cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU Navy Fed no longer allowing new membership through Navy League of San Diego?

tag
nolamike
Frequent Contributor

Re: NFCU Navy Fed no longer allowing new membership through Navy League of San Diego?

Starting Score: EQ 628 | TU 643 | EXP 618
Fico 8 12/22/16: EQ 658 | TU 682 | EXP 721
Next Goal:        700's across the board
Credit Karma:   EQ 554 | TU 551
CK 12/22/2016: EQ 637 | TU 637
Message 51 of 96
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: NFCU Navy Fed no longer allowing new membership through Navy League of San Diego?

@nolamike wrote:

@nolamike, as I mentioned before, NFCU treats step children (and parents/spouses) the same as 'natural' for membership purposes, so what you're describing isn't necessary.

In addition to my own experience this is well-documented on here and other sites, but if anybody is still unsure they can also reach out to NFCU for clarification before jumping through unnecessary hoops. 

Message 52 of 96
nolamike
Frequent Contributor

UncleB

Not every case is cut and dried when it comes to step family relationships. We do not know the facts about the OP's situation. Leading him to believe it would be "easy" is inappropriate. For example if he is divorced from the step-sons mother, then legally there is no relationship and if the marriage was short even less of a one. Does that mean NFCU will reject him? nope, but they could. There are a dozen more wrinkles that I can think of that would make the process more difficult and he just needs to be prepared and know that there are known-unknowns that could pop up.

He can call, but as many posts show not every NFCU CSR is on the ball and one could give him the wrong info.

so everything I said stands, and if it comes up again I will repost the same thing. As people here like to say YMMV and it applies to the step-relationship for membership in NFCU.

Starting Score: EQ 628 | TU 643 | EXP 618
Fico 8 12/22/16: EQ 658 | TU 682 | EXP 721
Next Goal:        700's across the board
Credit Karma:   EQ 554 | TU 551
CK 12/22/2016: EQ 637 | TU 637
Message 53 of 96
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@nolamike wrote:

UncleB

Not every case is cut and dried when it comes to step family relationships. We do not know the facts about the OP's situation. Leading him to believe it would be "easy" is inappropriate. For example if he is divorced from the step-sons mother, then legally there is no relationship and if the marriage was short even less of a one. Does that mean NFCU will reject him? nope, but they could. There are a dozen more wrinkles that I can think of that would make the process more difficult and he just needs to be prepared and know that there are known-unknowns that could pop up.

He can call, but as many posts show not every NFCU CSR is on the ball and one could give him the wrong info.

so everything I said stands, and if it comes up again I will repost the same thing. As people here like to say YMMV and it applies to the step-relationship for membership in NFCU.

Eh, if the poster is divorced from his step-child's mother, then technically the kid is no longer his step-child, and this is a moot point.

I will agree that not every CSR is created equal and the clearer the path to the sponsor the better, but I still stand by my point that a true step child (with no other 'confusion') is rather cut-and-dry, i.e. treated as a child, and no 'hoops' are necessary.  The same holds true for step-siblings, and step-parents... this is not YMMV.

We all have to do what we feel is right for our situation, though.

Message 54 of 96
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kugel wrote:
I wonder will this effect existing members who manged to get in to apply to new products ?
Waiting to get the Amex in sep

Up until the 12th of May 2017, members of the NLUS San Diego Council met NFCU's Field of Membership criteria. NLUS members were granted full membership to NFCU and once a member, always a member. I really do not believe anybody that joined through NLUS will have any issues going forward as they are valid members of the credit union. 

All that really happened on 12 May was that NFCU changed their Field of Membership to now exclude members of the NLUS San Diego Council. Those who got in before 12 May are good to go. Those that waited too long to join or who weren't aware of this now defunct option are SOL unless they have a military way in. 

