Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
Reply
Community Leader
Super Contributor
Posts: 13,318
Registered: ‎09-13-2013

Re: Navy Federal_Eligible?


creditguy wrote:
Just as a side note you can retire without serving 20 plus years. I know plenty of people who have had medical retirements under 20 years, plus there are 15 year retirements now, the years don't matter all that does is that you are retired.

Great point. And yes that is correct!

Frequent Contributor
Posts: 391
Registered: ‎07-17-2015
0

Re: Navy Federal_Eligible?

But doesn't the military (govt) consider you retired when you're receiving monetary funds from them?  NFCU states the word "retirees".  I'm calling later today when I get off work to see if I can get in, I will post results here.

Current Score(01/17):EQ655TU658EX672 Mid Mtg 675
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,522
Registered: ‎10-21-2014
0

Re: Navy Federal_Eligible?


gsully00 wrote:

But doesn't the military (govt) consider you retired when you're receiving monetary funds from them?  NFCU states the word "retirees".  I'm calling later today when I get off work to see if I can get in, I will post results here.


Awesome! Good luck! 

| Quicksilver | Navy Cash Rewards | Barclay Rewards World | Amazon |
In the garden until my BK falls off in 2019!! #challengeaccepted EQ~646 TU~637 EX~645
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 391
Registered: ‎07-17-2015

Re: Navy Federal_Eligible?

Update **** They asked if I were receiving an annuity or pension from Govt, I said to her starting off the conversation that I served 11 years and I'm not medically disabled receiving money and was honorably discharged.  "Are you receiving any benefits" she says, I said well I'm using my VA loan benefit in a few months and I have free burial if that's what you mean, she then asked if I still have my ID card and told her no because there's no need for one as I don't shop on PX/Commissary.

 

You don't qualify to be a member...... So your mission statement and motto "Be the most preferred and trusted financial institution serving the military and their families." is not true because as a service member who served for 11 years and honorable you deny me to have an account there and say I don't qualify but thanks for your service but yet I could add $25 to an organization and go through a techinal backdoor and become a member.......... NO THANKS.

 

NFCU is not an organization I'd ever want to be associated with nonetheless keep my money with, you may give high CL credit cards with no perks, that's certainly not enough to sleep with the devil. 

Current Score(01/17):EQ655TU658EX672 Mid Mtg 675
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 391
Registered: ‎07-17-2015
0

Re: Navy Federal_Eligible?


gsully00 wrote:

With all the NFCU banter of late with low rates and great SL's I decided to go to their website and check if I'm eligible.  I answer these questions and at the end it says I'm not eligible to become a member, I thought NFCU is for military people, no? Is it only for active and retirees? I served a total of 12 years (3 active and 9 reserves) and was honorably discharged as I just wanted out after 3 different commitments.

I'm not considered retired nor do I draw any money from the government, do I have burial and VA benefits-yes, so what do you have to be to be eligible?


After all this time and trouble of going through the back door, NFCU is allowing ALL Honorably discharged veterans membership starting Feb 6th!  It's about time they heard all the chatter about this as I believe that myself and the 19 million others have access to this FCU.

Current Score(01/17):EQ655TU658EX672 Mid Mtg 675
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 391
Registered: ‎07-17-2015
0

Re: Navy Federal_Eligible?


gsully00 wrote:

Update **** They asked if I were receiving an annuity or pension from Govt, I said to her starting off the conversation that I served 11 years and I'm not medically disabled receiving money and was honorably discharged.  "Are you receiving any benefits" she says, I said well I'm using my VA loan benefit in a few months and I have free burial if that's what you mean, she then asked if I still have my ID card and told her no because there's no need for one as I don't shop on PX/Commissary.

 

You don't qualify to be a member...... So your mission statement and motto "Be the most preferred and trusted financial institution serving the military and their families." is not true because as a service member who served for 11 years and honorable you deny me to have an account there and say I don't qualify but thanks for your service but yet I could add $25 to an organization and go through a techinal backdoor and become a member.......... NO THANKS.

 

NFCU is not an organization I'd ever want to be associated with nonetheless keep my money with, you may give high CL credit cards with no perks, that's certainly not enough to sleep with the devil. 


I ate my words on this one as I wanted in to this CU so bad, it was my emotions at the time.

 

Current Score(01/17):EQ655TU658EX672 Mid Mtg 675
Moderator
Posts: 6,806
Registered: ‎06-20-2015

Re: Navy Federal_Eligible?


gsully00 wrote:

gsully00 wrote:

With all the NFCU banter of late with low rates and great SL's I decided to go to their website and check if I'm eligible.  I answer these questions and at the end it says I'm not eligible to become a member, I thought NFCU is for military people, no? Is it only for active and retirees? I served a total of 12 years (3 active and 9 reserves) and was honorably discharged as I just wanted out after 3 different commitments.

I'm not considered retired nor do I draw any money from the government, do I have burial and VA benefits-yes, so what do you have to be to be eligible?


After all this time and trouble of going through the back door, NFCU is allowing ALL Honorably discharged veterans membership starting Feb 6th!  It's about time they heard all the chatter about this as I believe that myself and the 19 million others have access to this FCU.


Yep, this is now being discussed here:  http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Personal-Finance/NFCU-to-Accept-Honorably-Discharged-and-not-Just-Re...

 

Congrats to all the newly eligible members!  Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Moderator
Posts: 8,834
Registered: ‎08-12-2013
0

Re: Navy Federal_Eligible?

As the information in the original post is out-of-date, this thread will be closed from further discussion.

 

SunriseEarth

Moderator




Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 769 (TU08, 1/4/17)
Sam's Club MC $25000 | AMEX BCE $20400 | Discover IT $18000 |Cap 1 QS WMC $16500 | NFCU CLOC $15000 | JCP $15000 | Care Credit $10200 | BofA BBR #1 $10100 | CashForward $10000 | CU Visa $10000 | Marvel MC $10000 | Macy's Store $10000 | Citi DC $9600 | Amazon Store $8000 | US Bank Cash+ VS $7500 | Blispay $7500 | BofA BBR #2 $7000 | Sallie Mae WMC $6500 | Macy's AMEX $5000 | Sony Card $4250 | Target $1900 | Costco Anywhere $1700 | ~~Gardening Since 12/25/16

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.