cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU membership now w/o military affiliation

New Contributor

NFCU membership now w/o military affiliation

Feel like I missed the bus. I’ve read everywhere that NFCU is no longer accepting membership if you support the navy league of San Diego. Does anyone have any advice on this? PM me if need be
11 REPLIES
Regular Contributor

Re: NFCU membership now w/o military affiliation

That is correct. Unless you know a memeber that can get you in, or an "immediate" family member that served, then there is no way you can currently to join.

Gardening till: Oct 1st 2019!
Huntington Voice 7.5k | Citi Costco 6.5k | Sync JCP 5k | Amex ED 3k | Sync Napa Car Care 2.5k | Chase Amazon 2.5k | Care Credit 2k | Amazon Store card 1.6k | Amex BC ED 1k | Cap 1 QS 1k | Discover .5k |
Message 2 of 12

Pgarcia1212 wrote:
Feel like I missed the bus. I’ve read everywhere that NFCU is no longer accepting membership if you support the navy league of San Diego. Does anyone have any advice on this? PM me if need be

No need for PMs... NFCU closed the Navy League loophole back in the early summer.  On a positive note, they have opened up their membership to all veterans (previously you had to have either joined while active duty or retired).

They allow you to inherit membership from relatives, though... if you have a parent/grandparent who served you might be eligible for membership through them.

Message 3 of 12
Frequent Contributor

Do you know if that "inherited" membership is available to widows and other immediate family members if the veteran passed away before joining?

TU Fico 8: 754!!!
Message 4 of 12

BurgeoningHope wrote:

Do you know if that "inherited" membership is available to widows and other immediate family members if the veteran passed away before joining?

I believe so... give NFCU a call and they should be able to give you a definitive answer.

(It's notable that with USAA the answer would be 'no', which IMO is one area they (USAA) fall short.  I'm fairly confident NFCU doesn't have this restriction.)

Message 5 of 12
Established Contributor

BurgeoningHope wrote:

if there is a blood tie dead or alive you are good to go.  name, dob, last 4 of the ssn and service affiliation is what you will need.  they are super easy to deal with and they want people that want them.  good luck!

Message 6 of 12
Regular Contributor

I called them to join and explained that I had not served but my Father had. They never asked for any documentation to tie me to him and didn't even ask for his name. After requesting permission to pull credit she asked how I wanted to fund my savings account. I was like "That's it..... I'm approved?"  I couldn't believe how simple it was.  Ten minutes later I applied for a CLOC and was approved for the max of $15,000.00.

10/4/17 EQ-725 TU-751 EX-724 From $900 available credit to $101,200 in 9 months. It's been a fun ...
Message 7 of 12
New Contributor

@scuderia how long ago was that?
Message 8 of 12
Valued Contributor

Rent a spare bedroom to someone with a Navy Fed account.

FICO8FICO8Visit my posts:
03/1712/17My 11 Rules to Credit RebuildingFree FICO Scores!
550EX
570TU
559EQ
710EX
701TU
734EQ
FICO alert: why did my credit score drop???
Message 9 of 12
Regular Contributor

Pgarcia- I joined last week..

10/4/17 EQ-725 TU-751 EX-724 From $900 available credit to $101,200 in 9 months. It's been a fun ...
Message 10 of 12