cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU Navy Fed no longer allowing new membership through Navy League of San Diego?

tag
NOLABelle
Established Member

Re: NFCU Navy Fed no longer allowing new membership through Navy League of San Diego?

@Anonymous wrote:

Just wanted to update...I called NFCU and I did qualify for membership. The rep asked which of my family members had served. I told her my grandfather, several uncles, my brother, and a nephew. She asked if my grandfather was still living (he isn't), what branch he was in, and if he was honorably discharged. She said I qualified based on my grandfather and immediately opened my account!

Thanks geedaisy! This was helpful. I applied and qualified today!

Message 91 of 96
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NFCU Navy Fed no longer allowing new membership through Navy League of San Diego?

@NOLABelle wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Just wanted to update...I called NFCU and I did qualify for membership. The rep asked which of my family members had served. I told her my grandfather, several uncles, my brother, and a nephew. She asked if my grandfather was still living (he isn't), what branch he was in, and if he was honorably discharged. She said I qualified based on my grandfather and immediately opened my account!

That is interesting I just missed Vietnman and serving by luck but my natural father  (died in accident in the 1960's)  served in the AF and was a direct report to Robert McNamara (Sec of Defense) my step father was a a Navy Flight Instructor in WWII he passed many years ago also .  I think I will give them a call on Wenesday. 

Message 92 of 96
NOLABelle
Established Member

@Anonymous wrote:

@NOLABelle wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

That is interesting I just missed Vietnman and serving by luck but my natural father  (died in accident in the 1960's)  served in the AF and was a direct report to Robert McNamara (Sec of Defense) my step father was a a Navy Flight Instructor in WWII he passed many years ago also .  I think I will give them a call on Wenesday. 

Yes Backwoods, you should. It was fairly simple. CS asked the same questions as geedaisy mentioned. I hung up with my access, savings account and checking account numbers. I haven't determined which card I want if any. I am simply preparing for a car loan. I need to find the post which suggests the best strategy for 2017, if any. 

Message 93 of 96
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Wow, that doesn't sound so bad. My Dad, now gone, was in Korea and I thought I would need some type of papers or numbers from his service time. Good to know. Thank you.

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 94 of 96
Aprile421
Regular Contributor

I just joined NFCU 2 weeks ago. I was ready for them to ask me a million questions and to give me a list of proof I would need to provide. 

Called told them I'd like to join and they asked me if I was affiliated with the military. I told them both my mother and father were in the Army and honorably discharged. They asked my social security number, name and address. Asked how I would like to fund my checking and savings account. Gave me my NFCU number and new account numbers. Had me make a login on on their website and poof done that was it! No proof needed, they did not even ask my parents name. I have been sitting here waiting for them to send me something saying I need to show proof or for them to shut my accounts down but so far nothing. Infact I have already gotten my debit card and 2 mailers to apply for their credit cards.

I was so under the impression they were very hard to get into that I had never tried until now. Now I wish I would have done it sooner.

Message 95 of 96
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got in this way and was in a branch yesterday talking about my finances and they didn't say anything to me about not being a member anymore so I agree once a member always a member but I better not ever close my accounts..not that I would want to 😉😀

Message 96 of 96
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.