cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy Federal CU - The REAL way in for those that dont qualify.

tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Navy Federal CU - The REAL way in for those that dont qualify.

It will be a shame for this thread to be locked because folks can't be civil to each other, but unless we change the tone quickly it will happen.

Please remember to keep your posts FSR (Friendly, Supportive, and Respectful) per the TOS of this website.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Forum-Etiquette/m-p/2797115

Message 191 of 216
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SublimeDavid

Could you post that email or at least pm it for those interested?  I can't see any harm in that.  While the circumstance is unfortunate, at least it would clarify for those who are just finding this thread and would spare them some disappointment.  I'm truly sorry you (and others) didn't make it in before it got shut down. 

Message 192 of 216
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I called in today to confirm the process on how to fund the account, the CSR asked if I knew a friend that had NFCU and asked for a name. I declined to provide and then no mention of it again. Not something I would have normally mentioned but maybe NFCU is doing some evaluations of their own?
Message 193 of 216
toothgrind3r
Established Contributor

I missed what happened in this thread over the past 24 hours or so, looks like some posts may have been deleted.  But I just wanted to chime in, as I am one of the people who did inquire with NFCU about this way in.

I did not lie to them.  I told them how I got in, and wanted to make sure it was okay.  That's why I messaged them to ask.  

My father, now deceased, was in the Navy.  Not joking, about one week before this thread was made, I DM'd NFCU to ask them if there was any way I could become a member, even though he wasn't.  They said give them a call to talk.  I got busy, never called, then this seemingly legit way in, which also supports the Navy League, was brought to my attention.  So I went with it.

I want NFCU to be my bank for the rest of my life.  So I did my due diligence to make sure that that could happen, with all due respect to the Navy League and NFCU.  

I've got some cards. Some are pretty, some are ugly. Some are more useful than others.
Message 194 of 216
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tupak42, I won't doubt that NFCU is doing evaluations of their own - as there was most likely a spike in gaining membership using NLUS-SD association last couple of weeks, and most of them most likely had applied for the same thing - CC and CLOC. My wild guess is that it's not a norm for some one to apply for both before the accounts are even funded.
Sorry for those that missed the opportunity to get in legally but I do agree with the post that NFSU not necessary has the best products. I personally think that Alliant is a much better CU for day to day banking.. You can actually transfer money in from any bank using ACH and you get the fund the next business day. They pay a much higher deposit rates as well. 1% vs .25% for savings and .65 vs .05 for checking. DCU and PENFed both have lower auto, HELOC and personal loan rates. NFCU does have superior array of CC options.
Message 195 of 216
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Subang65

I'm sure they keep track of all factors of the application including products applied for, whether direct deposit was requested, and for how much the accounts are being funded.   If the influx using NLUS-SD runs outside of expectations, which I'm pretty sure did Smiley Wink, it would be surprising if a few alarm bells weren't ringing.  We'll never know from where the shutdown got initiated but it could have just as easily been NFCU giving NLUS a call and asking what the h-e-double hockey sticks was going on. 

I didn't get any credit products and won't for quite a while.  I wanted in because so many present amd former military friends of mine are currently, and rave about the service.  The rest can come later when I'm an established member and have a decent amount squirreled away in my share savings. 

Message 196 of 216
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous

I'm sure they keep track of all factors of the application including products applied for, whether direct deposit was requested, and for how much the accounts are being funded.   If the influx using NLUS-SD runs outside of expectations, which I'm pretty sure did Smiley Wink, it would be surprising if a few alarm bells weren't ringing.  We'll never know from where the shutdown got initiated but it could have just as easily been NFCU giving NLUS a call and asking what the h-e-double hockey sticks was going on. 

I didn't get any credit products and won't for quite a while.  I wanted in because so many present amd former military friends of mine are currently, and rave about the service.  The rest can come later when I'm an established member and have a decent amount squirreled away in my share savings. 

Nah from the email I got it wasnt NFCU doing this, probably bc as another poster said it was part of the agreement when they took over the former credit union that had them as an agreement, it was the national part of NLUS that put a stop to it, my guess would be they eventually saw the postings online (you can google search and itll pop up) and when they saw how people were getting into another credit union that wasnt part of their agreement (Penfed Affinity and USAA) they put the breaks on accepting new members through SD council because they would be eligible with NFCU, this was all sent to me when I asked them why I had an email sent to me that said my membership was rejected and inquired as to why this happened.

Message 197 of 216
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

SublimeDavid,

Thanks for the responses and I'm sorry that your application was rejected.

i am curious to see what thr Navy League does with our memberships and what NFCU does with the accounts.

Life's a beach!

Guyatthebeach

Message 198 of 216
althes
Frequent Contributor

Good luck to all, I put mine in and waiting on a reply.

Message 199 of 216
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Guyatthebeach wrote:

SublimeDavid,

Thanks for the responses and I'm sorry that your application was rejected.

i am curious to see what thr Navy League does with our memberships and what NFCU does with the accounts.

Life's a beach!

Guyatthebeach

@Anonymous no biggy! Tbh not that impressed with NFCU I know they generally give out big limits but PenFed rates a lot of the time are better ,  What really interested me more was the affinity agrements they have in place with PenFed Amex Visa Siggy and Cash Gas card @741051.24% still makes NLUS worth Joining, that and the fact that you're supporting the military whom protect us all at the same time makes it worthwhile. 

Message 200 of 216
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.