Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU through Navy League Time Line

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

NFCU through Navy League Time Line

Some data points to share for those of you who are applying or interested in applying to NFCU through the the Navy League. I am hoping others might take the time to add their stories. Thanks to everyone for their kind words of support and encouragement. Smiley Happy

Timeline for NFCU membership and final processing…
(I have looked at my calendar and emails and think all the dates are accurate.)

June 28 - Joined Navy League San Diego branch online and received the welcome email.

June 29  - Joined NFCU online while on chat telling the rep I was a member of the San Diego Navy League. Immediate acceptance. Apped for a credit card. Immediate approval.

June 30 - account access frozen with no email or other explanation. Calling I found out that I needed to fill out a fraud form. I was sent the form the same day I faxed it to the number I was given.

July 5 - Called NFCU asked if fax had been received. Was told they were unable to tell me. Card came via FedEd. (I had asked for quick shipping as our new mail person has delivered four packages from Amazon to someone else.)

July 6 - Called NFCU and explained about the fax and told the rep the fax number I had been given. She gave me a new fax number and said to use that one. She said I should hear something in 24-48 hours. I asked if anything else was needed and she said there was nothing else listed in my file. Faxed the document to NFCU using the new fax number I was given. Also included NLUS email.

July 9 - Called NFCU asking about the fax. Was told it would take longer than 24-48 hours and that I should not have been told that. No fax was found so I asked if I should fax again and was told yes. Re-faxed documents that day (Saturday). Was told it would take five to ten days to process.

July 12 - Called NFCU and asked if someone could just tell me if the fax was there and offered to re-fax. After a long hold I was told there was good news and not so good news. I asked for the not so good news and was told the department that processes the forms was still working on July 7 documents. So I asked was the good news that my fax was there. She told me she was not actually allowed to tell me that. (But she already did with the good news and not so good news comment, I thought.) Was told it would take the full ten days.

July 19 - Logged onto my NFCU account as I have been doing daily, even though I couldn’t view anything. Woweee!!! Complete access! I was able to call and have my card activated. All is well.

Explanatory Notes:
The personnel I spoke with were always courteous and helpful. The last person I spoke to went above and beyond to find out something for me. I was always courteous when speaking with them.

The account access was open after ten business days from the July 6 fax.

No one at any time asked me for the NLUS documents. I sent them anyway, but it was never requested.

In my original application I used my passport. That always seems to be a clear path when applying for anything. At least that has been my experience.

Why did this happen? After some serious thinking I really believe it was my recent change of address. About three months ago I changed my address with all my cards and credit bureaus. Even though I gave that previous address with my application, in my opinion that is one of their flags for possible fraud, thus I had to fill out the fraud form saying I was indeed the person who did the applying. The rest of the time was just the time it took to process everything.

All in all, it was painful, but I am happy to be a member of the NFCU! Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 73
72 REPLIES 72
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NFCU through Navy League Time Line

June 10 Joined Navy League

June 17th (late night on a Fri.) I emailed my application

June 20th (Monday afternoon) Got antsy and called to check if they received everything. Was told they were swamped and to give it a few days. CSR was very nice.

June 21st (Tue.)Received Welcome email

Registered for online access

Set up Ally bank ACH to fund account

Apped and instantly approved for Flagship Visa and CLOC

Later received Debit and credit card and activated both, received CLOC paperwork and returned by mail.

No problems whatsoever.

Message 2 of 73
ddemari
Super Contributor

Music Lover that is some story! At least at the end of the day they let you access you account again. 

My process was not complicated but I feel for you!

June 9, 2016 joined Navy league, printed out NFCU application and filled it out. 

June 10, 2016 sent NFCU my application via email along with navy league info and ID docments. 6 hours later I was approved for Share account, Cash Rewards Visa and CLOC. 

June 12, 2016 requested a CLI on my cash rewards visa and the limit went from $3,300 to $23,300.00 and the apr dropped a tad bit from 15.9% to 14.9%.

Navy spelt my last name wrong, so I had to fill out a change of name form which I did immediately and sent it to the proper department. Within 2 days they fixed everything and express sent out replacement cards. 

Message 3 of 73
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

Here's my timeline:

June 3: Joined the Navy League. After I got the email and tried to join NFCU, I decided to go to the branch  from a conversation with NFCU's customer service.

June 4: Joined Navy Federal in a branch and opened a checking and savings account. I was also approved for a CLOC and cash rewards Visa.

i log in everyday to check to see if my accounts get frozen. So far no complaints.

