cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU to Accept Honorably Discharged and not Just Retired?

tag
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

Re: NFCU to Accept Honorably Discharged and not Just Retired?

@gamegrrl wrote:

My BFF chatted online with a NFCU rep the other day, and was told that starting "next month" (don't know if that would be Feb or March) "they will be accepting honorable discharges as acceptable sponsors."

Did she misunderstand them, or is this true? Anyone heard anything about this?

This is true. I asked about it when I called in for something on my IRA account. The CS agent said, it should go into effect at the end of the month.

I'm glad to see Navy Federal let vets and honorable discharged Americans into the CU.

Message 11 of 23
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Just FYI this has gone live... their website as well as TV commercials have been updated to reflect that honorably discharged vets are now eligible for membership as well!  Smiley Very Happy

NFCUalsoVets.png

Message 12 of 23
FroggieMom
Regular Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

Just FYI this has gone live... their website as well as TV commercials have been updated to reflect that honorably discharged vets are now eligible for membership as well!  Smiley Very Happy

NFCUalsoVets.png

This is AWESOME news!!  Hubby is a honorably discharged disabled vet and we always thought it sucked he didn't qualify because an injury caused him to be medically unfit.  I will be getting the family signed up ASAP!  They are kinda HP crazy though right?  Which CRA?

Summer 2018 FICO 8 scores~
Gardening until 2019....at least
Message 13 of 23
JLK93
Established Contributor

@FroggieMom wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

This is AWESOME news!!  Hubby is a honorably discharged disabled vet and we always thought it sucked he didn't qualify because an injury caused him to be medically unfit.  I will be getting the family signed up ASAP!  They are kinda HP crazy though right?  Which CRA?

They pull TU for membership. They pulled TU for my credit card app. For the majority of people, they probably pull EQ for credit apps. YMMV.

Message 14 of 23
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@FroggieMom wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

NFCUalsoVets.png

They'll pull TU for membership, and (usually) TU for new credit cards (although my own in 2015 was EQ). 

They pull EQ exclusively for CLOC, though, at least at this time.  Note that for credit card CLIs they can (and have) pulled any of the three if their preferred isn't available - even EX, although it's rare.

They also pull for each and every product, even if you get them in the same day... IMO they are worth it, though.  Smiley Happy

Message 15 of 23
baller4life
Super Contributor

This is fabulous news!!!! Yay for Navy Fed FINALLY doing the right thing and accepting honorably discharged vets as well! GREAT GREAT NEWS!!! Smiley Tongue
Message 16 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Excitement! As an Honorably Discharged Veteran I have not been able to obtain Navy Federal Credit Union access. Also Pen Fed is a challenge. This means the doors open ... yesSmiley Happy Always bothered me that we could go off to war serve our country in the Foreign Service as a member of the US Army Special Forces but, not good enough to join NFCU or Pen Fed?! Actually, it has left a bitter taste!
Message 17 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for this thread as I had no idea. Myficoer's do it again and come through!!!
Message 18 of 23
baller4life
Super Contributor

@Anonymous Penfed has always been open to everyone. All you have to do is donate to one of the organizations listed on their site. Smiley Wink
Message 19 of 23
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

@baller4life wrote:
@Anonymous Penfed has always been open to everyone. All you have to do is donate to one of the organizations listed on their site. Smiley Wink

Some people for personal reasons, myself included, have chosen NOT to donate to certain organizations, and as a result, we're NOT eligible.  

However, I come from a very long line of military family. I personally don't have a military affiliation. But with this new eligibility benchmark, my father can now join, and as an extension, I can finally join.  

This truly is GREAT NEWS!!

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.