cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU to Accept Honorably Discharged and not Just Retired?

tag
gamegrrl
Frequent Contributor

NFCU to Accept Honorably Discharged and not Just Retired?

My BFF chatted online with a NFCU rep the other day, and was told that starting "next month" (don't know if that would be Feb or March) "they will be accepting honorable discharges as acceptable sponsors."

Did she misunderstand them, or is this true? Anyone heard anything about this?

EX myFICO 850 - EQ myFICO 850 - TU myFICO 850
Goal Score: 800+ across the board! *DONE!!!*
Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
gamegrrl
Frequent Contributor

Re: NFCU to Accept Honorably Discharged and not Just Retired?

I decided to chat with them today, and here is their response:

That's mostly correct. Currently, being a veteran in and of itself is not in our field of membership, but regulators recently approved a plan to provide more people access to credit unions early this year, including veterans. However, we don't have a confirmed date yet. We'll be sure to let you know once we do!

Message 2 of 23
gamegrrl
Frequent Contributor

https://www.nafcu.org/fom/

Read under "Multiple Common Bond". It really does appear that this will open up membership to veterans, unless I'm reading it wrong.

Message 3 of 23
JLK93
Established Contributor

According to the CSR I spoke to, as of February 6th, all honorably discharged vererans are eligible for membership in NFCU.

Message 4 of 23
JLK93
Established Contributor

Thee are new rules governing the field of membership of credit unions. The fules allowing membership for all honorably discharged veterans were apparently written by NFCU and PenFed.

http://creditunionwatch.blogspot.com/2015/12/proposal-would-allow-193-million-vets.html

http://nafcucomplianceblog.typepad.com/nafcu_weblog/field_of_membership/

Message 5 of 23
gamegrrl
Frequent Contributor

This is HUGE news! I am surprised I couldn't find a thread on this topic when I searched.

Does anyone know if the same familial rules will apply regarding honorably discharged veterans? My friend's father was honorably discharged, and she is hoping she can become an NFCU member. That's how our conversation started.

Message 6 of 23
JLK93
Established Contributor

@gamegrrl wrote:

This is HUGE news! I am surprised I couldn't find a thread on this topic when I searched.

Does anyone know if the same familial rules will apply regarding honorably discharged veterans? My friend's father was honorably discharged, and she is hoping she can become an NFCU member. That's how our conversation started.

Yes, the CSR told me that families of veterans are eligible. I think you friend's father would need to join first.

Message 7 of 23
gamegrrl
Frequent Contributor

He passed away years ago. I hope she can still join.

Message 8 of 23
JLK93
Established Contributor

@gamegrrl wrote:

He passed away years ago. I hope she can still join.

I'm sure others will have more knowledge on this. If she can't join through her father, she can still join through San Diego Navy League.

Message 9 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Everyone who applies must have a sponsor ( unless applying through Navy League) , and it does not seem that a deceased person would qualify as a sponsor.
Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.