Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NLUS San Diego alive and well

tag
mysterythemoon
Regular Contributor

Re: NLUS San Diego alive and well

I never received my welcome email from the SD chapter. I have no clue what my NL member number is. I just received the generic email from the national president of the NL. That's what I printed and sent over. Just where it specified I paid 25 bucks and requested San Diego. Once I called NFCU they couldn't have been nicer.
Started on July 4th, 2016 with 400's FAKO scores, no FICO, a dozen baddies and no credit of any kind.

As of March 2018, Before The Fall:
AmEx Blue Cash Everyday: $12,600
Chase Sapphire Preferred: $10,000
Bank Of America BankAmericard: $6,000
Capital One Quicksilver One: $5,500
Citi Diamond Preferred: $5,400
NFCU Cash Rewards Visa Signature: $5,100
NFCU Go Rewards MasterCard World: $5,000
Wells Fargo Propel: $3,500
Barclay's Uber Visa: $2,500
AmEx Starwood Preferred Guest: $2,000
Citi Double Cash: $1,500
AmEx Hilton Honors: $1,000
Discover It: $600
Capital One Platinum: $500

TOTAL 2018 CREDIT LINE: $61,200

JUNE 2023 UPDATE
2020: COVID toppled me. All old accounts went into default. Business lost. Car repossessed.
2021: Cap1 let me back in (one secured/two not). Secured Mission Lane. AU on AMEX Gold, Citi Premier and Chase Sapphire. Car loan approved without cosigner for $20,000. All current.
Currently: No lawsuits. Thinking most SOL have expired on CC debt. Fingers crossed my math and memory are correct.

CURRENT SITUATION:
Mission Lane Secured: $3,400 (SL $400 -- unasked for CLI)
Capital One Secured: $300
Capital One QS1: $300
Capital One Savor: $1,000
Chase Sapphire Preferred: $10,000 (AU)
AMEX Gold: No Preset Limit (AU)
Citi Premier: $8,500 (AU)

SPRING 2026
ALL BADDIES DROP
Message 861 of 1,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mysterythemoon wrote:
I never received my welcome email from the SD chapter. I have no clue what my NL member number is. I just received the generic email from the national president of the NL. That's what I printed and sent over. Just where it specified I paid 25 bucks and requested San Diego. Once I called NFCU they couldn't have been nicer.

I still haven't gotten my welcome email from SD Chapter. I'm still waiting. I got that generic welcome email message from the president, but it did have my member number. To give myself some peace of mind, I called the Navy League today and asked the rep which council I was placed in. 

Message 862 of 1,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@mysterythemoon wrote:

My update: Joined Navy League Monday night. Got the automatic email from them showing I specified San Diego. Filled out the application by hand, scanned it, my ID and passport, and my Navy Lague info, and emailed it to membershipdocs@navyfederal.org on Tuesday evening. Called Navy Federal today (Thursday morning). They found the email and opened my account right there on the spot. Pulled TU. What a day!

This is so sad. I applied to the SD chapter and have yet to receive an email. I did this on 11-11 and only have the main welcome email from the NL with my member ID#. I've even email them a couple of days ago and have yet to hear back. This is so frustrating. I'm thinking about just redoing it and paying another $25 just to see if that works.

Did you save the confirmation/receipt after you joined the Navy League? That at least shows SD as the preferred council. Some of us used that to apply. If not, just use that welcome email with the member ID number.  Hopefully that'll work for NFCU. Call the Navy League and confirm that they did put you in SD. Doesn't hurt to start the NFCU membership app. Good luck!

Message 863 of 1,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello everyone! Thanks for this thread. It's very helpful, but I have a few questions I'm hoping some of you who know a lot about this could help me answer:

1. This is completely legit? I would love to join NFCU but I do not want to do anything that is sneaky or wrong at all. From what I have read, they totally endorse this method and there's nothing wrong with it. This is true?

2. Once I become a member, do I have access to ALL of the NFCU products? I am not interested in the credit cards...I'd like to join because the mortgage and auto loans seem like a great deal, especially the 0-5% down jumbo mortgage loans. I have not been able to find low downpayment jumbo loans anywhere else. Has anyone who has used the San Diego Navy League method tried applying for this other products and received them? Or is this only for a limited membership just for checking and credit cards?

3. Are NFCU's mortgage products better than PenFed? It seems I can join PenFed too, but it seems the jumbo loans there might require higher downpayments. Is this correct? NFCU mortgages, from what I've seen, seem to be the best available if you need a low downpayment jumbo with no PMI.

Thanks!

Message 864 of 1,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@mysterythemoon wrote:

My update: Joined Navy League Monday night. Got the automatic email from them showing I specified San Diego. Filled out the application by hand, scanned it, my ID and passport, and my Navy Lague info, and emailed it to membershipdocs@navyfederal.org on Tuesday evening. Called Navy Federal today (Thursday morning). They found the email and opened my account right there on the spot. Pulled TU. What a day!

This is so sad. I applied to the SD chapter and have yet to receive an email. I did this on 11-11 and only have the main welcome email from the NL with my member ID#. I've even email them a couple of days ago and have yet to hear back. This is so frustrating. I'm thinking about just redoing it and paying another $25 just to see if that works.

