will have the option to pay off before statement closes if I need to.

Message 11 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Open up Excel and do the rounds of accounts; log in, verify my Excel registers match the website, on to the next. When they're all balanced, it's off to the Budget tab to make sure I'm still on target, make adjustments, pat myself on the back.

Takes about 15 minutes... but I do it at work. LOL.

Spreadsheet tabs

Message 12 of 14
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@seruby wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@baygirl wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

myFICO Cat Tongue

I have everything on autopay and recently went and put in the requests to put all but one of my cards to a single payment date which should line up their statement dates roughly to manage the reported balances.  I double-check USAA occasionally instead of using Mint, they get everything except failing on my DCU secured card (though they get my DCU savings/checking and former auto loan just fine beats me) and the Wally card which I intend to get rid of after blitzing through the mortgage process in a month.

Wow...great idea to request a single payment date!  First time over here to Personal Finance; glad I ventured over here.  Smiley Happy

*first-timer in this section too* Oh so glad I did today...

How have I been playing the credit game, never thinking to do that....lol!
-payment date requests made, can't wait to see what transpires as a result-Smiley Happy

Heh glad it was useful but I can't take credit for the idea; I saw something over on Smorgasboard a few weeks ago about changing due dates and likewise thought it was a great idea to do it with all of my cards that I could.  Before I was having to manage my balances twice a month (1st and 15th worked for me) but once the due dates finish coming through I can just make a pass on the 1st to pretty things up and go on with life (my due dates are all on the 9th) for when I need to get uber clean for an application.

Most times I don't worry about it but I get fustruated with how much time it takes to manage a bunch of revolvers when I need to, and this is nothing but goodness for simplifying that and easier to build a routine around even with the autopay backup.  Less time = more winning in my life.

When you changed the due dates, did it impact the statement and reporting dates?

I was considering doing this for one of my cards.  I have 2 cards that report about 3 days apart (21st and 24th), and I signed up for another one early in the month in hopes it would have an early reporting date.  But it's reporting date ended up being the 17th, so they're all still close to each other.   I wanted the last card to report on like the 10th, so I was thinking of changing the due date but wasn't sure if that impacted the statement date as well.

It should but all the lenders had a disclaimer on how it takes two statements to change or thereabouts, so and I'm still patiently waiting for them to take effect.

ETA: Amex processed it on one of my cards and as expected did change the statement date, cut and paste notice the dates:

$10.00 since Jan 20 (closing Mar 12)

        
Message 13 of 14
jbsea
Established Contributor

Almost the same as you... I check in order... USAA for all credit activity, then NFCU then BoA.  Then have my coffee and read the forums before I have to leave for work.

Amex Gold / Amex Platinum / Amex Marriott Brilliant/ Amex BCP/ Capital One Venture (AU) / Capital One Savor One/ Discover / NFCU Cash Rewards / BOA Unlimited Cash Rewards / NFCU GO Rewards (AU) / Amex EDP / NFCU Flagship Rewards / Chase Freedom (AU) / Capital One QuickSilver / Citi Costco (AU) / Amex Delta
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.