Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU membership now w/o military affiliation

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

NFCU membership now w/o military affiliation

Feel like I missed the bus. I’ve read everywhere that NFCU is no longer accepting membership if you support the navy league of San Diego. Does anyone have any advice on this? PM me if need be
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NFCU membership now w/o military affiliation

That is correct. Unless you know a memeber that can get you in, or an "immediate" family member that served, then there is no way you can currently to join.

Message 2 of 12
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
Feel like I missed the bus. I’ve read everywhere that NFCU is no longer accepting membership if you support the navy league of San Diego. Does anyone have any advice on this? PM me if need be

No need for PMs... NFCU closed the Navy League loophole back in the early summer.  On a positive note, they have opened up their membership to all veterans (previously you had to have either joined while active duty or retired).

They allow you to inherit membership from relatives, though... if you have a parent/grandparent who served you might be eligible for membership through them.

Message 3 of 12
BurgeoningHope
Frequent Contributor

Do you know if that "inherited" membership is available to widows and other immediate family members if the veteran passed away before joining?

Message 4 of 12
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@BurgeoningHope wrote:

Do you know if that "inherited" membership is available to widows and other immediate family members if the veteran passed away before joining?

I believe so... give NFCU a call and they should be able to give you a definitive answer.

(It's notable that with USAA the answer would be 'no', which IMO is one area they (USAA) fall short.  I'm fairly confident NFCU doesn't have this restriction.)

Message 5 of 12
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

@BurgeoningHope wrote:

if there is a blood tie dead or alive you are good to go.  name, dob, last 4 of the ssn and service affiliation is what you will need.  they are super easy to deal with and they want people that want them.  good luck!

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I called them to join and explained that I had not served but my Father had. They never asked for any documentation to tie me to him and didn't even ask for his name. After requesting permission to pull credit she asked how I wanted to fund my savings account. I was like "That's it..... I'm approved?"  I couldn't believe how simple it was.  Ten minutes later I applied for a CLOC and was approved for the max of $15,000.00.

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@scuderia how long ago was that?
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rent a spare bedroom to someone with a Navy Fed account.

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pgarcia- I joined last week..

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.