Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU Application

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

NFCU Application

I called NFCU today to see if I am eligible and they said yes due to my Grandfathers WWII service. I am really excited about it! I filled the app out over the phone and was told it would take 3-5 days for approval. I was wondering if anyone else had this happen and what I might expect to happen from them. I was very close with my Grandparents, after they passed I inherited his military documents. I must say I feel shaky when I hold them and a bit of sea mist clouds the eyes... anyway I even have his Navy ID card from then. Should I scan his DD 214 to send them or will that be unnecessary?

Thanks in advance,

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NFCU Application

I wouldn't send it unless they asked for it. There are many posts on here about not needing the DD 214 to gain membership. There are also just as many posts saying they had to provide it. My personal philosophy on things like this is to have everything ready but only provide what they ask for, when they ask for it.

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I wouldn't send it unless they asked for it. There are many posts on here about not needing the DD 214 to gain membership. There are also just as many posts saying they had to provide it. My personal philosophy on things like this is to have everything ready but only provide what they ask for, when they ask for it.

Thank you Coltsfan34. I guess the exitment of it has me over thinking it a bit.

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

You're welcome, not to worry, I would be excited as well. Having the items ready to go is the correct thing to do, if they do ask. Either way you should be in like Flynn so congrats and enjoy the membership and its privileges.

Message 4 of 12
Appleman
Valued Contributor

If you are planning to apply for credit products they may want a copy of a current DL and the last two pay stubs. So gather those as you wait to hear.

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Appleman wrote:

If you are planning to apply for credit products they may want a copy of a current DL and the last two pay stubs. So gather those as you wait to hear.

Thats a great idea, Thank you. Im on the fence about apoplying for the CC, Ive added over 30k in lines over the last 11-12 months, and I feel like its time to let it ride for awhile and let my report age. My AAoA is 2.8 ish, not terrible but I could grow it a bit and focus on other things in my file. But idk. That 5% NRA card sounds great for gas, but I think that will be the last one if I decide to make one more app. Whats your guys thoughts?

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

So what happened with this?

Did you get into NFCU?

Message 7 of 12
Aprile421
Regular Contributor

I have been a member of NFCU for a few months now. I was shocked that all I had to do was call in ask if I was eligiable. They asked me about family military service told them both parents, uncle and grandfather all served that was it, I was in. Opened checking and savings and have never been asked for proof yet.... I get cc offers in the mail almost daily from them. They seem much easier to get into than USAA was. I have even sponsered my son and roommate to get their own accounts and no military proof has been asked of still. I can provide if needed because I have both my mother and father's military papers but so far nothing.

It strikes me as funny how some have to jump through hoops with all this paper work and others nothing. They must have some sort of internal way of verifying things there or something. None of my realatives were NFCU members. I got membership through my father for USAA because he is a member and I passed that to my son. For USAA my room mate is not eligiable. I wonder why one allows room mates and the other doesn't.

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi April. ...Yes, I was just searching some more recent NFCU threads on this board, and I found several where applicants just called up and provided a few general details and were accepted.  No documents required.  

One reply said branch of service and approximate dates of service for the relative were inquired about.

If I go for NFCU in the future, I can use my grandfather's stats.

Message 9 of 12
Aprile421
Regular Contributor

I wasn't even asked the dates or names. I just gave them my name SS# and they hard pulled opened the accounts. I waited and waited for them to send me something asking for verification of anything but they haven't so far. Only thing I can think of is they see my USAA membership and that tells them I have military proof because they would not allow me to join if I did not have a relative who could join. I wonder if that is true for others. Those that have bank accounts or charge cards with other military banks that require proof of service and NFCU sees that, then they have their proof. If they don't see that maybe that is when they ask for all the proof???

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.