Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
Frequent Contributor

Navy Federal_Eligible?

With all the NFCU banter of late with low rates and great SL's I decided to go to their website and check if I'm eligible.  I answer these questions and at the end it says I'm not eligible to become a member, I thought NFCU is for military people, no? Is it only for active and retirees? I served a total of 12 years (3 active and 9 reserves) and was honorably discharged as I just wanted out after 3 different commitments.

I'm not considered retired nor do I draw any money from the government, do I have burial and VA benefits-yes, so what do you have to be to be eligible?

Current Score(05/20/17):EQ671TU670EX674 Mid Mtg 675
Regular Contributor

Re: Navy Federal_Eligible?

Have you tried calling in? I have heard instances where the eligibility said you werent but there were other ways after talking with the CSR if you have been in yourself, i could be wrong, but i dont think so

Starting scores: 05/17/15 EQ-463, TU-487, EX-493
Current scores: 04/2017 EQ-628, TU-682, EX-669
Valued Contributor

Call in and see. They have info on this and may be able to help.
EX 08 Fico: 729 TU 08 Fico: 735EQ 08 Fico: 740Total Credit Line: $128,600Utilization: 6%Inquiries:EX-6TU-7EQ-5

Community Leader
Super Contributor

Unfortunately you would have had to serve 20+ years and retired in order to be eligible the conventional route. However, good news! Many have been successful joining this route:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Personal-Finance/Navy-Federal-CU-The-REAL-way-in-for-those-that-dont...
Valued Contributor

Go on over to the myfico general credit topics - personal finance. Theres additional information in a thread over/in there if the csr's don't yield a positive answer. Don't have to read it all, just the first post :-)
Valued Contributor

Hahaha Baller - great minds post at the same time. Glad you pasted the link, I'm on my phone and couldn't make it work:-)
Frequent Contributor

baller4life wrote:
Unfortunately you would have had to serve 20+ years and retired in order to be eligible the conventional route. However, good news! Many have been successful joining this route:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Personal-Finance/Navy-Federal-CU-The-REAL-way-in-for-those-that-dont...

Thanks Baller, I'll call first to find out as I certainly don't want to do something that I will get credit then to find out they closed the account later on.

Current Score(05/20/17):EQ671TU670EX674 Mid Mtg 675
Senior Contributor

USAA will welcome you with open arms. No hoops to jump through.

Gardening until tomorrow.
Frequent Contributor

CAPTOOL wrote:

USAA will welcome you with open arms. No hoops to jump through.

Agreed although I had no hoops with NFCU as of now. Fingers Crossed.

Staring Score: EQ 597 TU 617 EX 566 (01/22/2016)Current Score: EQ 667 TU 701 EX 744 (05/26/2016)
Community Leader
Valued Contributor

Just as a side note you can retire without serving 20 plus years. I know plenty of people who have had medical retirements under 20 years, plus there are 15 year retirements now, the years don't matter all that does is that you are retired.

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.