Credit Card Center Advertiser Disclosure

Reply
Regular Contributor
Posts: 122
Registered: ‎03-18-2017
0 Kudos

Re: NFCU Navy Fed no longer allowing new membership through Navy League of San Diego?


Guyatthebeach wrote:

... This method was removed from NFCU by the NCUA not the credit union. ...


Could you please cite this?  I've seen more than one person make this claim, but no evidence whatsoever that this was the case.

 

It is clearly within the purview of a credit union to expand its own membership by a variety of methods, and one of those specifically cited by the NCUA as a standard method for expanding the field of membership is to merge with another credit union, and add their field of memberhsip to your own, which is precisely what NFCU did, AFAIK.

 


 

https://www.ncua.gov/services/Pages/field-of-membership-chartering.aspx

 

Field of Membership
The field of membership of a credit union is a part of its official charter, and is the legal definition of who is eligible to join the credit union. Credit unions often want to expand their field of membership to include additional potential members. A federal credit union’s field of membership can be expanded in the following ways: the field of membership of a credit union is a part of its official charter, and is the legal definition of who is eligible to join the credit union. Credit unions often want to expand their field of membership to include additional potential members. A federal credit union’s field of membership can be expanded in the following ways:

  • Occupational common bond expansion, including adding new or related trades, industries or professions;
  • Associational common bond expansion;
  • Multiple common bond expansion;
  • Underserved area expansion;
  • Converting to a community charter or expansion of an existing community charter; and
  • Taking in the field of membership of another credit union through a merger or purchase and assumption.

 

 


Established Contributor
Posts: 843
Registered: ‎09-04-2012

Re: NFCU Navy Fed no longer allowing new membership through Navy League of San Diego?

[ Edited ]

Glen_M,

 

I spent an hour checking on the screen shot I saved about my confirmation that NFCU was accepting NLUS-SSD members as members. NFCU confirmed it themselves last year, and I can't find it. Since their field of membership has changes, it's a mute point. Call NFCU if you want to confirm it straight from the source.

 

Guyatthebeach

New Member
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎05-22-2017

Re: NFCU Navy Fed no longer allowing new membership through Navy League of San Diego?

Just wanted to update...I called NFCU and I did qualify for membership. The rep asked which of my family members had served. I told her my grandfather, several uncles, my brother, and a nephew. She asked if my grandfather was still living (he isn't), what branch he was in, and if he was honorably discharged. She said I qualified based on my grandfather and immediately opened my account!

Regular Contributor
Posts: 117
Registered: ‎04-29-2016
0 Kudos

Re: NFCU Navy Fed no longer allowing new membership through Navy League of San Diego?


CreditInspired wrote:

Honestly, I was wondering when that hammer was going to fall. When I joined in 2002, you had to be related to an active military member.


 

Me too.  Back when we joined (late '80s) you had to be in the NAVY or Marine Corps...not just any military branch.  AND you had to apply while you were overseas.  We had to wait for my husband to be on WestPac before we could apply and join.

Regular Contributor
Posts: 138
Registered: ‎01-19-2009

Re: NFCU Navy Fed no longer allowing new membership through Navy League of San Diego?

Hi there You're Welcome, it's been awhile. I will be forever grateful to you and want to Thank you for helping so many of us. Guy at the Beach so glad you are still trying to help as well as Uncle B and mods. Many have posted that they are not surprised but for some reason I am, sad as well and not just for the people that didn't get in but for the NL San Diego Chapter, they were so proud of being a way in to NFCU. Thank you everyone that helped spread the word, you changed people's lives, I know it changed mine.

Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,675
Registered: ‎06-30-2016

Re: NFCU Navy Fed no longer allowing new membership through Navy League of San Diego?


Guyatthebeach wrote:

Glen_M,

 

I spent an hour checking on the screen shot I saved about my confirmation that NFCU was accepting NLUS-SSD members as members. NFCU confirmed it themselves last year, and I can't find it. Since their field of membership has changes, it's a mute point. Call NFCU if you want to confirm it straight from the source.

 

Guyatthebeach


The NCUA didn't change it. NFCU opted not to exercise their right to include members from the 2010 merger with USA Federal Credit Union. 

 

I am not surprised, as it has been a point of contention for at least a year, but most notably in December of 2016 when a number of financial tip sites started to promote it as the loophole for joining.


EX08 659 EQ08 660 TU08 695 Starting: mid 300'sGoal: 700
Established Contributor
Posts: 843
Registered: ‎09-04-2012

Re: NFCU Navy Fed no longer allowing new membership through Navy League of San Diego?


lowkeyorca wrote:

Guyatthebeach wrote:

Glen_M,

 

I spent an hour checking on the screen shot I saved about my confirmation that NFCU was accepting NLUS-SSD members as members. NFCU confirmed it themselves last year, and I can't find it. Since their field of membership has changes, it's a mute point. Call NFCU if you want to confirm it straight from the source.

