Credit Mentor

Re: NLUS San Diego alive and well

@Anonymous wrote:

NFCU PLOC = EQ hard pull and some people have also been doubled pulled EQ/TU

NFCU CC = TU hard pull

NFCU CC CLI = EQ hard/soft pull

NFCU membership = TU hard pull

+1

I'll also add that this changes from time to time, and we only know when it changes after it happens and somebody mentions it.

Most people are now reporting TU for a new credit card, but mine was EQ just last fall. 

The only thing I would say is a 'constant' (at least so far) is that membership seems to always be TU (with sometimes SP on EQ for identity).

Message 691 of 1,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Creditluv and UncleB ... Which credit card should I apply for if I want high credit limit with my credit score TU 695 .. no negatives ..AAOA 2 years 4 months ....Utilization 33% ... payed down closed accounts but they take some time to reflect on report ....once they refelct, the utilization should go down to less than 20% .... one credit inquiries in last 12 months and that was for NFCU membership today... Thanks again.

Message 692 of 1,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

or should I apply for Penfed as they use single HP on EQ for 90 days for everything ? but EQ FICO 8 credit score is just 667 ...Thanks again

Message 693 of 1,187
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you Creditluv and UncleB ... Which credit card should I apply for if I want high credit limit with my credit score TU 695 .. no negatives ..AAOA 2 years 4 months ....Utilization 33% ... payed down closed accounts but they take some time to reflect on report ....once they refelct, the utilization should go down to less than 20% .... one credit inquiries in last 12 months and that was for NFCU membership today... Thanks again.

The limits should be fairly similar... I do know that the top limit on the Flagship card is higher than the others... but unless you're looking for a card to go over $50k that likely won't matter.

If it were me (and when it was me) I took a look at their cards and decided which benefits I wanted the most.  Since I already have plenty of cash back cards to cover most any category, I chose their Platinum MasterCard (also comes as Visa - you can select on the app) since it has the lowest APR. 

Some people have speculated that the Flagship card might have a higher starting credit line, but I personally don't think there is much to this.  Navy will let you change from one account type to another nearly at will (I think limited to once a month?), so it woudn't make sense for them to give a higher SL on one particular product, knowing that you could simply change it the next month anyway.

All NFCU credit cards can grow equally as fast... my own card was approved at $15.3k and is now at $20k (where I'm happy for it to stay), so that's not a consideration either.

I will say that while you can likely get approved now, you might consider holding off until your correct utilization is updated to the credit bureaus to maximize your chances of getting the best terms.  Then again, they do grow fast, and they will even consider you for a lower APR after 12 months, so knowing this you might want to take the HP now rather than wait.  There are benefits to either path.

Good luck whatever you decide!

Message 694 of 1,187
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

or should I apply for Penfed as they use single HP on EQ for 90 days for everything ? but EQ FICO 8 credit score is just 667 ...Thanks again

There are benefits to both, but since this thread is regarding joining NFCU using Navy League (NLUS) as a path I ask that if you want any further specific information on specific NFCU cards or PenFed to start a new thread over in 'Credit Cards'. 

On that sub-forum people who have accounts with both credit unions will be better able to explain and discuss the differences and benefits of each.

I don't want to take this thread any more off-topic than we already have.  Thanks for understanding!  Smiley Wink

Message 695 of 1,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB ..wow ..Thanks for quick response ... I am new to this forum ... Sorry for going off-topic .. I wil start a new thread Smiley Happy .. Thanks a lot 

Message 696 of 1,187
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@UncleB ..wow ..Thanks for quick response ... I am new to this forum ... Sorry for going off-topic .. I wil start a new thread Smiley Happy .. Thanks a lot 

No worries... welcome aboard!  wavey_zps81xnuobx.gif

If you have any questions feel free to send me a PM.  Smiley Happy

Message 697 of 1,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SamJam

PenFed MAX CC limit is $50K. 1 card = $50K limit or 2 cards that = $50K total limit

NFCU MAX CC limit for Flagship = $80K 

NFCU MAX CC limit any other CC = $50K x 2 = $100K

= $180K MAX unsecured credit card limits with NFCU

P.S. Don't apply for a PenFed or NFCU credit card until both your EQ and TU reports show UNDER 20% UTI.

Message 698 of 1,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

IF you fax in the info.. how do you do the initial deposit?

Message 699 of 1,187
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

IF you fax in the info.. how do you do the initial deposit?

You can pay it after the fact; many people have called them after approval and funded the $5 with a debit card.

Message 700 of 1,187
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.