Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy Federal_Eligible?

tag
baller4life
Super Contributor

Re: Navy Federal_Eligible?

@creditguy wrote:
Just as a side note you can retire without serving 20 plus years. I know plenty of people who have had medical retirements under 20 years, plus there are 15 year retirements now, the years don't matter all that does is that you are retired.

Great point. And yes that is correct!

Message 11 of 18
MauiMan85297
Established Contributor

But doesn't the military (govt) consider you retired when you're receiving monetary funds from them?  NFCU states the word "retirees".  I'm calling later today when I get off work to see if I can get in, I will post results here.

Message 12 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@gsully00 wrote:

But doesn't the military (govt) consider you retired when you're receiving monetary funds from them?  NFCU states the word "retirees".  I'm calling later today when I get off work to see if I can get in, I will post results here.

Awesome! Good luck! 

Message 13 of 18
MauiMan85297
Established Contributor

Update **** They asked if I were receiving an annuity or pension from Govt, I said to her starting off the conversation that I served 11 years and I'm not medically disabled receiving money and was honorably discharged.  "Are you receiving any benefits" she says, I said well I'm using my VA loan benefit in a few months and I have free burial if that's what you mean, she then asked if I still have my ID card and told her no because there's no need for one as I don't shop on PX/Commissary.

You don't qualify to be a member...... So your mission statement and motto "Be the most preferred and trusted financial institution serving the military and their families." is not true because as a service member who served for 11 years and honorable you deny me to have an account there and say I don't qualify but thanks for your service but yet I could add $25 to an organization and go through a techinal backdoor and become a member.......... NO THANKS.

NFCU is not an organization I'd ever want to be associated with nonetheless keep my money with, you may give high CL credit cards with no perks, that's certainly not enough to sleep with the devil. 

Message 14 of 18
MauiMan85297
Established Contributor

@gsully00 wrote:

With all the NFCU banter of late with low rates and great SL's I decided to go to their website and check if I'm eligible.  I answer these questions and at the end it says I'm not eligible to become a member, I thought NFCU is for military people, no? Is it only for active and retirees? I served a total of 12 years (3 active and 9 reserves) and was honorably discharged as I just wanted out after 3 different commitments.

I'm not considered retired nor do I draw any money from the government, do I have burial and VA benefits-yes, so what do you have to be to be eligible?

After all this time and trouble of going through the back door, NFCU is allowing ALL Honorably discharged veterans membership starting Feb 6th!  It's about time they heard all the chatter about this as I believe that myself and the 19 million others have access to this FCU.

Message 15 of 18
MauiMan85297
Established Contributor

@gsully00 wrote:

Update **** They asked if I were receiving an annuity or pension from Govt, I said to her starting off the conversation that I served 11 years and I'm not medically disabled receiving money and was honorably discharged.  "Are you receiving any benefits" she says, I said well I'm using my VA loan benefit in a few months and I have free burial if that's what you mean, she then asked if I still have my ID card and told her no because there's no need for one as I don't shop on PX/Commissary.

You don't qualify to be a member...... So your mission statement and motto "Be the most preferred and trusted financial institution serving the military and their families." is not true because as a service member who served for 11 years and honorable you deny me to have an account there and say I don't qualify but thanks for your service but yet I could add $25 to an organization and go through a techinal backdoor and become a member.......... NO THANKS.

NFCU is not an organization I'd ever want to be associated with nonetheless keep my money with, you may give high CL credit cards with no perks, that's certainly not enough to sleep with the devil. 

I ate my words on this one as I wanted in to this CU so bad, it was my emotions at the time.

Message 16 of 18
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@gsully00 wrote:

@gsully00 wrote:

With all the NFCU banter of late with low rates and great SL's I decided to go to their website and check if I'm eligible.  I answer these questions and at the end it says I'm not eligible to become a member, I thought NFCU is for military people, no? Is it only for active and retirees? I served a total of 12 years (3 active and 9 reserves) and was honorably discharged as I just wanted out after 3 different commitments.

I'm not considered retired nor do I draw any money from the government, do I have burial and VA benefits-yes, so what do you have to be to be eligible?

After all this time and trouble of going through the back door, NFCU is allowing ALL Honorably discharged veterans membership starting Feb 6th!  It's about time they heard all the chatter about this as I believe that myself and the 19 million others have access to this FCU.

Yep, this is now being discussed here:  http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Personal-Finance/NFCU-to-Accept-Honorably-Discharged-and-not-Just-Re...

Congrats to all the newly eligible members!  Smiley Happy

Message 17 of 18
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

As the information in the original post is out-of-date, this thread will be closed from further discussion.

SunriseEarth

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.