Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

NFCU

Hi guys-

I've been rebuilding for a while now and have gotten my scores decent - EQ 714/TU 742/EX 731. I just got a Cap One MC in March CL 3k, a Discover It last month CL 9500, and an Amex Everyday last month CL 2k. I've been reading on here about how fantastic NFCU is and that they will give huge CL. Has anyone recently joined using the San Diego Navy League method?  I am not eligible to join as I'm not a vet nor have any family that I want to ask, and wondered if that would still work as it has in the past for some of the posters on here. Any thoughts or direction would be appreciated!

Thanks

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
AllCredit
Frequent Contributor

Re: NFCU

Many posted on here that as of 5/12/17 they are no longer approving apps through the Navy League...

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi guys-

I've been rebuilding for a while now and have gotten my scores decent - EQ 714/TU 742/EX 731. I just got a Cap One MC in March CL 3k, a Discover It last month CL 9500, and an Amex Everyday last month CL 2k. I've been reading on here about how fantastic NFCU is and that they will give huge CL. Has anyone recently joined using the San Diego Navy League method?  I am not eligible to join as I'm not a vet nor have any family that I want to ask, and wondered if that would still work as it has in the past for some of the posters on here. Any thoughts or direction would be appreciated!

Thanks

As AllCredit stated, the NLUS San Diego Council is no longer within NFCU's field of membership as of 12 May 2017. 

It sounds like you are doing great even without NFCU though. $3K on Capital One and $9500 on Discover is very commendable. Hopefully you will be able to get a 3X CLI from Amex soon. You may also want to look into PenFed. PenFed is not as popular to rebuilders, but with your score you may be able to get a decent starting limit. 

Message 3 of 9
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi guys-

Thanks

Gsogirl,

It is true you can't join Navy Federal with a Navy League membership anymore.

To be honest you don't need to join NFCU. With scores like yours listed, you should be able to get some decent credit from PENFED and some other good credit unions.

Guyatthebeach

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for confirming that NFCU is a no-go at this time. I'm wondering though, if I should lay low and garden for a while? Cap One hard pulled all three bureaus in March, Discover pulled EQ in April, and Amex pulled EX in April. I only have one other inquiry, which was a pull on EX in June of 2016 for a personal loan from my bank. Didn't know if I should wait for a while before apping for anything again. I'll be able to hit up Amex for a 3x increase around the end of June, so I thought I would try that as well. I'd started out this process with a $300 secured MC back in 2015, so these 3 new cards are the first real credit cards with decent limits that I've had. I'm wondering if I should use the cards, pay on time, and garden?
Message 5 of 9
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

I personally would hold off any new credit for atleast 6 months. I would try the 3x CLI on your Amex on day 61 and the hit the CLI button in 6 months on your Cap1.

You really are in a golden spot on your credit.

Guyatthebeach

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Guyatthebeach - thanks so much for your input and advice. It's been a long rebuilding road, but it is finally becoming worth it! Your encouragement really helps.
Message 7 of 9
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

I have been rebuilding my credit for over 5 years since my bankruptcy. All the hard work and discipline paid off the day I got approved for my AmEx.

I didn't join NFCU and started getting big CL's until last year.

Just keep in doing what your doing!
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Guyatthebeach wrote:
I have been rebuilding my credit for over 5 years since my bankruptcy. All the hard work and discipline paid off the day I got approved for my AmEx.

I didn't join NFCU and started getting big CL's until last year.

Just keep in doing what your doing!

Good advice. Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.