My advice to everyone is join in the branch, bring everything you would need for verification and bring cash to fund those accounts.

I'm thankful that I was able to join Navy Federal. I hope everyone joins. Remember to support Navy League, super awesome organization!

Guyatthebeach

Message 4 of 73
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Guyatthebeach wrote:

Here's my timeline:

June 3: Joined the Navy League. After I got the email and tried to join NFCU, I decided to go to the branch  from a conversation with NFCU's customer service.

June 4: Joined Navy Federal in a branch and opened a checking and savings account. I was also approved for a CLOC and cash rewards Visa.

i log in everyday to check to see if my accounts get frozen. So far no complaints.

My advice to everyone is join in the branch, bring everything you would need for verification and bring cash to fund those accounts.

I'm thankful that I was able to join Navy Federal. I hope everyone joins. Remember to support Navy League, super awesome organization!

Guyatthebeach

I agree, Guyatthe beach. I plan on donating every year. 

Message 5 of 73
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks to everyone for their timelines (story). Very interesting stuff!

Message 6 of 73
Kidcat
Established Contributor

Thanks for the update ML.  Glad it worked out.  

I think you are right about the address change.  I wonder if that could be a date point for NFCU and other creditors freezing accounts!

Last app 09/21/2021. Gardening Goal Oct 2023
Message 7 of 73
Kidcat
Established Contributor

@Guyatthebeach wrote:

Here's my timeline:

Guyatthebeach

Wonderful sentiment.  I received my packet, and plan to renew my membership every year.

Last app 09/21/2021. Gardening Goal Oct 2023
Message 8 of 73
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

@Kidcat wrote:

Thanks for the update ML.  Glad it worked out.  

I think you are right about the address change.  I wonder if that could be a date point for NFCU and other creditors freezing accounts!

I don't know how simple it is with the other (2) CRA's but if you go online with Equifax Dispute you might be better served and avoid any future pitfalls by disputing ALL of your old addresses.

They deleted all my former addresses in a single day just by using the EQ Online Dispute.

Next up for me is TransUnion.

It's critical IMHO to do this just in case any of your other former/current cardholders happen to send sensitive personal offers or anything other to an address that is still listed on your credit reports.

Message 9 of 73
kobe2012
Established Contributor

June 29th: Read here that I can join NFCU through NLUS. Signed up same day through San Diego council and emailed NFCU application, included NLUS welcome email as    

well as DL and SSN

June 30th: Called them and asked if application was received. Was told to call back the next day cause it usually takes 24 to 48 hours to process

July 1st: Called again and asked if application was received. They said nothing shows on the system and they are backed up...so just call back 

July 5th: Called again and asked if application was received. Still nothing on the system and try again tomorrow.

July 6th: Still nothing

July 7th: Agent had to call membership to check if they got my application. They looked it up by my email and they said they did get it. One hour later i got an email stating they do not accept electronic signature and to resubmit application

July 7th: I faxed a paper application, including NLUS welcome email copy

July 8th: I called to check if they received the fax. Person said it takes 3 to 5 business days to process

July 9th: I called to check if they recevied the fax (that's really all i wanted to know). They said they scan faxes once received. Nothing shows up under my SSN so they probably havent scanned them yet.

July 10th: I sent a facebook message through their page (in the evening). Got a response within an hour and asked me to email them my contact info 

July 11th: NFCU supervisor called me in the morning saying they did get the fax and I should have my membership account opened in the next couple of days. That she will check back with me on the 13th

July 12th: Of course I still didnt think they got my fax so I called and asked. The lady said there's really no way of  knowing if they received faxes as they were way behind (faxes were prolly stacked up/all over the place). Advised me to email my application again (fastest way)

July 13th: The supervisor called me in the morning stating I got my account opened! 

I still think they have used my email application to process. I included everything on that email to prevent delays (paystubs, DL, SSN, NLUS email)

Took me two weeks but it was worth the wait!!!! 

Starting Score: MYFICO 12/30/15 -TU: 481, EQ:561, EX:532 - BK7 DISCHARGED 12/2015 - Current: 09/01/2016 TU:642 EQ: 651 EX: 646
NFCU cashRewards:$6200 QS:$1500 Merrick:$1200 Cabelas:$1000 SonyVisa: $500 JCrew:$850 Overstock:$850 Express: $1050 PaypalCredit:$2150 NAVCHECK:$10K
Message 10 of 73
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.