Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NLUS San Diego alive and well

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NLUS San Diego alive and well

@Anonymous wrote:
What is AR, and what does this time period do for us?

AR = Account Review.  Every creditor occasionally does account reviews, wherein they soft-pull a copy of your credit report so they can see how you've been doing with your other accounts.   The unique thing about Navy is that they do so on a highly predictable schedule:

Navy AR occurs in the first week of:

Jan

Mar

May

Jul

Sep

Nov

The advantage of knowing this comes in when the goal is to obtain a credit line increase without (if possible) incurring a hard pull of your credit report.  So timing your CLI application to when they've just gotten a fresh copy of your report helps to minimize the chances of your request triggering an inquiry.

Message 1041 of 1,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

So, I should request a CLI anytime during the first week of March, for example?
Message 1042 of 1,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
So, I should request a CLI anytime during the first week of March, for example?

AR occurs DURING the first week - the exact date does vary based on weekend days, holiudays, etc. - best practice is to either check your full credit report from annualcreditreport.com to see if there has been a soft pull (impractical because you only get 1 per year), or wait until wekk 2 and/or you start seeing a bunch of 'Navy AR' and 'Navy SP CLI' posts appearing on these boards.  You can trust that will happen very early in the cycle  Smiley Wink

as to whether you should...That depends on whether it has been a full 90 days from account opening, whether your profile supports a higher limit, and whether anything has changed significantly since the last time you asked.  Like everything else credit related, it's pure YMMV

Good Luck!

Message 1043 of 1,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great information, thank you!! 😃
Message 1044 of 1,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

AR = Account Review.  Every creditor occasionally does account reviews, wherein they soft-pull a copy of your credit report so they can see how you've been doing with your other accounts.   The unique thing about Navy is that they do so on a highly predictable schedule:

Jan

Mar

May

Jul

Sep

Nov

The advantage of knowing this comes in when the goal is to obtain a credit line increase without (if possible) incurring a hard pull of your credit report.  So timing your CLI application to when they've just gotten a fresh copy of your report helps to minimize the chances of your request triggering an inquiry.

Do they also use AR to decrease credit limits and/or close accounts?

Message 1045 of 1,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Jan

Mar

May

Jul

Sep

Nov

Do they also use AR to decrease credit limits and/or close accounts?

Yes, but only in extreme cases

Message 1046 of 1,187
UncleB
Credit Mentor

All the information you could ever want (and more) regarding CLIs, ARs, second cards, etc. can be found over at:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/Navy-Federal-Thread-for-CLI-and-Additional-...

We need to keep this thread as focused on NFCU membership as possible, otherwise we'll end up with multiple threads running with all the same info. Smiley Wink

Message 1047 of 1,187
Credit_hawk
Established Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

All the information you could ever want (and more) regarding CLIs, ARs, second cards, etc. can be found over at:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/Navy-Federal-Thread-for-CLI-and-Additional-...

We need to keep this thread as focused on NFCU membership as possible, otherwise we'll end up with multiple threads running with all the same info. Smiley Wink

Uncle B, I have been on in a while. You're a moderator? Congrats brother!

Side note, even though I've lost interest in NFCU lately I wanted to mention I still have never received any mail from them since registering as a member on 12/28/16. I did receive the proper emails but never got my membership card and pin or whatever else you get via mail in the past two months. I don't know if this is normal as they're backed up or something went wrong. But I wasn't in a big rush anyway since I could have just used the emails to get an account but I wanted to add a DP on that front.

FICO- Experian: 797, TransUnion: 781, Equifax: 804 (Updated Monthly)
Message 1048 of 1,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just joined the NLUS- San Diego Council a few days ago, and just emailed my NFCU application materials this morning. Hoping for a smooth process Smiley Happy

Message 1049 of 1,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Just joined the NLUS- San Diego Council a few days ago, and just emailed my NFCU application materials this morning. Hoping for a smooth process Smiley Happy

Congratulations and welcome to Navy Federal, Bella! Wishing you the best with your new membership Smiley Happy

Message 1050 of 1,187
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.