Message 55 of 96
Tazman81
Established Contributor

@nolamike:  Your post is quite inappropriate.  UncleB is correct in his assessment.  The best way to join NFCU is through a direct connection.  It's not necessary to jump through the hoops that YOU, not the OP, introduced to this situation.  It is not a YMMV as UncleB pointed out because the step-child relationship is clearly documented on the NFCU website & in the NCUA field of membership rules for NFCU.  Had the OP indicated they were divorced, then they would have gotten a different answer and your suggestion would not have worked either.  UncleB's response was customized to what the OP asked.  Also if we use your way of thinking and introduce yet another variable, what if the spouse didn't want to join?  Does that make the OP ineligible for NFCU membership?  It does not.

I'd like to point out that I do not see the MyFico community as "a bunch of strangers".  This is a community that specializes in credit conversations, is hosted by the most widely used credit score, and we have knowledgeable people that have been here for YEARS providing advice, keeping up with current events, and giving information that is not available anywhere else.  So to discount the advice on this forum is not appropriate.

Current Score: Eq: 823 Tu: 830
Goal Score: Eq: 850 Tu: 850

Wallet: PenFed Power Cash 50k | AMEX Blue Cash (AU) 49.5k | Cap One QSMC 26.5k | AMEX Platinum NPSL | USAA Signature Visa 25k
Message 56 of 96
Anonymous
Not applicable

I really do not care for the tone that this thread has taken. I also do not appreciate witnessing people openly attacking a moderator by correcting their grammar and spelling. It is pompous, classless and isn't helping anybody. 

In terms of the membership qualifications, we can all type our fingers off with what is or isn't correct. At the end of the day, we all have the responsibility to take what is provided to us and then obtain our own information. If the original poster still has questions about his eligibility based on his relationship to his stepson then he should contact NFCU. 

Message 57 of 96
Tazman81
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My Stepson is in the Army stationed in Korea and my Nephew is a Marine served 2006-2010. Would either of these make me eligible to get into NFCU?

@Anonymous:  Sorry for the confusing turn the thread took.  Feel free to send me or UncleB a PM if you still have questions.  Happy to help out where we can.

Current Score: Eq: 823 Tu: 830
Goal Score: Eq: 850 Tu: 850

Wallet: PenFed Power Cash 50k | AMEX Blue Cash (AU) 49.5k | Cap One QSMC 26.5k | AMEX Platinum NPSL | USAA Signature Visa 25k
Message 58 of 96
Anonymous
Not applicable

NFCU is very clear on  their requirements for membership.  If you are unsure about it call them and ask, the folks that work there are extremely polite and helpful.

They can not do a  "sweep" and close your accounts just because they have changed their membership requirements. When you joined, you had met said requirements.

I would only suggest IMHO that if you currently have an account .. treat it like gold. They will have the right to close you down if you fail to keep your end of the bargain (i.e. late payments, over drafts ect..) as dose any other financial institution.

Also if you close your accounts they have the legal right to deny re-opening if you don't meet their current requirements for membership (they do not "grandfather" you in just because you had an account before)..so once you close that door it is highly unlikely they will reopen it.

Message 59 of 96
Anonymous
Not applicable

In my many years of hanging around this board, often I have felt Myficoer's gave incorrect or distorted information only to see things had changed and the posters she/he offered what they knew from wherever they learned the information. My error was not recognizing that they were trying to supply information and the actual information had been updated/changed for whatever reason since they last knew it. I remember when lenders had cold hard rules and they varied not "... you could take them to the bank..." Today, lenders seem to change faster than I can get my laundry laundered. Also today, we have the best Moderators I have seen in my many years on this board, they have taken the "fake news" out of the board and kept of adhereing to the "Terms and Conditions" (which I have not always liked" as I tend to "rant"). One of the aspects of our current Moderators is they have "walked the walk" and experienced the many ups and downs of credit. Their experiences has helped draw out more information from "us" the posters and often corrected old information. Unfortunately, I have disagreed with many posters only to find I am the one that is out of date or misinformed.

Your statement that it is: "... classless for a moderator or anyone to give intentionally incorrect information ..." would be spot on but, the Moderators on this board like many of us try hard to give you their best information or to steer the posting to the topic at hand and try to ensure quality information (sometimes it may be right or wrong but they are not trying to give you false information). On this topic ... "you can take it to the bank" !!!

Message 60 of 96
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.