Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU and USAA

tag
Radjim
Established Member

NFCU and USAA

Hello All - Happy Thanksgiving!

I have lurked for a long time, but only posted a couple. I was hoping someone had some answers for me. I have been trying to join NFCU and USAA for quite some time now, but I seem to keep getting a run around. My father was Navy and did 3 tours in Nam. He passed away on 1977, so I do not know all the nuances of service or discharge time. After applying for each, both told me I am not eligible to join. USAA stated that my father did not have any accounts or policies with them, so I am not eligible. I explained to them what I saw on the TV commercials that is not what is stated, but they would not budge. I thought, screw them, I will just go with NFCU. Well after they denied me with his SSN, I called and spoke to them. They said I could get his DD-214 and they would look it over. I did that and got all three of them, plus his re-enlistment papers. I called once again and was told that the DD-214's need to say he was retired from the Navy. I am totally floored by this as none of them say "Retired". Once again, they say I am not eligible. How is it possible to be the son of a man that spent 14 years in the Navy, re-enlisting 3 separate times, all discharges being honorable, not warrant me eligibility in this credit union? 

I hope someone has an answer that can point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance!

Starting Score: 580
Current Score: TU 694 EQ 681
Goal Score: 725

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
ranger2992
Valued Member

Re: NFCU and USAA

Have you gone back to USAA with the DD 214s? If he had USAA insurance while he was in, then you are elligble. Here is the web link that tells you what is required.https://www.usaa.com/inet/pages/why_choose_usaa_main?wa_ref=pub_global_usaaandu

Message 2 of 21
Radjim
Established Member

ranger2992 wrote:

Have you gone back to USAA with the DD 214s? If he had USAA insurance while he was in, then you are elligble. Here is the web link that tells you what is required.https://www.usaa.com/inet/pages/why_choose_usaa_main?wa_ref=pub_global_usaaandu

I have not as they looked him up by his SSN. However, I keep seeing the commercials where it states "For military members and their families". The commercial does not state anything about needing to have previous products with them. Just ventng.....

Message 3 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Radjim wrote:

I have not as they looked him up by his SSN. However, I keep seeing the commercials where it states "For military members and their families". The commercial does not state anything about needing to have previous products with them. Just ventng.....

I'm pretty sure the current way to join is to be in the military or be the immediate family of a military enlisted or veteran. How I got my membership was I signed my husband up for an account (he's an Army vet) and then gave myself an account through his.

Is there any way to find out if he used USAA bank previously (besides them running his SSN)? Can you ask your mother maybe? Or do you have any siblings? Or does he have any living siblings?

Message 4 of 21
OdessaTX

I have worked for USAA and it really isnt all that great. They claim to care about the military but they really dont. All they care about is getting money from their "members" by any means neccesary. You are better off joining a local credit union than wasting your time trying to get a membership. Based on your situation I dont think that you will qualify for a membership

Message 5 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@OdessaTX wrote:

I have worked for USAA and it really isnt all that great. They claim to care about the military but they really dont. All they care about is getting money from their "members" by any means neccesary. You are better off joining a local credit union than wasting your time trying to get a membership. Based on your situation I dont think that you will qualify for a membership

That's unfortunate to hear. I've had accounts with them since June of this year and I haven't had any major problems. Just that they hold your posted credit card payment for a week whereas FNBO clears my available balance the very next day. Thanks for the information.

Message 6 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree that they are not great for banking, but they can't be beat for car insurance!
At least in my experiences.
Message 7 of 21
msbia
Established Contributor

OP I really hope that you can go back with the information provided and get resolution. I do not see why you would not qualify. If a representative is rude, hang up and call again. I have never experienced rudeness from one, but there usually are bad pennies everywhere. With that said, I LOVE USAA. I have been with them since 2011 and I have all of their products, credit cards, personal loan, life insurance, car insurance, auto financing, checking, savings, youth checking for my son, everything. Never had an issue. When i started my rebuild last year, they approved me for a secured card with 9.9% APR which is unheard of! Two months later, approved for unsecured card $7,000, refinanced my car that was at 26% to 7%. IMO USAA is great, so is NFCU. Again, I wish you much success!

Personal Credit? Check. Business Credit? Check.
Mission Accomplished.
Thanks MyFico!
Message 8 of 21
Radjim
Established Member

@Anonymous wrote:

@Radjim wrote:

I'm pretty sure the current way to join is to be in the military or be the immediate family of a military enlisted or veteran. How I got my membership was I signed my husband up for an account (he's an Army vet) and then gave myself an account through his.

Is there any way to find out if he used USAA bank previously (besides them running his SSN)? Can you ask your mother maybe? Or do you have any siblings? Or does he have any living siblings?

Both parents are deceased, so no way to find out if he had any USAA products. Also NFCU states that in order for me to be eligible, he would have had to retire Navy, but the DD-214's don't state that, just Honorable Discharge. He would have had the time in to retire Navy, so not sure why he would not have. Oh well, I will keep trying.

Thanks for all of your responses.

Message 9 of 21
OdessaTX

It really depends what tier you fall under for car insurance. There are 4-5 tiers, if you fall into the top tier the coverage and price on the insurance is excellent. If you are not in the top tier the insurance rates are so/so and you can do better by shopping around.

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.