Credit Card Center Advertiser Disclosure

Valued Member
0 Kudos

NFCU membership now w/o military affiliation

Feel like I missed the bus. I’ve read everywhere that NFCU is no longer accepting membership if you support the navy league of San Diego. Does anyone have any advice on this? PM me if need be
Contributor

Re: NFCU membership now w/o military affiliation

That is correct. Unless you know a memeber that can get you in, or an "immediate" family member that served, then there is no way you can currently to join.

Gardening till: Oct 1st 2019!
Huntington Voice 7.5k | Citi Costco 6.5k | Sync JCP 5k | Amex ED 3k | Sync Napa Car Care 2.5k | Chase Amazon 2.5k | Care Credit 2k | Amazon Store card 1.6k | Amex BC ED 1k | Cap 1 QS 1k | Discover .5k |

Pgarcia1212 wrote:
Feel like I missed the bus. I’ve read everywhere that NFCU is no longer accepting membership if you support the navy league of San Diego. Does anyone have any advice on this? PM me if need be

No need for PMs... NFCU closed the Navy League loophole back in the early summer.  On a positive note, they have opened up their membership to all veterans (previously you had to have either joined while active duty or retired).

They allow you to inherit membership from relatives, though... if you have a parent/grandparent who served you might be eligible for membership through them.

Regular Contributor
0 Kudos

Do you know if that "inherited" membership is available to widows and other immediate family members if the veteran passed away before joining?

0 Kudos

BurgeoningHope wrote:

Do you know if that "inherited" membership is available to widows and other immediate family members if the veteran passed away before joining?

I believe so... give NFCU a call and they should be able to give you a definitive answer.

(It's notable that with USAA the answer would be 'no', which IMO is one area they (USAA) fall short.  I'm fairly confident NFCU doesn't have this restriction.)

Established Contributor
0 Kudos

BurgeoningHope wrote:

if there is a blood tie dead or alive you are good to go.  name, dob, last 4 of the ssn and service affiliation is what you will need.  they are super easy to deal with and they want people that want them.  good luck!

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

I called them to join and explained that I had not served but my Father had. They never asked for any documentation to tie me to him and didn't even ask for his name. After requesting permission to pull credit she asked how I wanted to fund my savings account. I was like "That's it..... I'm approved?"  I couldn't believe how simple it was.  Ten minutes later I applied for a CLOC and was approved for the max of $15,000.00.

10/4/17 EQ-729 TU-746 EX-719 From $900 available credit to $99,200 in 9 months. It's been a fun ...
Valued Member
0 Kudos

@scuderia how long ago was that?
Valued Contributor
0 Kudos

Rent a spare bedroom to someone with a Navy Fed account.

FICO8 3/17 550EX, 570TU, 559EQ
FICO8 10/17 710EX, 693TU, 734EQ -- almost 700 club!
Gardening since Aug 7, 17
Regular Contributor
0 Kudos

Pgarcia- I joined last week..

10/4/17 EQ-729 TU-746 EX-719 From $900 available credit to $99,200 in 9 months. It's been a fun ...

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.