cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU - Now that you are in, are you using it??

tag
Chickenpotpie
Frequent Contributor

Re: NFCU - Now that you are in, are you using it??

I haven't done anything yet but I will very soon  once I can breathe a bit...lol  Smiley Happy  I got in because of who I work for, which is nice.  I really like that I will have mega access down here which I don't with Penfed.     I will also admit that through I've been with PenFed for a long time, last time I had to ask them for something I was suprised by the slippage in CS.  Never had to call twice for a wire transfer receipt and it could have been a disaster on my hands (was going through my mortgage at the time) if they could not produce the receipt in time.  According to what I've been reading here, they may have a lot of things they're going through so hope its only temporary.  

Message 11 of 20
Glkslngr
Frequent Contributor

Same issue with me, I'm afraid to make them my primary bank because of the horror stories. I have a checking, savings, CLOC, and CashRewards CC. I love that they direct deposit my federal wages a day earlier than Citi Bank, but that's not enough to take a risk at my accounts possibly being frozen in the future. 

Message 12 of 20
MontegoMack
Frequent Contributor

I've only been a member for a couple of weeks via NLSD, but I can tell you that already I'm breathing a sigh of relief now that I have a bit of a credit cushion.

I was approved for the Platinum. I did a PC from the cashRewards cc to get the lower rate because I wanted to do a balance trasfer. Not only did I do the balance transfer, but I did it with 2 cards that I have. It may not mean all that much to some, but now I have only one card with a balance, with a lower APR and only one payment to make. Sure, the balance may be a higher utilization than I'd like, but it beats having two other cards close to being maxed out in the eyes of FICO.

I haven't made the switch to make NFCU my main banking institution for a few reasons: I do fear having my accounts frozen, seemingly at random; I do make a number of bank transfers from my phone to other same bank customers (child care, hair dresser, etc.); and while I know differently now, I didn't think that spontaneously getting cash would be easy and would cost me more than it was worth (I don't have a NFCU branch nearby, but now I know that I do have PLENTY of Co-Op ATMs within a stone throw away).

Two of those reasons are still valid in my head and I can't make that leap just yet, but the services and opportunities that they've provided so far have made me feel so much better about the progress I've made in getting my credit in a better place. 

AmEx Platinum - AmEx BCP - Chase Freedom - NFCU Platinum - Chase Amazon Prime - Citi Costco - Citi Best Buy
Message 13 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Using it primarily for bragging rights at this point. And maybe down the line, I'll apply for a mortgage.
Message 14 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Besides that, they have nothing I want credit card wise or banking wise
Message 15 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can someone please tell me what horror stories NFCU has in their history. just curious to get some details. just joined them and now I hear this. Smiley Indifferent

Message 16 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I joined with the sole purpose of a big fat CL.  I wasn't really planning to use them for much else.  But now that I have been looking at their First Time Homebuyer program with zero down and no PMI...we are seriously looking at moving most of our banking their way so that we have an established relationship next year when we look to purchase.  That program has a higher interest rate, not surprisingly, but even the conventional 5% down doesn't have any PMI.  With a Jumbo loan in our future that is a big chunk of DTI to not worry about!

I joined NFCU last October purely to get in for this mortgage. I only have a savings and checking with them (that is not even used, only a couple of dollars in those accounts), and was able to use the Homebuyers Choice loan for first-timers with no problems. Zero down, no PMI, and the process was smooth. The only issues I had were with a realtor and had nothing to do with the bank itself. Also, if you use their realty plus program, they will give you a cash bonus after you close. The amount of bonus depends on sale price of house. I bought a super cheap fixer upper so I got the minimum bonus at $400... but hey, I'll take a free $400 any day! 

Message 17 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@darkfrosty wrote:
Been a member for almost two years and have checking and savings and cash rewards but don't use them. Might switch to them in the future but with all the horror stories it is hard to trust them

What kind of horror stories?  Smiley Surprised

Message 18 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am not going to search down, but its pretty much like being in the Navy. Any civilian slap on the wrist is way worse with nfcu. overdrafts late pays never  forgotten or forgiven.  A budget mistqke can CLD you even if your card is paid off and not used. If you are a good sailor the sky is the limit.

Message 19 of 20
Method2Madness
Regular Contributor

I've got checking/savings accounts, but am not actively using them. I do, however, use the CR Visa quite a bit (Gotta get that $3000 spend!)  and actually hit the CLOC today for a few bucks to make sure it works (it does). Im considering doing a pseudo-BT from my Synch cards over to the LOC. Would be a 10 point drop in interest. I generally dont carry a balance, but just bought a house that was a borderline fixer-upper and hit the Lowes and Ammy cards pretty hard.

Total Available Credit: $145,950   ||Feb 2018||EQ08-705||EX08-728||TU08-741||

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.