cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy League Member Drive contest - I win??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Navy League Member Drive contest - I win??

I got the email from the Navy League saying they were having a member drive contest, and that the member that got the most people to sign up would win an iPad or something.  I would never push the point, but just for grins I suppose I win???  Lol  

Its wonderful to see everyone enjoying their NFCU memberships.  I had no idea that this would turn into what it did.  I have gotten PMs that my thread is showing up in other forums all over the place.  This has probably touched thousands at this point.

Happy Holidays everyone.

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

Re: Navy League Member Drive contest - I win??

I joined NLSD last week but ultimately joined NFCU thru my active duty son. Just received my welcome email from NLSD today after I deposited our loan check. But that's ok, it's a good organization to support regardless
Message 2 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@rmduhon wrote:
I joined NLSD last week but ultimately joined NFCU thru my active duty son. Just received my welcome email from NLSD today after I deposited our loan check. But that's ok, it's a good organization to support regardless
Did your welcome email have San Diego in there? I got my welcome email a few days after I signed up, but there was no mention of San Diego on there. It was just a generic welcome email.
Message 3 of 20
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

I double checked to make sure. It does say 'Your council is San Diego'. The email was headed 'Welcome to the Navy League '.
Message 4 of 20
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

It was about halfway down the email
Message 5 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@rmduhon wrote:
It was about halfway down the email
Thanks for taking the time to do that. I lost count of how many times I've read the email. Lol I just read it again. No mention of SD anywhere. Got some good news though. I just called NFCU for a status update and while I was on hold, I got a notification for a credit inquiry. A few minutes later, the rep came back and told me she pushed my application through. Too bad I wasn't able to get into NFCU while I was still on active duty in the military. Glad I was finally able to join though NLUS-SD.
Message 6 of 20
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

Glad you are in. And thank you for your service
Message 7 of 20
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

You're Welcome, 

I think you would have won! I think you definitely earned your angel wings for helping all of us.

Message 8 of 20
OldFatJarhead
New Contributor

I would definitely like to extend a huge thank you to you, Mr/Mrs YoureWelcome. I'm a Marine Corps veteran and used to have a Navy Federal account my entire time in the Marines. I had savings, checking, and a motorcycle loan through them. Once I got out of the Marines, I fell on hard times working through school. I mean living out of a backpack in San Diego hard times, which granted isn't as bad as say Buffalo in the winter, but I was flat broke and busted and they eventually found me and repo'd the motorcycle.

Many years later, I was a software developer making decent money and wanted to re-establish my standing with NFCU. I paid off the motorcycle loan but didn't do anything else with my accounts since I was already established with other banks and with only one nearby nfcu branch, banking with them didn't make much sense. Internet banking was still very cludgy. I also believed the hype about "once a member, always a member" so I figured if I ever needed an auto loan or something, I'd reach out to them then. Welp, that day came a few years ago and I called them up and was told, "there hasn't been any activity on your account for years and all your accounts were charged off almost 15 years ago." I was told since I was no longer active duty or reserves, I'd need a sponsor like any other person without direct elligibility. I asked if there was nothing that could be done and the CSR, apologetic as they were, said no and that was that.

I recently found out they opened up membership to "household members", and I was seriously looking for a room-mate who was elligible. While researching that avenue, stumbled onto your threads. I app'd on Thanksgiving night and just got the the email asking for ID and such. I have mixed feelings about using such a "back door" to be elligible for membership, but the way I see it, I should still be a member anyway. I never withdrew my last $5 share so I don't know what happened to my account. And the thing that really ticks me off is I eventually paid off the MC loan in full. Years late, but I still paid every **bleep** cent, late fees and all. I guess there was some fine print in the MC loan agreement that allowed them to liquidate my shares in case of default or something. I think it's terrible that NFCU doesn't tell veterans about this avenue of elligibility but I guess they have their reasons. But thankfully, good people like you are spreading the word. Thank you!

Message 9 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, You're Welcome!!!   Haha

Truly I appreciate the step by step instructions, and I am a Happy NFCU member thanks to you!     Ironically my dad was a navy officer, but let his membership lapse, so I was happy to find a way in.

Now for my husband searching checklist, I can check that one off the list of requirements Smiley Happy     

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.