Did you save the confirmation/receipt after you joined the Navy League? That at least shows SD as the preferred council. Some of us used that to apply. If not, just use that welcome email with the member ID number.  Hopefully that'll work for NFCU. Call the Navy League and confirm that they did put you in SD. Doesn't hurt to start the NFCU membership app. Good luck!

I didn't save the confirmation/receipt like a dumbass. I'm usually really good at saving records but for something reason didn't this time. I did send in the app with everything and they keep asking for the specific SD council confirmation even though I had the welcome from the NLUS. I'm going to try and get it worked out on Monday. 

Message 865 of 1,187
mysterythemoon
Regular Contributor

I join in less than 48 hours after joining NLSD. The generic welcome letter which shows you paid $25 as well as your intent on specifying San Diego for your concil SHOULD give you the green light once you call and have them pull up your email. 

Started on July 4th, 2016 with 400's FAKO scores, no FICO, a dozen baddies and no credit of any kind.

As of March 2018, Before The Fall:
AmEx Blue Cash Everyday: $12,600
Chase Sapphire Preferred: $10,000
Bank Of America BankAmericard: $6,000
Capital One Quicksilver One: $5,500
Citi Diamond Preferred: $5,400
NFCU Cash Rewards Visa Signature: $5,100
NFCU Go Rewards MasterCard World: $5,000
Wells Fargo Propel: $3,500
Barclay's Uber Visa: $2,500
AmEx Starwood Preferred Guest: $2,000
Citi Double Cash: $1,500
AmEx Hilton Honors: $1,000
Discover It: $600
Capital One Platinum: $500

TOTAL 2018 CREDIT LINE: $61,200

JUNE 2023 UPDATE
2020: COVID toppled me. All old accounts went into default. Business lost. Car repossessed.
2021: Cap1 let me back in (one secured/two not). Secured Mission Lane. AU on AMEX Gold, Citi Premier and Chase Sapphire. Car loan approved without cosigner for $20,000. All current.
Currently: No lawsuits. Thinking most SOL have expired on CC debt. Fingers crossed my math and memory are correct.

CURRENT SITUATION:
Mission Lane Secured: $3,400 (SL $400 -- unasked for CLI)
Capital One Secured: $300
Capital One QS1: $300
Capital One Savor: $1,000
Chase Sapphire Preferred: $10,000 (AU)
AMEX Gold: No Preset Limit (AU)
Citi Premier: $8,500 (AU)

SPRING 2026
ALL BADDIES DROP
Message 866 of 1,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello everyone! Thanks for this thread. It's very helpful, but I have a few questions I'm hoping some of you who know a lot about this could help me answer:

1. This is completely legit? I would love to join NFCU but I do not want to do anything that is sneaky or wrong at all. From what I have read, they totally endorse this method and there's nothing wrong with it. This is true?

2. Once I become a member, do I have access to ALL of the NFCU products? I am not interested in the credit cards...I'd like to join because the mortgage and auto loans seem like a great deal, especially the 0-5% down jumbo mortgage loans. I have not been able to find low downpayment jumbo loans anywhere else. Has anyone who has used the San Diego Navy League method tried applying for this other products and received them? Or is this only for a limited membership just for checking and credit cards?

3. Are NFCU's mortgage products better than PenFed? It seems I can join PenFed too, but it seems the jumbo loans there might require higher downpayments. Is this correct? NFCU mortgages, from what I've seen, seem to be the best available if you need a low downpayment jumbo with no PMI.

Thanks!

Welcome to the Forums! - answers incoming:

1. On a sketchiness scale of 0 to 10, where 0 is "completely OK without question", and 10 is "if you hid the body well enough you'll be OK", I would place this somewhere between 0.5 and 1.  NFCU will never endorse this method because it falls outside their primary field of membership (Active duty military and DoD), however they are legally barred from objecting to it because it was specified as a condition of their merger with USA Federal.  Once you get past the initial hurdles of applying on paper and sending verification docs 1-4 times, you're treated like any other member.

2. You have access to all products.  The reason you see most folks talking about CC apps, is because that is where most of us start to establish our credit and our relationship with an institution.  The mortgage and auto loans will come, just give it time.

3. I can't speak to Penfed's products because I haven't joined Penfed (yet).  However from what I have read, NFCU and Penfed seem to have an informal rivalry of sorts so it's likely that if an NFCU or Penfed LO sees the other on your reports, they'll adopt a "We can beat them" attitude.  YMMV, of course.

Good Luck!

Message 867 of 1,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is still working from what I can tell, I just talked with a MSR to check on my application status and she stated that anyone joining by using the Navy League for eligibility that thier application will take longer to process since they are recieving so many of them! Current wait time is 5 buisness days.

Message 868 of 1,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

This is still working from what I can tell, I just talked with a MSR to check on my application status and she stated that anyone joining by using the Navy League for eligibility that thier application will take longer to process since they are recieving so many of them! Current wait time is 5 buisness days.

It all depends on the MSR you get a hold of when you call to check on the status. Some members call in after two days and the MSR pushed their application through. I'd probably still be waiting on them if I wasn't persistent and kept calling. Good luck!

Message 869 of 1,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

did you call the toll free number or an actual branch? I called the toll free number.

Message 870 of 1,187
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.