Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU Membership

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NFCU Membership

I joined Navy League, SD chapter, then submitted my NFCU app via email on 9/30. On 10/3 I got an email requesting additional forms of ID (I sent in 4 forms with my app so I can't imagine why they would need more but whatever) . I sent these on 10/4 and got the auto reply so I know they got them. The auto reply stated it would take 5 days to review and I would hear something. It's been 11 days and crickets. Nothing. I know they haven't pulled my credit yet either. It really should not take this long for them to either deny or approve membership applications. I am not getting the best first impression from them.
Message 31 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would call if I was you, and tell the customer service agent that you emailed your app and 4 forms of identification and see if they can speed up the process. I called and was able to get approve for membership, and they approved me with a Visa card the same day as well. Hope this helps. 

Message 32 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I joined Navy League on last night with the $25 e-membership. I joined the San Diego chapter as well. However, when I called this morning to join NFCU, the customer service agent advised me that you DO NOT have to be afflifated with a specific chapter, she said as long as you are a member of the Navy League you qualify to become a member of NFCU, as long as you can proved you are a member! She didn't request for verification, however she stated if member services need to verify my account later in the future, they will need my Navy League membership letter. I currently reside in Dallas, TX, therefore I think I want to change the chapter that I joined. So, I may called Navy League later today to change my chapter. I also applied for the CashBack rewards Visa and was approved for $1600. They pulled my TU report twice, once for joining and once for the credit card application. I didn't like that! I have 2 hard pulls on my TU from them.

Currently, I have a unpaid Judgement and 2 old collections accounts on my TU. I also have 3 revolving accounts thats been open for 2 years and I have never missed a payment on either. My Fico score is 612, it was 621 before the hard pulls. <-- I applied for credit other than NFCU visa card yesterday, so my score decreased 9 points.

From all the evidence collected by many who have joined NFCU the representative gave you some bad information. The San Diego chapter is the only one included in a merger with another credit union and NFCU.

I joined Navy League last friday, but I think I screwed it up. I left the "preferred council" blank, because I had no idea what it meant. They have taken my 25 bucks, but no membership email yet.

Am I screwed? Can I rejoin under the SD council? Or have my council changed?

Message 33 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Norman.

I'm not sure, but I'll PM you with the contact information to them so that you can talk to them about getting your chapter changed.  I remember reading that it will default to the chapter closest to you.

Message 34 of 43
mrldp40
Established Contributor

i messed up i guess . i applied online for nfcu was immediately approved for checking and saving  .then jioned navy leauge didnt put san diego.

nfcu setting up my online account right then ,i have account numbers and access code my debit card came today.  idk they may shut me down when they check

but i havent emailed them anything .  im going to keep cool a month or two and if they dont boot me im going to start using it

ready to start a rebuild ex 533 eq 518 tu 541
inquiries EQ 2 EX 0 TU 1 multiple charge off current card green dot secured 500
Message 35 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mrldp40 wrote:

i messed up i guess . i applied online for nfcu was immediately approved for checking and saving  .then jioned navy leauge didnt put san diego.

nfcu setting up my online account right then ,i have account numbers and access code my debit card came today.  idk they may shut me down when they check

but i havent emailed them anything .  im going to keep cool a month or two and if they dont boot me im going to start using it

I had a BUNCH of issues getting my membership w Navy, like a lot.. I have the direct number to a Supervisor there who helped me with all my issues and we're basically on a first name basis now. I joint Navy in July, and just not got all my account issues resolved. I had a lot of trouble adding my husband to my account, they even blocked my account since they claimed the documents we sent them were fraud.. *eye roll*. Anyway, keep on top of it, if you DO have issues, take it to social media they are ON TOP of that stuff and will get it resolved ASAP.

They do account audits and you'll most likely get a letter in the mail asking you to provide them proof of how you're elligible to be a member. They did that with my husband because they created two accounts for him with two different SSNs. The one with me attached was fine, the other was the one that caused the flag. if you don't show proof they'll shut you down.

Message 36 of 43
mrldp40
Established Contributor

I went ahead and emailed my membership email from navy league to them if they need more information I have it. Thanks for your help love this myfico forum
ready to start a rebuild ex 533 eq 518 tu 541
inquiries EQ 2 EX 0 TU 1 multiple charge off current card green dot secured 500
Message 37 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NFCU **JOINT**Membership

I'm confused here on "joint" membership with my husband who's a "full" member.

We're considering a home equity loan application but, my income is substantially more than his retirement income. We've always filed joint taxes, 95% of our assets are joint.

There is little doubt applying for any type of credit/loan would enhance approval.

Do I need to create my own new account & join seperately to become a "full" member?

When he added me as a "joint" member to his account I included all the info, DL#, "did you ever own a '32 Ford, visit the Empire State Bldg on your 30th b'day"?

This is kinda wacky with spousal membership being a second class citizen.

Or is it just me? He's the Vet familiar with the "military Mindset"?

Message 38 of 43
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Did anybody got their membership by using NLUS-Sandiego method at the branch?

The preferred methods to join are faxing, emailing, or mailing the application.

I was lucky to be able to join inside a branch in June. Sometime in September they tightened up on the policy.  Now you can go to the branch and they can fax it for you.

To me, it's well worth the wait.  

Guyatthebeach

Message 39 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NFCU **JOINT**Membership

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm confused here on "joint" membership with my husband who's a "full" member.

We're considering a home equity loan application but, my income is substantially more than his retirement income. We've always filed joint taxes, 95% of our assets are joint.

There is little doubt applying for any type of credit/loan would enhance approval.

Do I need to create my own new account & join seperately to become a "full" member?

When he added me as a "joint" member to his account I included all the info, DL#, "did you ever own a '32 Ford, visit the Empire State Bldg on your 30th b'day"?

This is kinda wacky with spousal membership being a second class citizen.

Or is it just me? He's the Vet familiar with the "military Mindset"?

You should already have a membership number.  You just need to set up your own share savings account and you will be a "full" member.

Message 40 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.