cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU Navy Fed no longer allowing new membership through Navy League of San Diego?

tag
Tazman81
Established Contributor

Re: NFCU Navy Fed no longer allowing new membership through Navy League of San Diego?

@Anonymous wrote:

NFCU is very clear on  their requirements for membership.  If you are unsure about it call them and ask, the folks that work there are extremely polite and helpful.

They can not do a  "sweep" and close your accounts just because they have changed their membership requirements. When you joined, you had met said requirements.

I would only suggest IMHO that if you currently have an account .. treat it like gold. They will have the right to close you down if you fail to keep your end of the bargain (i.e. late payments, over drafts ect..) as dose any other financial institution.

Also if you close your accounts they have the legal right to deny re-opening if you don't meet their current requirements for membership (they do not "grandfather" you in just because you had an account before)..so once you close that door it is highly unlikely they will reopen it.

I agree with you on this.  Once having the account setup, and most should keep it open unless they have an alternative way to be a part of the field of membership for NFCU.  Even if kept open for savings, they do have pretty good promotional savings such as the 3% CD up to $3000 for 12 months with direct deposit.

Current Score: Eq: 823 Tu: 830
Goal Score: Eq: 850 Tu: 850

Wallet: PenFed Power Cash 50k | AMEX Blue Cash (AU) 49.5k | Cap One QSMC 26.5k | AMEX Platinum NPSL | USAA Signature Visa 25k
Message 61 of 96
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NFCU Navy Fed no longer allowing new membership through Navy League of San Diego?

nolamike you present a through analysis of the findings in this matter. After reading your followup I concede I did not read the entire thread in the depth you have and believe your displeasure has been brought to the surface. As much as this type of happening is most unfortunate and disagreements happen it is important that posters are able to agree and disagree (we learn from that).

Will offer a couple of points, this board is offered as a service of the FICO Corporation who has legal requirements they must maintain for their clients. That said, this board is administered by professional personnel of the FICO Corporation. You will find that Administrators are assigned to check and maintain a compliance with FICO Corporation legal requirements and to ensure that a "civility" is maintained on this board along with an open forum for information and sharing of concepts and ideas.
Message 62 of 96
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thread is now locked for Moderator review

Message 63 of 96
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have deleted multiple posts in this thread for violations of Friendly, Supportive and Respectful.  PMs will be sent to appropriate person(s).

It is not a violation of any MyFICO forum rule to disagree with a moderator. It is however a violation when that disagreement turns to flaming and personal attacks just as it would be for any other poster.  If you can't disagree with someone without doing that, then don't post.

I will reopen this thread for discussion about NFCU no longer allowing the NLUS method for membership.  Please keep future posts on topic and thank you for your cooperation.

Message 64 of 96
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

Some legal entities don't consider the step-child/parent relationship to be terminated with divorce. For example, the IRS. It's possible that NFCU uses this 'definition' (for lack of a better word). Then again, they may not. The reason I said it might be easier to have the parent join first is the last names may match (if the parent is the father) or less paperwork to provide if proof is needed.
Message 65 of 96
nolamike
Frequent Contributor

you are absolutely correct and only NFCU can provide clarification on that matter for the OP in their particular circumstances.

There are legitimate ways to gain membership through relationships and the OP needs to know the potential factors that could influence that decision instead of some blanket claim by someone on the Internet. Forewarned is Forearmed.

Starting Score: EQ 628 | TU 643 | EXP 618
Fico 8 12/22/16: EQ 658 | TU 682 | EXP 721
Next Goal:        700's across the board
Credit Karma:   EQ 554 | TU 551
CK 12/22/2016: EQ 637 | TU 637
Message 66 of 96
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bad News!!! NFCU no longer accepting membership through SDNL

Submitted membership application and all supporting docs 2 weeks ago. Was asked to verify ID but no further word back from them so called today and was told by CSR that NFCU has dropped Navy League from their charter. I guess the door to this excellent credit union has been closed. How sad. 

Message 67 of 96
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are there any other orgs you can join to get in?    

Message 68 of 96
nolamike
Frequent Contributor

some companies like BEA and other government contractors can join directly, check the site for eligibilty.

otherwise you have to be on AD, A Reservist, Veteran, Govt Worker, family member, or a household member. All the info is on their site

You can check here

https://www.navyfederal.org/how-to-become-a-member/how-to-become-a-member.php

Starting Score: EQ 628 | TU 643 | EXP 618
Fico 8 12/22/16: EQ 658 | TU 682 | EXP 721
Next Goal:        700's across the board
Credit Karma:   EQ 554 | TU 551
CK 12/22/2016: EQ 637 | TU 637
Message 69 of 96
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately it doesn't look like Navy Fed gives you the option to join if you make a contribution to a charitable organization. Well, actually, joining the Navy League - San Diego could have been construed as doing exactly that, so I should probably add "anymore" to the previous sentence!

Message 70 of 96
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.