 

Guyatthebeach


The NCUA didn't change it. NFCU opted not to exercise their right to include members from the 2010 merger with USA Federal Credit Union. 

 

I am not surprised, as it has been a point of contention for at least a year, but most notably in December of 2016 when a number of financial tip sites started to promote it as the loophole for joining.


Lowkeyorca,

 

I got my information directly from NFCU customer service and the branch manager from the branch I use regularly.

 

Regardless of who put a stop to it, the window of opportunity to join NFCU without a military background or working for the DOD is over.

 

I'm glad that NFCU is keeping my accounts open.

 

Guyatthebeach

Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,675
Registered: ‎06-30-2016

Re: NFCU Navy Fed no longer allowing new membership through Navy League of San Diego?

[ Edited ]

Guyatthebeach wrote:

lowkeyorca wrote:

Guyatthebeach wrote:

Glen_M,

 

I spent an hour checking on the screen shot I saved about my confirmation that NFCU was accepting NLUS-SSD members as members. NFCU confirmed it themselves last year, and I can't find it. Since their field of membership has changes, it's a mute point. Call NFCU if you want to confirm it straight from the source.

 

Guyatthebeach


The NCUA didn't change it. NFCU opted not to exercise their right to include members from the 2010 merger with USA Federal Credit Union. 

 

I am not surprised, as it has been a point of contention for at least a year, but most notably in December of 2016 when a number of financial tip sites started to promote it as the loophole for joining.


Lowkeyorca,

 

I got my information directly from NFCU customer service and the branch manager from the branch I use regularly.

 

Regardless of who put a stop to it, the window of opportunity to join NFCU without a military background or working for the DOD is over.

 

I'm glad that NFCU is keeping my accounts open.

 

Guyatthebeach


Part of USA Federal Credit Union's field of membership was NLUS-SD, and when NFCU absorbed them, they opted to keep their field of membership, per the NCUA guidelines. The NCUA still allows this, you can speak to them yourself, or read them.

 

It was NFCU's decision to opt out. They removed it from their charter 5/12/2017 at 1:30 PM EST, after a charter review. (Maybe you are confusing the NCUA for the board of directors?)

 

The NCUA was responsible for allowing honorably discharged veterans to join military-bonded credit unions, a change that was proposed in 2015, and enacted into the bylaws recently.

 

Here you can find the most recent updates to the NCUA bylaws; most proposals focused around expanding membership capabilities of credit unions: https://www.ncua.gov/regulation-supervision/Documents/Regulations/final-rule-chartering-field-member...

 

You are saying this is a moot point, but it's important not to spread incorrect information. 

 

Smiley Happy


EX08 659 EQ08 660 TU08 695 Starting: mid 300'sGoal: 700
Established Contributor
Posts: 843
Registered: ‎09-04-2012
0 Kudos

Re: NFCU Navy Fed no longer allowing new membership through Navy League of San Diego?

Lowkeyorca,

 

My information came straight from Navy Federal employees. 

 

This is not the first time USA Federal's field of membership became an issue for Navy Federal. Before USA Fed merged with Navy Federal, there were postings on the interest showing how to USA Fed through the Prime Meridian Association for $5.00 and then boom after October 2010, you were in NFCU.

 

The New York Times even talked about this in story in June 2010.

 

I hope CU's out there take a hard look at their membership requirements to allow everyone to join that is in their geographic region. CU's do things so much better than banks. IDuring my rebuilding phase, I had better luck with CU's than with banks.

 

Guyatthebeach

Established Contributor
Posts: 1,117
Registered: ‎02-07-2017
0 Kudos

Re: NFCU Navy Fed no longer allowing new membership through Navy League of San Diego?

Just as a general note, I'm planning to go to my local NFCU branch Saturday morning to see whether I can get in with my direct relatives (maternal grandfather, father, stepfather) having been servicemembers. Maybe I should advise them that I'm a longtime Penfed member due to my family service connections?

Rebuilding credit since 12/14 Ch7 BK discharge. FICO 8/15/17:TU 649/EX 684/EQ 677 FICO 8 or 693 NG 2, VS 3.0 8/15/17: TU 705/EX 684/EQ 701. $800 Amazon Prime Store Card, $951 Cap One secured Platinum MC, $1200 Walmart Store Card, $2000 Apple FCU Platinum Visa, $3000 Penfed Power Cash Rewards Visa, $3000 Cap One Quicksilver MC, $3300 Discover It, $4000 Overstock Store Card, $10k PenFed used car loan, $5k Navient student loan. In the garden as of 7/2/17 AND THIS TIME I REALLY MEAN IT!!! (unless I get a preapproval I can't refuse...)

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.