Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy Federal_Eligible?

tag
MauiMan85297
Established Contributor

Navy Federal_Eligible?

With all the NFCU banter of late with low rates and great SL's I decided to go to their website and check if I'm eligible.  I answer these questions and at the end it says I'm not eligible to become a member, I thought NFCU is for military people, no? Is it only for active and retirees? I served a total of 12 years (3 active and 9 reserves) and was honorably discharged as I just wanted out after 3 different commitments.

I'm not considered retired nor do I draw any money from the government, do I have burial and VA benefits-yes, so what do you have to be to be eligible?

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Navy Federal_Eligible?

Have you tried calling in? I have heard instances where the eligibility said you werent but there were other ways after talking with the CSR if you have been in yourself, i could be wrong, but i dont think so

Message 2 of 18
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Call in and see. They have info on this and may be able to help.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 3 of 18
baller4life
Super Contributor

Unfortunately you would have had to serve 20+ years and retired in order to be eligible the conventional route. However, good news! Many have been successful joining this route:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Personal-Finance/Navy-Federal-CU-The-REAL-way-in-for-those-that-dont...
Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Go on over to the myfico general credit topics - personal finance. Theres additional information in a thread over/in there if the csr's don't yield a positive answer. Don't have to read it all, just the first post :-)
Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hahaha Baller - great minds post at the same time. Glad you pasted the link, I'm on my phone and couldn't make it work:-)
Message 6 of 18
MauiMan85297
Established Contributor

@baller4life wrote:
Unfortunately you would have had to serve 20+ years and retired in order to be eligible the conventional route. However, good news! Many have been successful joining this route:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Personal-Finance/Navy-Federal-CU-The-REAL-way-in-for-those-that-dont...

Thanks Baller, I'll call first to find out as I certainly don't want to do something that I will get credit then to find out they closed the account later on.

Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

USAA will welcome you with open arms. No hoops to jump through.

Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

USAA will welcome you with open arms. No hoops to jump through.

Agreed although I had no hoops with NFCU as of now. Fingers Crossed.

Message 9 of 18
creditguy
Valued Contributor

Just as a side note you can retire without serving 20 plus years. I know plenty of people who have had medical retirements under 20 years, plus there are 15 year retirements now, the years don't matter all that does is that you are retired.
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.